5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options feedback requested

23RAM

Reaction score
Use mine all the time. Is rather drive with windows down and sunroof open than closed up. As long as it's not above about 92-93, or higher than 50% humidity, the truck is opened up.
50% humidity?
WOW...that must be nice, I'm sitting in the driveway at 93% humidity and sweating doing nothing. No thanks, close the windows and doors please.
😁
My house is at 48% with the A/C running all day today.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
50% humidity?
WOW...that must be nice, I'm sitting in the driveway at 93% humidity and sweating doing nothing. No thanks, close the windows and doors please.
😁
It gets that bad here at times. I'm saying if it's above that and in the 90's the A/C is on.

23RAM

Reaction score
It gets that bad here at times. I'm saying if it's above that and in the 90's the A/C is on.
Ok so that's what it's like here from June to Sept every year. The rest of the year it's snowing or trying to snow, so too hot or too cold, so no need for a sunroof.
:D

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, we're the exact opposite - we hate sunroofs or convertibles. Had one of each years ago and hated them both. The last two vehicles (SUV and pickup) I specifically went without sunroofs.
Had the full panormaic sunroof and rarely used it...the Cherokee we bought has it...wasn't looking for it but was a loaded Limited trim and still rarely use it and that is up in NYS. They have a wow factor at first but now no way am I purposely looking for one.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50% humidity?
😁
Exactly this! I rarely drive with the windows open...humidity is awful and then we are into winter. Plus who wants all that road dust coming in. LOL!

ben b

Reaction score
Hey OP, I ordered my RAM configured very close to your desired order. I also opted for the Longhorn because of the interior. Zero regrets there.

One thing I would reconsider. I bought the air suspension because the ride is so nice. But it does add complexity. And I've heard that it can get confused and run down your battery by raising and lowering the truck multiple times overnight. I had my battery run down overnight when parked at a funny angle and that's the only cause I could think of.

Looking back, I wish I had given the standard suspension a more serious test ride. I've heard it's quite good as well, and zero chance of running down the battery.

23RAM

Reaction score
And I've heard that it can get confused and run down your battery by raising and lowering the truck multiple times overnight.
Ok this is totally new...your truck was doing "push-ups" in the driveway over night?

I'm getting a flashback to basic...

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Might hold off on ordering until these UAW talks get figured out. There may not be anyone to build trucks here soon.

As far as sunroof. You will like the panoramic sunroof. Even if you never actually open the glass itself the amount of light it let's in is awesome. I wouldn't have bought mine without it
This. Current orders, especially quick builds, may be prioritized once work resumes if a strike occurs. It may be worth a diligent search to find a truck matching your needs (or very close) already on a dealer's lot.

Also, I use my panoramic sunroof a lot, even if it just to open the huge shade. With the roof and back window open, side windows up, the airflow is great.

Rob_H

Reaction score
Off to try again later this AM, hoping the airbags are available now so I can get my new truck on the way.

If not then I may need to go direct to the dealer where I found one very close to what I would order; the only difference is that it has a 3.92 vs the 3.21 I want. The dealer I am working with does not want to deal with them for some reason (mostly $ I imagine). I do like the factory order idea mostly from a MY perspective as a '24 will be worth more down the road but not sure how long I will wait, I get there are supply chain issues still around somewhat but would be nice if they could at least project a timeline so customers could make better informed decisions - even it was an ETA within a month I would know which path to take etc.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Off to try again later this AM, hoping the airbags are available now so I can get my new truck on the way.

If not then I may need to go direct to the dealer where I found one very close to what I would order; the only difference is that it has a 3.92 vs the 3.21 I want. The dealer I am working with does not want to deal with them for some reason (mostly $ I imagine). I do like the factory order idea mostly from a MY perspective as a '24 will be worth more down the road but not sure how long I will wait, I get there are supply chain issues still around somewhat but would be nice if they could at least project a timeline so customers could make better informed decisions - even it was an ETA within a month I would know which path to take etc.
With the looming UAW strike, new ordered may be significantly delayed

23RAM

Reaction score
If not then I may need to go direct to the dealer where I found one very close to what I would order; t
With the possibility of a union strike, I agree, I wouldn't order today. Either wait for the union to ratify a settlement, or buy off the lot if you need it now.
he only difference is that it has a 3.92 vs the 3.21 I want.
If strong towing is not a concern, mileage is a priority and you regularly drive on highways over 68 mph, then the 3.21 is a good choice as it'll rev under 2k cruising up to about 78 mph. If you don't live in an area with higher speed highways, then the 3.92 won't make much difference with mileage. Here in Ontario Canada, we have max speed limits of 100km/h or 62 mph so I don't hit 2k cruising on the highway at 68 mph and my mileage is as expected (EPA rating at 21). I also needed 3.92 for max towing capability (11,600 vs 8,200 on my spec'd truck) as I tow 8.5k from time to time.

Last edited:

Av1

Reaction score
Had the full panormaic sunroof and rarely used it...the Cherokee we bought has it...wasn't looking for it but was a loaded Limited trim and still rarely use it and that is up in NYS. They have a wow factor at first but now no way am I purposely looking for one.

We have two vehicles with panoramic sunroofs and like you, we rarely use it.

We have to the a/c going much of the year in the desert southwest.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have or have had:

'09 RAM 1500 with Hemi/3.92 and moonroof, regular tailgate, no RamBoxes - 193K miles
'19 RAM 1500 with Hemi/eTorque/3.92, no sunroof, regular tailgate, RamBoxes - 72K miles
'21 RAM 1500 with EcoDiesel/3.21, Pano sunroof, MFT, RamBoxes - 30K miles, so far

I would not get a sunroof. I only have one now because I found this truck used and it had it. I don't use it and it's just something to break and/or leak, and to let the truck get hotter inside. I never used the one in my '09, either, and I didn't miss it when I didn't have one in my '19 for the 3 years that I had that truck.

I LOVE the Multi-Function Tailgate. That, the diesel, and the 3.21 diff were the main reasons I traded my '19 for this '21.

I very rarely carry anything in my truck that requires the tailgate to stay down while driving. Which means I very rarely have any need for the tailgate to open in the "classic" way. All the rest of the time - i.e. 99% - having it open barn door style just makes it so much easier to take stuff out and put stuff in.

My only gripe with the MFT is that the truck has a drop-down step at the back for getting in/out with the gate open barn door style. But, it does not have a drop-down step (like my '19 did) for climbing in/out with the tailgate dropped down "classic" style. And, apparently, I cannot just bolt on the Mopar one that they have for trucks with classic tailgates. When I DO have the tailgate open classic-style, it is really annoying to not have a step to help my old azz get up in there.

If you get the MFT and you do NOT get RamBoxes, then your bed will have braces in the front corners that interfere with installing some tonneau covers. If you DO get RamBoxes, then the rest of the bed is the same whether you have a MFT or not. Meaning, any cover that fits with RamBoxes will fit whether you have the MFT or not. Side note: The Mopar trifold soft cover sucks BIG time. The Bak Revolver X4s has a fitment for RamBoxes (with or without MFT) and it is an awesome cover.

I love my RamBoxes. I'm pretty OCD, but I'm not as OCD as some people on here. The "not-perfect-ness" of my RamBoxes on my '19 and on my '21 doesn't bother me. They are way too useful to not get them because of a little bit of warping that MAY occur.

I also really like the air suspension and the power running boards. Lowering the truck to Entry/Exit height and having those big boards swing out is what makes it feasible for my 78 year old, 280# father to comfortably get in and out of my truck. Lowering it to Entry/Exit height also makes it noticeably easier and more comfortable for me to load heavy stuff (like scuba tanks, including twinsets) in and out of the bed.

The air suspension has also been helpful a couple of times when trying to hook up to trailers. Mainly when the trailer tongue is too low because its jack has sunk into wet ground. I lower the whole truck to get under it, then lift it back up.

With a 3.92 rear end, the truck turns 2200 RPMs at 80 MPH. With a 3.21, it turns 1800 RPMs. I do a lot of highway driving, running at 10 MPH over the limit. I.e. a lot of miles at 80 MPH.

I do not miss anything about having a 3.92 rear end. I am very glad to have the 3.21. With an 8-speed tranny, even with a 3.21 diff, 1st gear is still plenty low enough to get any trailer moving that is within the truck's weight specs. If were towing heavy enough and often enough to think I actually needed 3.92 gears, I would get a 2500 with a Cummins.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ps. I never had any issues with my eTorque. I also couldn't really tell any difference between it and the previous (4th gen) Hemi that didn't have it.

I do hate the Start/Stop on some vehicles (like my ex's Jeep Cherokee). But, the Start/Stop with eTorque works differently and I didn't mind it at all.

23RAM

Reaction score
With a 3.92 rear end, the truck turns 2200 RPMs at 80 MPH. With a 3.21, it turns 1800 RPMs. I do a lot of highway driving, running at 10 MPH over the limit. I.e. a lot of miles at 80 MPH.
With that in mind, yes, 3.21 gearing is the smart choice, especially on high speed freeways. Here in Ontario, there are no "high speed freeways" equal to 70+ mph so it's a non-issue. Towing capacity is more relevant here which is partly why I chose 3.92 gearing. The other major part being that I knew I would need over 8k towing, which 3.21 gearing is not rated to do.
I do not miss anything about having a 3.92 rear end. I am very glad to have the 3.21. With an 8-speed tranny, even with a 3.21 diff, 1st gear is still plenty low enough to get any trailer moving that is within the truck's weight specs.
Any truck or car has a 1st gear that is plenty strong to pull. A friend's Prius can probably pull 10k on a flat grade. And a Ranger can probably pull 20k out of the water. But I wouldn't tow 100+ miles with those vehicles in either scenario.
If were towing heavy enough and often enough to think I actually needed 3.92 gears, I would get a 2500 with a Cummins.
This part is debatable. I ordered 3.92 gearing for the max towing capacity because I knew I would tow 8.5k from time to time. I don't see any reason to upgrade to a 2500 for the occasional tow of a trailer that is within 74% of the max rating. In fact, towing 8.5k is a non-issue for me...been towing for years and find the the RAM very capable of 8.5k and more without issue. But that's just me...been there, done that.

Diesel prices is another thread...

23RAM

Reaction score
part of the looming strike is a 46% increase in wages...so guessing the truck is going to cost more post strike/negotiations.
WHAT?? No, there's no way a USA company would increase prices like that. Democrats are in charge.
🤪

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

part of the looming strike is a 46% increase in wages...so guessing the truck is going to cost more post strike/negotiations.
The 46% is over 4 years. 10% per year. The media doesn't tell the whole story, just enough to sensationalize. Inflation since their last contract is close to 30%. 25 since Lieden took office.

Users who are viewing this thread