5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P rated vs LT rated.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, that’s why I finished with your mileage may vary. I have ran LT tires on the last 6 half ton trucks I’ve owned and continue to do so.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
We're considering tire options as well in preparation for a travel trailer purchase. I've not researched it significantly (yet), but the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT All-Season (LT275/65R18) seems to surface as a most likely choice at this point for our needs. A bit more on the premium $$ side, but it seems to be a good balance of pros/cons for our needs.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sure I am in the minority when it comes to tire overkill but an LT tire with a load capacity of 3300 and change per tire seems like overkill on a 1/2 ton truck with a rear axle weight capacity of 4100. I will take the word of the engineers that developed my truck and tires and stay within their weight rating :)

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sure I am in the minority when it comes to tire overkill but an LT tire with a load capacity of 3300 and change per tire seems like overkill on a 1/2 ton truck with a rear axle weight capacity of 4100. I will take the word of the engineers that developed my truck and tires and stay within their weight rating :)

Its not just about load capacity, you can adjust load capacity with psi. It’s about the construction of the tire, strength of the sidewall, depth of the tread, etc.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're considering tire options as well in preparation for a travel trailer purchase. I've not researched it significantly (yet), but the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT All-Season (LT275/65R18) seems to surface as a most likely choice at this point for our needs. A bit more on the premium $$ side, but it seems to be a good balance of pros/cons for our needs.

good choice!

highgear2005

Reaction score
I’m a cooper fan! All my trucks get upgraded to LT tires, doesn’t the deeper tread offset some of the cost? I’ll be lucky to get 25k from the stock p tires, and I’ll be near 40k with my LT. It does come down to personal choice. Even with my cooper LT, I still choose to buy winter tires. I’m two miles from the main road, with a 1/4 mile steep gravel driveway. For me winter tires are a must along with 300lbs of sand bags in my bed. I’ll take the hit on my mpg if it helps keeping me on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not just about load capacity, you can adjust load capacity with psi. It’s about the construction of the tire, strength of the sidewall, depth of the tread, etc.
Load capacity and sidewall construction go hand in hand. As sidewall construction increases so does load capacity ;)

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All my trucks get upgraded to LT tires, doesn’t the deeper tread offset some of the cost?

Heck yeah it does, if a guy wants a better quality all terrain tire than the stock tires their truck comes with it’s because you desire more traction in non pavement driving or winter snow. Then they go with a P rated tire which is the same as a nearly worn out LT tire as far as tread depth goes. I just don’t get it?

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I tend to trust the engineers and wouldn't expect them to introduce a variable that doesn't allow the vehicle to operate within its intended specifications. Like all things, each owner has their own use cases that are specific to their needs. Personally, I'm looking for a tire that has the additional rigidity for more regular load hauling, as well as a slightly more aggressive tread and strength to handle driving around our property where they're getting beat up by exposed rocks, tree stumps, and service road surprises (like rebar... >.<). While having a watchful eye and paying attention to what you're driving on/over/around is always the best approach, it's nice to have a little more insurance for those O-S moment. YMMV. :)

Barqs

Reaction score
All good arguments for the LT tires, but as you all have mentioned all our needs may differ and YMMV.

My choice was limited by my desire to stay with the factory 275/55R20 size. I would have had to up-size to either a 275/65R20 or 285/55R20 on the Falkens to get an LT tire, so for me that was a non-starter. I could have gone with the BFG A/T KO2 and gotten the LT275/55R20, but I was looking for something different as the KO2, while proven, is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm happy with my choice on the P275/55R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, but if I ever decide to do more with my truck than I do now I'd consider upgrading wheels and tires to meet the needs. But for now I've got a '95 Wrangler on 33 BFG's in my garage to scratch my off-road itch. ;-)

Polo08816

Reaction score
I have the XL but haven’t towed a TT with them yet, but I plan on it. The load capacity rating for them is 2833. Max load my rear axle can handle is 4100. They should be more than adequate.

The answer to me is why? I know all of us have different uses of our trucks, some people never leave the paved road and tow nothing or haul nothing with their trucks and that’s why they designed the P rated tires for full size trucks. If you drive in multiseasonal weather, use 4wd regularly, tow heavy loads or haul heavy loads or spend substantial time off paved roads , I want a truck tire! I want it to not have paper thin sidewalls, I want it to have full tread depth not half tread depth and when I push on the side of my truck I don’t want to see the sidewalls roll sideways. You don’t lose any ride quality if you keep your air pressure appropriate and the handling is so much better even in moderate to high speed cornering. I have no use for P rated or XL rated tires In a full size 4wd truck. Your mileage may vary!

Slightly greater load capacity rating than the standard P tires. Ultimately, the load is going to be limited by the rear axle for a 1/2 ton and it's most likely due to the spring rate.

It’s a truck! And trucks should have LT tires! When you need them, their there! Nobody buys a truck and worry’s about the poor gas mileage. Drive it hard and enjoy it, before some government asshat takes them away from us.

But where does this stop? Why even buy a 1/2 ton? You could make the argument it's not a real truck. Just get a 1 ton.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m a LT tire guy the tires are less for giving mean when you turn, the truck turns there’s no squish no roll and the shoulder of the tires (the edges) don’t wear out prematurely. If you compare the two a P and a LT not mounted the P tire you can about collapse a LT isn’t budging. As For ride I can’t tell the difference going straight down the road and IF you decide to tow you have a tire capable with no problems. A LT tire on a 1500 which I have isn’t as stiff as ride as 2500 on LT’s. I guess it’s like gas some like 87 the cheapest and others like 93 the best and so on and so on. Like cheap beer or cheap steak it’s all a choice.

Agree. I for one had to spend almost $800 replacing all 4 on a full-time awd suv when I slit the sidewall of a P tire on a piece of riprock that was loose in the paved road. An LT might not have failed. That alone would have been worth about 100K of mpg difference, not to mention the tow and a 6 hour delay on the trip.

Johnny Grand

Reaction score
Ride quality is probably my biggest concern over all other issues. I'm going from a highway tire which I love the ride quality but hate the look and frankly the side tread wear issues plaguing these Bridgestones, so I'm still leaning towards the A/T3WA's even if I can get the A/T3W's for less and they're beefier tires for the money. Maybe by my next tires (hopefully in more than 30k miles) I'll be willing to sacrifice ride for looks and off-road potential. But it won't hurt to see if they'll give me the WA's for the W pricing anyway, right? ;-)
I know it's been a while but I was curious if you made a decision between the P and LT tires? I have a limited with the air suspension and I'm also concerned about losing ride quality and road noise going to an LT tire. Please let me know and thanks

Users who are viewing this thread