5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options feedback requested

Rob_H

Reaction score
If you get the MFT and you do NOT get RamBoxes, then your bed will have braces in the front corners that interfere with installing some tonneau covers. If you DO get RamBoxes, then the rest of the bed is the same whether you have a MFT or not. Meaning, any cover that fits with RamBoxes will fit whether you have the MFT or not. Side note: The Mopar trifold soft cover sucks BIG time. The Bak Revolver X4s has a fitment for RamBoxes (with or without MFT) and it is an awesome cover.
Thanks for the detailed input! Really appreciate the tonneau cover input as I was going to go with the Mopar tri-fold but will look for other options like the one you suggested.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Due to inflation, you should. Even my social security went up over 5% this last year due to inflation. And they never keep up.
That's not how jobs work... Inflation does not increase your pay unless you are at minimum wage and some idiot increases the law to raise the lower bar.

People making what was considered normal wages continue to make those same wages and get their normal raises, or sometimes not get them and the company blames inflation on why they cant give you a raise.
I am getting 1.5% and 2% yearly raises.

Its so bad right now that it seems like you are better off quitting your job to get the same position elsewhere at a higher wage. My company is hiring people to work under me with starting salary just under mine (within 5%) except I've been here for 5 years.

Inflation is not good for anyone except companies. Not the consumer or the employee.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not how jobs work... Inflation does not increase your pay unless you are at minimum wage and some idiot increases the law to raise the lower bar.

People making what was considered normal wages continue to make those same wages and get their normal raises, or sometimes not get them and the company blames inflation on why they cant give you a raise.
I am getting 1.5% and 2% yearly raises.

Its so bad right now that it seems like you are better off quitting your job to get the same position elsewhere at a higher wage. My company is hiring people to work under me with starting salary just under mine (within 5%) except I've been here for 5 years.

Inflation is not good for anyone except companies. Not the consumer or the employee.
I did some work at a company where the new hires were making more than some employees that had been at the company over five years. They almost had a strike over it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did some work at a company where the new hires were making more than some employees that had been at the company over five years. They almost had a strike over it.
Yep. It's pretty wacky.
Lots of companies are too stupid to realize it's wrong and mine in particular will let employees leave who hold critical positions that can't be replaced by a single person and the company suffers, but as long as the ceo gets a big pay check no one in management cares.

They just did a restrucue of my pay last year and removed bonuses for increase base pay, but it was a gross loss of around $9k a year for me so this yearly raise in a month will be interesting as the job field is great, at least for people in IT currently.

Maybe switch jobs and trade in my decked out limited for the last run TRX? I can dream right.
Maybe if I could get that 46% pay raise those union guys want LOL

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, we're the exact opposite - we hate sunroofs or convertibles. Had one of each years ago and hated them both. The last two vehicles (SUV and pickup) I specifically went without sunroofs.
Same here, even though, I have a panoramic roof on another vehicle.
They are a vehicle-purchase deterrent for me. I don't like them and it's always to bright or hot or humid to even appreciate them.
And they will always leak at some point. They're just another liability to me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are a vehicle-purchase deterrent for me. I don't like them and it's always to bright or hot or humid to even appreciate them.
Door seals will eventually leak at some point. Window seals will eventually leak at some point. I've had several older cars with factory sunroofs that didn't leak. Had a 92 Dodge Daytona 10 years ago with factory sunroof. The seal on the sunroof glass was dry and cracking, but no leaks inside the car because of the roof drains. My 2002 Volvo S60 has a factory sunroof. No leaks with that either.

I can understand why some people don't like them, but no need to make up excuses that aren't the real reason you don't like them.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Door seals will eventually leak at some point. Window seals will eventually leak at some point. I've had several older cars with factory sunroofs that didn't leak. Had a 92 Dodge Daytona 10 years ago with factory sunroof. The seal on the sunroof glass was dry and cracking, but no leaks inside the car because of the roof drains. My 2002 Volvo S60 has a factory sunroof. No leaks with that either.

I can understand why some people don't like them, but no need to make up excuses that aren't the real reason you don't like them.
It's an avoidable risk.
Your argument isn't practical.
It's not reasonable to avoid doors because they may leak too.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. It's pretty wacky.
Lots of companies are too stupid to realize it's wrong and mine in particular will let employees leave who hold critical positions that can't be replaced by a single person and the company suffers, but as long as the ceo gets a big pay check no one in management cares.

They just did a restrucue of my pay last year and removed bonuses for increase base pay, but it was a gross loss of around $9k a year for me so this yearly raise in a month will be interesting as the job field is great, at least for people in IT currently.

Maybe switch jobs and trade in my decked out limited for the last run TRX? I can dream right.
Maybe if I could get that 46% pay raise those union guys want LOL
It's 10% a year. It sort of works like compound interest, after 4 years, it is 46% more. Inflation is 25% since the idiot in chief took over, and destroyed the economy. If you don't get raises to keep up with inflation, get a new job. Your employer is screwing you.

6of36

Reaction score
It's an avoidable risk.
Your argument isn't practical.
It's not reasonable to avoid doors because they may leak too.
His argument is perfectly rational. If you don't get a sunroof because it may leak, only get two doors, to avoid the leaks on the extra doors.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
His argument is perfectly rational. If you don't get a sunroof because it may leak, only get two doors, to avoid the leaks on the extra doors.
It may be rational, it's not realistic. That was only one reason. I didn't rank them in any order.
You guys get carried away in semantics and rhetoric.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dad always used to say he would never own a vehicle with power windows because it was just one more thing to break. Now he doesn't own a vehicle without them. but he won't let you roll the back windows down on his cars because he doesn't want them to break. Problem is, if you never use them, they stand a better chance of breaking when they do get opened, than if you use them regularly.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, you can get a motorcycle. No doors. :p

I mean, you can get a motorcycle. No doors. :p
I had many motorcycles. I used to ride in all seasons rain/shine with all the necessary gear (ATGATT), just not if there was ice/snow in the forecast. When I lived in Omaha, I used to commute to Red Oak by motorcycle (by choice) everyday for a few years.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had many motorcycles. I used to ride in all seasons rain/shine with all the necessary gear (ATGATT), just not if there was ice/snow in the forecast. When I lived in Omaha, I used to commute to Red Oak by motorcycle (by choice) everyday for a few years.
I'm sorry you had to go to Red Oak. That must have been horrible knowing that was your destination every day

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had to go to Red Oak. That must have been horrible knowing that was your destination every day
Ha! It was a real eye-opener relocating to the mid-west from eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) in 2000.
I've learned to appreciate it though. I did live in Omaha for 10 years, before moving to SWIA.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! It was a real eye-opener relocating to the mid-west from eastern PA (Lehigh Valley) in 2000.
I've learned to appreciate it though. I did live in Omaha for 10 years, before moving to SWIA.
SWIA is definitely its own special place. That was my "territory" when I was playing hometown recruiter in the Navy for three years.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I don't feel like "always leak at some point" is an accurate statement. Between my wife and I we have had at least 10 vehicles with sunroofs, over half have been panoramic. One roof one time "leaked", due to my wife taking it through a carwash when the temps were staying well below freezing, and one of the drains froze. I'm sure some people have had bad luck with sunroofs, but not all of them.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

Great site, tons of knowledge here that I have found helpful as a lurker...first post.

I am going to be factory ordering a '23 Longhorn Limited on Monday and would like some feedback from users on a couple of options I am considering. Will be my first Pentastar since picking up a '99 Dakota Sport 4x4 many moons ago, coming out of a 2015 F350 Platinum.

eTorque - I have read a lot about this but have not been able to find any longer term reports - things like battery life expectancy and replacement cost, overall reliability, belt life and replacement cost etc.; maybe I just couldn't find the right thread if it is here somewhere. Also, any input on resale value differences between standard 5.7 and eT version would be appreciated as well.

Multifunction tailgate - similar to above, just looking for any feedback from longer term use and if there are any issues over time to be aware of.

Rambox - also similar to above, just curious how they hold up under average use, this isn't going to be a work truck by any means, more like a sedan with a box.

Here is the list that I already decided on:

Longhorn Level 1 package
5'7" box
Sunroof
Bed Utility Group
Hitch & brake control
Anti-spin with 3.21
Air suspension
Larger tank
Tri-fold tonneau cover

On the fence about the body coloured bumper group
On the fence between Billet Silver and Ruby Red

I am in Western Canada in case climate has any impact on any of the above.

Thanks in advance for any input, really looking forward to my first factory order and will be a tough 4 weeks or so waiting for it to arrive :)

Rob
Etrq - adds basically nothing, but I haven't had any issues, other than the odd noise every now and then. (57k miles so far) It's covered for something like 8yrs 80k miles since it's considered an emissions part.

Multi-Function Tailgate - adds alot of weight and the bed has to be braced at the front, by the cab, to support it. These brackets limit your choice of bedcovers, if that's something you want to add later on.

The RAM boxes are something I wanted, but were not available with the long bed I had to have. I've read some people complaining about door panel fitment with them, but never looked into it, since it doesn't apply to my truck.

I have a Longhorn as well, and if you plan on using it for towing be very conscience of your very limited payload rating. This, by far, will be the deciding factor in how much you can 'legally' tow with your truck. I've seen some low enough, that you couldn't put 5 large adults in the cab without 'overloading' the truck.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any truck or car has a 1st gear that is plenty strong to pull. A friend's Prius can probably pull 10k on a flat grade. And a Ranger can probably pull 20k out of the water. But I wouldn't tow 100+ miles with those vehicles in either scenario.

I specifically said "... within the truck's weight specs". I would tow any distance with a trailer that is within my trucks weight specs. If the OP needs to tow heavier than a 3.21 is rated for, then he should not buy a 3.21.

This part is debatable. I ordered 3.92 gearing for the max towing capacity because I knew I would tow 8.5k from time to time. I don't see any reason to upgrade to a 2500 for the occasional tow of a trailer that is within 74% of the max rating. In fact, towing 8.5k is a non-issue for me...been towing for years and find the the RAM very capable of 8.5k and more without issue. But that's just me...been there, done that.

Actually, that is false. It is not debatable at all. I said what I would do. How can you debate what I would do?

I have had gas and diesel pickup trucks in half ton and 3/4 ton configs, and diesel in 1 ton config.

I learned enough about towing in all those different types of trucks to know that if *I* were towing heavy enough and often enough to think I actually needed 3.92 gears (in a half ton, gas engine truck), then *I* would get a 2500 with a Cummins.

That is a fact. There is no debate to be had.

A 5th Gen Hemi with 3.21 gearing has an 8-speed tranny and is a very capable truck, including for towing. If it won't tow something because it's too heavy (for that truck and config) and I intend to tow that thing often (all, as I said in my previous post), then *I* would buy a 2500 with a Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread