5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P rated vs LT rated.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I emailed Falken and asked them what the recommended PSI is....and what PSI to air down to for mild off roading....on a P rated Wildpeak lol. I'm expecting an interesting response . They'll probably just say something like "we don't recommend airing down off road with P rated" which would cover their a$$es but I know a P rated A/T tire can be aired down...just not sure how much..

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are not going to want to air them down, they are thin 4 ply tire, you’ll need the support of near max psi according to the sidewall.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are not going to want to air them down, they are thin 4 ply tire, you’ll need the support of near max psi according to the sidewall.
Nah, I'm sure I can air them down to like 25-26 psi without a problem. Just enough to get a little better traction on gravel/snow

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are your tires, do as you wish.I had the exact tires in question for a very short period and I would NOT air them down to 25-26 psi Offroad unless you want to lose a sidewall. The sidewallls are very thin! But good luck either way.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are your tires, do as you wish.I had the exact tires in question for a very short period and I would NOT air them down to 25-26 psi Offroad unless you want to lose a sidewall. The sidewallls are very thin! But good luck either way.
No matter what I totally agree that LT tires are best in that regard. I did just read an article on MotorAuthority stating that their tests show as long as you drive under 20mph (snow) and slower (gravel/off road) airing down between 20-25 psi is perfectly safe providing you don't scrape sharp rocks on the sidewall. Also...keep in mind that the Wildpeak A/T tires....each ply is thicker than your normal highway/all season tires. So yes it's only 4 ply...but theirs are the equivalent to a 6-8 ply all season tire. Oh...and I'll have insurance on the tires with a spare ...so who cares lol.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
I’m a LT tire guy the tires are less for giving mean when you turn, the truck turns there’s no squish no roll and the shoulder of the tires (the edges) don’t wear out prematurely. If you compare the two a P and a LT not mounted the P tire you can about collapse a LT isn’t budging. As For ride I can’t tell the difference going straight down the road and IF you decide to tow you have a tire capable with no problems. A LT tire on a 1500 which I have isn’t as stiff as ride as 2500 on LT’s. I guess it’s like gas some like 87 the cheapest and others like 93 the best and so on and so on. Like cheap beer or cheap steak it’s all a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a LT tire guy the tires are less for giving mean when you turn, the truck turns there’s no squish no roll and the shoulder of the tires (the edges) don’t wear out prematurely. If you compare the two a P and a LT not mounted the P tire you can about collapse a LT isn’t budging. As For ride I can’t tell the difference going straight down the road and IF you decide to tow you have a tire capable with no problems. A LT tire on a 1500 which I have isn’t as stiff as ride as 2500 on LT’s. I guess it’s like gas some like 87 the cheapest and others like 93 the best and so on and so on. Like cheap beer or cheap steak it’s all a choice.

It's weird you mention that because I was told by many that the ride is way stiffer with a 1500 on LTs because there's not as much weight pressing down on the tires and the Suspension is different. Maybe, in fact.. it's the opposite...? It's too bad I do so much highway driving...really wanted the LTs.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The biggest reason why people say and think that is because people put way too much air in them. I have owned a couple Ram 2500’s and if I aired up the tires to what the tires say and in some cases what Ram says on the door jam the ride would absolutely suck. But aired up to the proper pressure my 2500’s rode like a suv. The conflict comes with knowing to have enough pressure for the heaviest possible load it can carry or tow and knowing to have enough pressure day to day based on what the truck weighs empty. Same thing goes with 1500’s , LT tires with too much pressure makes the ride horrible.

Barqs

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I'm even looking at LT tires or just P-rated tires in both the A/T3W and A/T3WA variants. I know the A/T3WA is the OEM for the off-road group and it's a 113T rated tire in the 275/55R20 size. Pretty sure that's a "P" rated tire. The A/T3W I'm looking at as an alternate is a 117T rated tire but does not have "LT" in front of the size. Should I assume that's a "P" rated tire as well but just the slightly more aggressive tread pattern? Is it made of the same compound as the OEM tire that has the better wet weather traction? I'm so confused right now. I spoke with the guy at Discount Tire and he recommended the A/T3W as it carries a 55k mileage warranty whereas the WA does not have a mileage warranty claim. He said the WA is definitely softer to provide a more plush ride as the OEM tire. I'm looking for that ride quality, so I'm still leaning towards the WA for that reason. But if the W is a "P" rated tire with the softer sidewall than the LT (no high pressures) and has the same compound, perhaps it would be worth it to get the 55k mileage warranty? And in my case, the W is going to be about $15/tire cheaper than the WA. But will the taller lugs and more aggressive lug separation create more road noise? My guess is YES. So short story long, I think I'm confusing P and LT with just W and WA decisions.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it doesn’t have LT in front of it , it’s basically a P of some sort. It will have the shallower tread depth and less plys and weigh less. The AT3W is the version most stores sell, the AT3WA is what our rams with ORG come with. The ones our trucks come with are not as good as the AT3W you can buy most places.

Yogi217

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I'm even looking at LT tires or just P-rated tires in both the A/T3W and A/T3WA variants. I know the A/T3WA is the OEM for the off-road group and it's a 113T rated tire in the 275/55R20 size. Pretty sure that's a "P" rated tire. The A/T3W I'm looking at as an alternate is a 117T rated tire but does not have "LT" in front of the size. Should I assume that's a "P" rated tire as well but just the slightly more aggressive tread pattern? Is it made of the same compound as the OEM tire that has the better wet weather traction? I'm so confused right now. I spoke with the guy at Discount Tire and he recommended the A/T3W as it carries a 55k mileage warranty whereas the WA does not have a mileage warranty claim. He said the WA is definitely softer to provide a more plush ride as the OEM tire. I'm looking for that ride quality, so I'm still leaning towards the WA for that reason. But if the W is a "P" rated tire with the softer sidewall than the LT (no high pressures) and has the same compound, perhaps it would be worth it to get the 55k mileage warranty? And in my case, the W is going to be about $15/tire cheaper than the WA. But will the taller lugs and more aggressive lug separation create more road noise? My guess is YES. So short story long, I think I'm confusing P and LT with just W and WA decisions.

I'm doing the dame research now. Those are both P tires. The falkens get to LT rated at 265/60r20 (32.5") and 275/65r20 (34"). Anything SL or XL is P rated C and up (usual D and E I have found in this size) are LT tires.

The only LT i found in the 275/55r20 was the BFG KO2 AT, I think it weighs like 53 or 55lbs compared to the 44lbs (something like that) Wldpeaks P rated.

I'm not sure I need LT tires. I use to think I did.... but now so sure now. They also weigh a lot more, but whatever. I ran KOs 33x12.50 back in the day on a 4 cylinder wrangler, so i think this v8 should be fine.

I'm thinking if all of these OEM 1/2 truck manufacturers use P rated even for their off road models, then I should be good. But I'm still thinking and I'll be back with more Qs.....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Barqs

