5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P rated vs LT rated.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stronger sidewall
I'm not convinced that it's a stronger sidewall since Falkens website still says it's a 4 ply, I think it has more to do with the tread compound....don't get me wrong...I hope it is a stronger sidewall since I'll be taking my P rated Wildpeaks off road.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
P stands for passenger LT stands for light truck meaning load bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
P stands for passenger LT stands for light truck meaning load bearing.

Yes it does.
We're just comparing and contrasting the differences...like weight, load range differences, capabilities, that sort of thing.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that it's a stronger sidewall since Falkens website still says it's a 4 ply, I think it has more to do with the tread compound....don't get me wrong...I hope it is a stronger sidewall since I'll be taking my P rated Wildpeaks off road.

The Falkens do have that turned up design (or whatever they call it) for their sidewall plies, supposedly making them stronger than just a regular 2 ply sidewall. They also have those "guards" on the edge that seem to help protect the sidewalls a bit.

We shall see!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Falkens do have that turned up design (or whatever they call it) for their sidewall plies, supposedly making them stronger than just a regular 2 ply sidewall. They also have those "guards" on the edge that seem to help protect the sidewalls a bit.

We shall see!
Yea the sidewall tread is one of the reasons I went with the Wildpeaks. Too many A/T tires out there that look like highway tires lol. But I hope me going with the P rated isn't something I'll regret come gravel road time.

Barqs

Reaction score
Just wrapped up a 400 mile road trip to test out the Wildpeak P-rated AT3Ws. The drive was smooth with no appreciable wheel flutter at highway speeds. I did hear a bit more road drone over the Bridgestones, but that's expected with the larger voids between tread lugs on the A/T tires over the H/T tires. I only had to bump the radio up one or two levels to compensate and the noise was far from irritating. As far as mileage goes, I did suffer about about a 1.0 mpg hit over the Bridgestones, at least on this drive.

McRib

Reaction score
Loving the LT Falken Wildpeaks so far. Towed our trailer home last night for the first time with the new shoes. Night and Day difference in towing over the old stock tires. The ride was much smoother and sway was reduced. I really can't tell if they make any more noise on the road.

I can't wait for winter and see how they handle the snow.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loving the LT Falken Wildpeaks so far. Towed our trailer home last night for the first time with the new shoes. Night and Day difference in towing over the old stock tires. The ride was much smoother and sway was reduced. I really can't tell if they make any more noise on the road.

I can't wait for winter and see how they handle the snow.

Big difference between the squishy P rated tires and LT’s!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wrapped up a 400 mile road trip to test out the Wildpeak P-rated AT3Ws. The drive was smooth with no appreciable wheel flutter at highway speeds. I did hear a bit more road drone over the Bridgestones, but that's expected with the larger voids between tread lugs on the A/T tires over the H/T tires. I only had to bump the radio up one or two levels to compensate and the noise was far from irritating. As far as mileage goes, I did suffer about about a 1.0 mpg hit over the Bridgestones, at least on this drive.
About same with me...lost 1 mpg on average. But I didn't notice any increase in road noise over my Goodyear all seasons/street tires.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The LTs I'm sure are waaay more stable. But I keep my P rated Wildpeaks at 40psi and they definitely feel more firm over the Goodyear all seasons I had.

Its not something you’ll notice just driving around empty, but when towing a heavy trailer or carrying some weight in the bed its quite obvious. I carry a 700 lb 4wheeler in the bed and haul a travel trailer too, I’m not doing that regularly with P rated anything tires.

Polo08816

Reaction score
What about an intermediary load rating like the XL load rating versus going to an all out Load Range E tire?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the XL but haven’t towed a TT with them yet, but I plan on it. The load capacity rating for them is 2833. Max load my rear axle can handle is 4100. They should be more than adequate.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about an intermediary load rating like the XL load rating versus going to an all out Load Range E tire?

The answer to me is why? I know all of us have different uses of our trucks, some people never leave the paved road and tow nothing or haul nothing with their trucks and that’s why they designed the P rated tires for full size trucks. If you drive in multiseasonal weather, use 4wd regularly, tow heavy loads or haul heavy loads or spend substantial time off paved roads , I want a truck tire! I want it to not have paper thin sidewalls, I want it to have full tread depth not half tread depth and when I push on the side of my truck I don’t want to see the sidewalls roll sideways. You don’t lose any ride quality if you keep your air pressure appropriate and the handling is so much better even in moderate to high speed cornering. I have no use for P rated or XL rated tires In a full size 4wd truck. Your mileage may vary!

1Zach1

Reaction score
It seems sort of illogical but I’ve been tempted to ask my dealer if they could swap the stock tires that will come with my 2021 order for LT275/65R20 Toyo OC AT3s. I know that I should just roll with the stockers to start out with, especially since they are well liked, but man I wouldn’t mind starting off on 34 LTs.

highgear2005

Reaction score
It’s a truck! And trucks should have LT tires! When you need them, their there! Nobody buys a truck and worry’s about the poor gas mileage. Drive it hard and enjoy it, before some government asshat takes them away from us.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
...I want it to have full tread depth not half tread depth...

This I get, the tread depth is better with an LT.

...You don’t lose any ride quality if you keep your air pressure appropriate and the handling is so much better even in moderate to high speed cornering...

Strongly disagree with you here. I went from P rated tires to LT tires in my 2014 Ram, and I tried varying air pressures, including the "correct" ones.
Regardless of the pressure, it was always a stiffer ride than the P rated tires, and if I went down as low as some people recommend (30-ish), they started to wear weirdly.

It’s a truck! And trucks should have LT tires! When you need them, their there! Nobody buys a truck and worry’s about the poor gas mileage. Drive it hard and enjoy it, before some government asshat takes them away from us.

This is a hard point to argue against. I just like having retained the power and decent MPG if I can help it, since I do not tow or haul frequently. As I admitted in other threads, we'll see if I made the wrong choice with the P rated Wildpeaks after a winter or two. So far, other than a bit more noise (expected from any A/T tire vs highway tire), these are great. No problems balancing them, run smoothly on the highway and in town. 36 PSI cold, roughly 38-39 PSI once warmed up.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone uses their truck different as stated. I take mine off-road at times and pull things at time. I didn’t want an LT tire for their cost (complete waste) for my use And they are much harsher ride. But I also didn’t like the P rated tires that came on it. And I don’t care about mpg at all. To each their own. It’s your truck do what you want to with it (y)

Users who are viewing this thread