5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting front skid plate

976-HIKE

Reaction score

They don’t send out the pointy stars in the picture anymore. They sent me the rounded ones, and only after emailing did they send the sharp ones. May want to email them in advance.

The grey stripes (and stars) are just the exposed primer. I masked everything with masking tape.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

They don’t send out the pointy stars in the picture anymore. They sent me the rounded ones, and only after emailing did they send the sharp ones. May want to email them in advance.

The grey stripes (and stars) are just the exposed primer. I masked everything with masking tape.
Thank you!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The flag is super cool, just trying to think of way you could make that more permanent? Seems challenging if you really want it to look good. Maybe spray linex and immediately pull the masking and stencils or what not and hope it doesn’t distort

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Not sure on the best bet to making it more permanent. Bead-blasting the factory finish could make the paint adhere better, but that would require removing the plate, having access to bead-blasting equipment, and worrying about rust.

Line-X is textured, so getting the star pattern sharp would probably not possible for anyone without expensive, specialized equipment that may or may not exist. I also looked into getting the plate line-Xed, but the shop who did my bed said they couldn't do the plate for some reason, and recommended I powder-coat it. Powder-coat places around here all estimate lengthy turnaround times, and I didn't want it done badly enough to deal with poor business models. I called four of them, and not one would allow an appointment in advance; just drop off and pick up in a couple weeks.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Had mine done with LineX when they did the bed.

View attachment 32403
did they take the bumper off to LineX the skid plate or did they just mask it off while the skid plate was attached? I got two different opinions from diff guys - one said he can just mask it off and spray while still attached. Another guy said he has to take off the bumper because there's no way to do it right - get in the crevices - while its still on the truck. that could be a real reason or just a way to charge me more. What did they do on yours?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s always been my experience with powder coating too. You’d almost want to just buy a second one then swap it...

I’m curious about the linex too. I haven’t been to any shops yet, I don’t really want it removed but without removing it then you could get some other issues.

I wonder what a new one cost.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious about bumper removal or. It as well pls/thx

976-HIKE

Reaction score
I wouldn't see any advantage to removing the bumper just to get to the skid plate, but there's a lot involved in removing the skid plate, including removing some plastic trimming that surrounds the steel bumper. There are metal clips under there that probably need a special tool to remove without damaging them, in addition to several nuts that need to be removed in some hard-to-reach areas.

mustard54

Reaction score
I wouldn't see any advantage to removing the bumper just to get to the skid plate, but there's a lot involved in removing the skid plate, including removing some plastic trimming that surrounds the steel bumper. There are metal clips under there that probably need a special tool to remove without damaging them, in addition to several nuts that need to be removed in some hard-to-reach areas.

No advantage at all. When I had mine done my buddy did it and tapped it all off. He looked at removal but that included taking the bumper off to get to the skid plate. You cannot tell it wasn’t removed and just painted over with three coats while in place. JMHO

174e9a54783cb30c7fdcbc587b507fce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badassbaldie

Reaction score
Yet another option is to plasti-dip the skid plate and then paint over the plasti-dip. That way, you can easily remove it later and the stock silver will still be unmolested.

Honestly, I generally hate plasti-dip by itself (fades, etc) but using it as a removable sub layer actually works well. A little harder to remove than without paint but still doable (goo-gone works best). Plus, 2-3 coats of paint and even a clear definitely adds to its durability.

I was going to remove my skid plate & vinyl wrap it but now I might go the plast-dip route (i.e. won’t have to remove it from the truck).

reconshaun

Reaction score
I took my bumper off and took it apart to have just the skid plate coated in Line-X. I even took pictures about half way through the tear down so I could post the how-to for those interested. In short, I was successful but it was such a pain in the ***. I would say it is definitely not worth it, but it looks good so I do not regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread