5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P rated vs LT rated.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I had a thread on here where I was looking for new A/T tires. Decided on the Falken Wildpeaks for my do everything Las Vegas shoes. (Highway, mild off roading, snow twice a year) Buuut...I've decided to go ahead with the P rated versions.
Here's Why....:
lightweight (I think 62lbs for a stock A/T is a little heavy) cheaper, P rated can still handle the cargo hauling capacity of the Ram 1500 Hemi. I only haul and pull heavy weight maybe twice per year. Not enough to warrant a hit on the gas mileage or additional wear and tear. Thoughts??? I wouldn't mind some input from others with experience with the LT rated ones or both of them...

Last edited:

myles

Reaction score
Currently have the stock p rated tires, but as soon as these wear out im switching to LT/10ply tires. P-rated tires are too squishy for towing, and squish=higher temps which = higher chance of blow outs. And if you do off-roading you are more likely to have a something puncture the tire.

Worse mileage and little bit rougher ride is worth it for me on 10-ply tires, but stock size 10-plys wont change your mileage too much, its when you go up to larger diameter/width that kills mileage.
If you dont tow much or offroad then p-rated tires will be good.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently have the stock p rated tires, but as soon as these wear out im switching to LT/10ply tires. P-rated tires are too squishy for towing, and squish=higher temps which = higher chance of blow outs. And if you do off-roading you are more likely to have a something puncture the tire.

Worse mileage and little bit rougher ride is worth it for me on 10-ply tires, but stock size 10-plys wont change your mileage too much, its when you go up to larger diameter/width that kills mileage.
If you dont tow much or offroad then p-rated tires will be good.
I was thinking about some of the same points you mentioned. I drive around on GY all season P rated tires now in 115°F, haven't had any issues. But I was only considering the LTs for off roading protection...even though I'm in the desert where it's more big sandy hills instead of sharp rocks.

jkm312

Reaction score
Depends on how far and how heavy you tow and the heavy haul loads take you. In hot summers the road bed will be hotter than the air temp. If you don't go very far then the lighter tires make sense in what you are trying to accomplish. I haven't seen many out and out blow outs, but I have seen a couple people who have rolled one the front tires off the rim because they went into the turn too hard and the sidewall couldn't take the added stress. If you air down in the sand can the sidewalls stand the rigors of the days drive? Just some points to consider.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how far and how heavy you tow and the heavy haul loads take you. In hot summers the road bed will be hotter than the air temp. If you don't go very far then the lighter tires make sense in what you are trying to accomplish. I haven't seen many out and out blow outs, but I have seen a couple people who have rolled one the front tires off the rim because they went into the turn too hard and the sidewall couldn't take the added stress. If you air down in the sand can the sidewalls stand the rigors of the days drive? Just some points to consider.
This is exactly why I was considering an LT. Very valid point. I guess at the end of the day what's stopping me from getting LTs is the price and the added weight of the LT tires...being completely honest here.
Also I was figuring that the all terrain Falken Wildpeaks...even in P rating..should be able to handle more in every aspect over a regular P rated all season/highway tire. Or is that me being Naive? Lol.

Barqs

Reaction score
I'm looking at the P-rated OEM Falken Wildpeaks as well. I don't tow (much), and off-roading is grass field parking for me nowaways. I like the way the Falkens look on the ORP trucks, and have heard nothing but good reports from their owners. My Bridgestones have been suffering from the side wear that many on these forums complain about, and I don't think I'll get 30k on them before the outside treads start to go bald and blister. The tire guys have been pushing me towards the LTs as they stock those and not the P-rates, but they can get the P's in a few days. Cheaper, lighter, and Raised White Letter option is available (I'm old-school and still like the RWL).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at the P-rated OEM Falken Wildpeaks as well. I don't tow (much), and off-roading is grass field parking for me nowaways. I like the way the Falkens look on the ORP trucks, and have heard nothing but good reports from their owners. My Bridgestones have been suffering from the side wear that many on these forums complain about, and I don't think I'll get 30k on them before the outside treads start to go bald and blister. The tire guys have been pushing me towards the LTs as they stock those and not the P-rates, but they can get the P's in a few days. Cheaper, lighter, and Raised White Letter option is available (I'm old-school and still like the RWL).
I hear ya. I decided on the P rated too since they're cheaper, lighter and I got discount tire to do a price match with me for $168 per tire on the P rated ones. 275/65/18R size anyway. Good deal. No point in spending more money just to spend more money on gas, wear and tear from turning heavier tires when I don't tow much or do a lot of off roading lol. Just hoping the P rated will stand up to high heat.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
P rated if you don’t tow or haul anything heavy and you mostly drive on paved roads. If you tow a travel trailer, haul something heavy in the bed and drive Offroad for recreation or work LT is the only way to go. Every single half ton truck I’ve owned has got LT tires put on almost immediately based on my lifestyle. The other thing is P rated All terrain tires have shallower tread depth which reduces the tires capability to bite and or clean itself out. Saving $150 dollars on something you are going to get years of use out of isn’t a bargain hunting success.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
P rated if you don’t tow or haul anything heavy and you mostly drive on paved roads. If you tow a travel trailer, haul something heavy in the bed and drive Offroad for recreation or work LT is the only way to go. Every single half ton truck I’ve owned has got LT tires put on almost immediately based on my lifestyle. The other thing is P rated All terrain tires have shallower tread depth which reduces the tires capability to bite and or clean itself out. Saving $150 dollars on something you are going to get years of use out of isn’t a bargain hunting success.
That was my way of thinking too, it would definitely be worth the extra $ if I always tow/haul and off road. Seeing how I only go off road a few times a year and haul no more than 1.5k, the cost outweighs the benefits for me. But I was told that the tread for the Wildpeaks is the same for P rated as the LT except for that P rated is Slightly softer...

Barqs

Reaction score
I hear ya. I decided on the P rated too since they're cheaper, lighter and I got discount tire to do a price match with me for $168 per tire on the P rated ones. 275/65/18R size anyway. Good deal. No point in spending more money just to spend more money on gas, wear and tear from turning heavier tires when I don't tow much or do a lot of off roading lol. Just hoping the P rated will stand up to high heat.
Doing the same thing with Discount Tire on a set of 275/55R20's next week!

Barqs

Reaction score
Well today's Amazon search just put a different spin on things. I can actually get the LT's for less than the P's, by about $58 for the set of 4. So there goes the price argument. The tread pattern appears to be less aggressive on the P's, which would likely provide a quieter and smoother ride on the highway, where I do most of my driving. And the weight difference may also play in fuel economy. The RWL is not a deal-breaker, but I really need to make a decision. Anyone out there try the P's and the LT's on the same truck to get a feel for ride quality and fuel economy differences?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ride quality difference will be negligent as long as you don’t air them up too much. About 45 psi in the front and 40 in the rear and they will be smooth as can be. Since you aren’t going up in height the most you might lose is 1- 1.5 mpg but that is debateable.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not true, P’s are 14/32 tread depth and LT’s are 18/32. It’s a pretty big difference.
Crap lol.
Well still...don't want 60lb tires. They do say that the P rated ones will last longer though and that's why there's a higher mileage warranty on the P rated so I guess time will tell.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the choice, P rating all day every day. Here's why:

- Significantly less weight
- Better MPG
- Better ride quality
- Better rain/snow traction due to different silica compound
- Load rating is still overkill for a 1500 series truck, even if towing in any weather conditions
- Significantly less expensive to purchase

Keep in mind that the Wildpeak A/T3WA has paper thin sidewalls, but the A/T3W that you buy through the aftermarket has VERY thick sidewalls even in the 2-ply sidewall P-rated version. They're beef.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well today's Amazon search just put a different spin on things. I can actually get the LT's for less than the P's, by about $58 for the set of 4. So there goes the price argument. The tread pattern appears to be less aggressive on the P's, which would likely provide a quieter and smoother ride on the highway, where I do most of my driving. And the weight difference may also play in fuel economy. The RWL is not a deal-breaker, but I really need to make a decision. Anyone out there try the P's and the LT's on the same truck to get a feel for ride quality and fuel economy differences?
Price argument is still valid...Amazon doesn't have the LTs for 275/65/18R size. I just double checked. But if you can get your size for that price I'd say go for it!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the choice, P rating all day every day. Here's why:

- Significantly less weight
- Better MPG
- Better ride quality
- Better rain/snow traction due to different silica compound
- Load rating is still overkill for a 1500 series truck, even if towing in any weather conditions
- Significantly less expensive to purchase

Keep in mind that the Wildpeak A/T3WA has paper thin sidewalls, but the A/T3W that you buy through the aftermarket has VERY thick sidewalls even in the 2-ply sidewall P-rated version. They're beef.
My thoughts exactly. The only reason I was going to get the LTs were due to the 10 ply/ better sidewall protection. I didn't think they were worth more money JUST for that when it came to my needs. The tire load exceeds what my BigHorn bed load rating is lol...even after considering the weight of the empty truck.

Barqs

Reaction score
Ride quality is probably my biggest concern over all other issues. I'm going from a highway tire which I love the ride quality but hate the look and frankly the side tread wear issues plaguing these Bridgestones, so I'm still leaning towards the A/T3WA's even if I can get the A/T3W's for less and they're beefier tires for the money. Maybe by my next tires (hopefully in more than 30k miles) I'll be willing to sacrifice ride for looks and off-road potential. But it won't hurt to see if they'll give me the WA's for the W pricing anyway, right? ;-)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ride quality is probably my biggest concern over all other issues. I'm going from a highway tire which I love the ride quality but hate the look and frankly the side tread wear issues plaguing these Bridgestones, so I'm still leaning towards the A/T3WA's even if I can get the A/T3W's for less and they're beefier tires for the money. Maybe by my next tires (hopefully in more than 30k miles) I'll be willing to sacrifice ride for looks and off-road potential. But it won't hurt to see if they'll give me the WA's for the W pricing anyway, right? ;-)
Worth a try...I noticed that the WA is for OEM Ram off road but only has a load index of either 110 or 113. Isn't that a little low..?

Users who are viewing this thread