5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting front skid plate

wpghemi

Reaction score
Has anybody painted the front skid plate? what kind of paint are you using???

SacRebel

Reaction score
Even powdercoating is going to scrape off. It's silver for a reason..so scrapes are not as evident.

JD FOX

Reaction score
I work at a body shop. I am planning on doing a satin black in the next few months. Ill post here once I do it.
Yes it may chip overtime with rocks but I have an easier route to get it redone than most.

ryco25

Reaction score
I did it with plastidip. Quick easy and cheap and it’s held up great for 3 months plus an off-roading trip. Easy to mask, easy to remove.

Attachments

• C8DA105D-DEAE-4D65-B324-5C8644B3428A.jpeg
    C8DA105D-DEAE-4D65-B324-5C8644B3428A.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 448

mustard54

Reaction score
Just got the Badge and Skid Plate done. Very happy with the outcome.
584f2a130f2d43745d977c4b3425d2c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustard54

Reaction score
Took it to a friend of mine for a $130 he put three coats on it and a clear coat. Well worth it. Very happy with the blackout look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
There’s a YouTuber who I don’t believe I’ve seen on this site who has a rebel grill, bumper and skid plate color matched. I think it looks pretty good!

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Just finished mine. The paint will likely be extraordinarily delicate, since I didn't sand down the plate, I just rattle-canned over it. However, I didn't want to worry about rust when it inevitably scratched anyway, so I left the nice finish under it. When it gets worn, it'll just have that distressed look all the kids are into. I elected not to remove the plate, since I looked under there for about thirty minutes before I realized it would take much less time and headache to just tape off the rest of the truck.

IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0736.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just finished mine. The paint will likely be extraordinarily delicate, since I didn't sand down the plate, I just rattle-canned over it. However, I didn't want to worry about rust when it inevitably scratched anyway, so I left the nice finish under it. When it gets worn, it'll just have that distressed look all the kids are into. I elected not to remove the plate, since I looked under there for about thirty minutes before I realized it would take much less time and headache to just tape off the rest of the truck.

IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0736.jpg

Wow. Looks amazing!!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

IMG-0735.jpg

IMG-0736.jpg

Digging the Stars and stripes. How did you do it?

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Rattle-can, masking tape, and 3" star stickers.

The flag dimensions are available at http://www.usflag.org/flagspecs.html I did the math, and they work out to the following on the Rebel skid plate:

overall width = 54"
star backdrop = 29.07"
stripe width = 4.1526"
star diameter = 3.264"
distance from top to midsection of first star = 2.916"
distance from side to midsection of first star = 3.4"
distance between midsections of stars, alternating = 2.916"
distance between midsections of stars, in a row = 5.832"

Remember that "top" and "side" are rotated on this design. The star diameter was reduced to 3" stars I could find on Amazon, so the proportions there aren't exact, and creating them myself was not an option.

I primered the whole thing, masked off what was needed, then sprayed black. After that, two coats of clear matte finish. I'd have put thirty coats on it, but the manufacturer recommends no more than two or else it starts to get whited out.

I really like the result, although I know its durability won't be great. I think FCA is leaving money on the table by not offering designs like this from the factory. If anyone works for FCA, I'd be happy to offer insights, and I work cheap. :)

Patsy1099

Reaction score

The flag dimensions are available at http://www.usflag.org/flagspecs.html I did the math, and they work out to the following on the Rebel skid plate:

overall width = 54"
star backdrop = 29.07"
stripe width = 4.1526"
star diameter = 3.264"

Remember that "top" and "side" are rotated on this design. The star diameter was reduced to 3" stars I could find on Amazon, so the proportions there aren't exact, and creating them myself was not an option.

I primered the whole thing, masked off what was needed, then sprayed black. After that, two coats of clear matte finish. I'd have put thirty coats on it, but the manufacturer recommends no more than two or else it starts to get whited out.

I really like the result, although I know its durability won't be great. I think FCA is leaving money on the table by not offering designs like this from the factory. If anyone works for FCA, I'd be happy to offer insights, and I work cheap. :)

Awesome! Thank you very much (y)

Patsy1099

Reaction score

overall width = 54"
star backdrop = 29.07"
stripe width = 4.1526"
star diameter = 3.264"

Do you have a link for the Stars? What material did you use for the stripes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/