Reaction score
If it doesn’t have LT in front of it , it’s basically a P of some sort. It will have the shallower tread depth and less plys and weigh less. The AT3W is the version most stores sell, the AT3WA is what our rams with ORG come with. The ones our trucks come with are not as good as the AT3W you can buy most places.
When you say the OEM tire is "not as good", in what ways are you thinking? My line of thinking is more that the OEM tire is 3 lbs lighter (better MPGs), softer (more comfortable ride), and less aggressive tread pattern (quieter). Those were the attributes I was looking for in my next tires. I understand softer means it will wear out faster and not carry the 55k mileage warranty, but what else do you consider makes the AT3W better than the AT3WA? Just curious if I'm missing something or if we just have different criteria in selecting tires.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you say the OEM tire is "not as good", in what ways are you thinking? My line of thinking is more that the OEM tire is 3 lbs lighter (better MPGs), softer (more comfortable ride), and less aggressive tread pattern (quieter). Those were the attributes I was looking for in my next tires. I understand softer means it will wear out faster and not carry the 55k mileage warranty, but what else do you consider makes the AT3W better than the AT3WA? Just curious if I'm missing something or if we just have different criteria in selecting tires.
I think I can help you out ...based on my recent purchase and extensive exhausting research.
LT's : 10 ply high low bearing 60lbs each. (deeper tread @18/32)
WA's: (P rated) extra load (more than P but less than LT rated) I think it was like 53lbs each. I think they're either 4 or 6 ply.
P: 4 ply,116T load. 14/32 tread, softer ride.
All of these Wildpeaks have the same compound except that LTs are a little harder. (probably less effective in heavy snow)
I went with the P rated since I don't do much towing...and when I do it's not heavy weight (same with hauling) plus I only do mild off roading, sometimes with snow. I wouldn't bother with the OEM WA's personally...they usually cost more than P rated, aren't as tough as the LT's and are still heavier than the P rated ones.

Barqs

Reaction score
Went with a set of P275/55R20 Wildpeaks today. Picked them up for $167/tire with price matching from Discount Tire. Love the look, and hopefully I'll love the performance and ride quality as well. Road trips await to see how it goes!

Attachments

• IMG_4292.jpg
    IMG_4292.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 127

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
It's weird you mention that because I was told by many that the ride is way stiffer with a 1500 on LTs because there's not as much weight pressing down on the tires and the Suspension is different. Maybe, in fact.. it's the opposite...? It's too bad I do so much highway driving...really wanted the LTs.

My 2019 Rebel came factory with LT’s Goodyear Duratrac’s great riding tire just a little bit to much road noise but not over bearing. I run 57psi in the front 52 in the rear. I drove a F150 crew 4x4 for 10 years and when the OE tired wore out I put Michelin Ltx Ms2 on it which were LT’s nice riding road tire not so good off road. When pulling my ATV trailer it would most definitely spin the wheels off road but the flip of the switch and 4x4 is engaged.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you are talking ply I assume you are talking total ply and not just sidewall? I have the Wildpeak AT3W and mine show 7 total plys on the side of the tire.
tread - 2 plys polyester, 2 plys steel, 1 ply polyamde
sidewall - 2 plys polyester
I assume I will still be fine towing with these tires.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you are talking ply I assume you are talking total ply and not just sidewall? I have the Wildpeak AT3W and mine show 7 total plys on the side of the tire.

When tire plies are mentioned, most do not mention sidewall plies unless you start getting into the details. A 10 ply (E) tire has a strength rating of 10 tread plies, doesn't mean it actually has 10 plies. On my 275/65R20 LT tires on my 2014, I believe it had 6 actual tread plies, but some were thicker than others, making it a 10 ply rated tire.

Even though our Wildpeaks are 4-ply rated tires, they have 5 actual tread plies. I think this is one of the reasons why they are a little heavier than other tires in the same size, and I think their tread is a little tougher because of it. But that is just a guess.

The sidewall plies aren't counted when referencing a tire's load range (SL, XL, C, D, E, etc.), but guys who off road definitely pay attention to them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how much weight you're pulling. But there is no such thing as a 7 ply tire. It's either 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12. 4 is the lowest which is B rated load range (Standard Load) the numbers above don't actually represent the number of layers anymore though...it used to... like 15-20 years ago. They just kept with the lingo for tradition. (That's per Goodyear's website and Falkens).

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Wildpeak AT3W @ 275 55 20 have a max load of 2833. The rear axle has a max load of 4100. The Bridgestone that came with the truck are rated at 2400.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Wildpeak AT3W @ 275 55 20 have a max load of 2833. The rear axle has a max load of 4100. The Bridgestone that came with the truck are rated at 2400.
It seems like no matter what the brand...the A/T tires always seem to have a better load range rating...whether it P rated or LT.
In P275/65/18 the load rating is 2750

Users who are viewing this thread