5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options feedback requested

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically said "... within the truck's weight specs". I would tow any distance with a trailer that is within my trucks weight specs. If the OP needs to tow heavier than a 3.21 is rated for, then he should not buy a 3.21.

Actually, that is false. It is not debatable at all. I said what I would do. How can you debate what I would do?

I have had gas and diesel pickup trucks in half ton and 3/4 ton configs, and diesel in 1 ton config.

I learned enough about towing in all those different types of trucks to know that if *I* were towing heavy enough and often enough to think I actually needed 3.92 gears (in a half ton, gas engine truck), then *I* would get a 2500 with a Cummins.

That is a fact. There is no debate to be had.

A 5th Gen Hemi with 3.21 gearing has an 8-speed tranny and is a very capable truck, including for towing. If it won't tow something because it's too heavy (for that truck and config) and I intend to tow that thing often (all, as I said in my previous post), then *I* would buy a 2500 with a Cummins.

Towing specs are irrelevant for most of our optioned trucks. Sure is for mine.

Some need to look beyond towing numbers and look at payload / GVWR and do some reasoning on what their truck is really capable of.

And.
Pay for a hole in the roof. Oh hell no.

23RAM

Reaction score
Towing specs are irrelevant for most of our optioned trucks. Sure is for mine.
Some need to look beyond towing numbers and look at payload / GVWR and do some reasoning on what their truck is really capable of.
The specs aren't irrelevant, they're based on known facts with a "ready to drive" truck. Manufacturers are pretty accurate about this or they risk law suits. RAM knows my truck weighs 5399 when it is prepped at the dealer with a full tank of gas with a GCWR of 17,000 lbs.

But ratings do need to be qualified with GCWR which is the combined weight of the truck, any cargo, driver and passengers, and trailer weight. While my truck is spec'd at 11,600 lbs towing with 3.92 gears, the GCWR says it's actually 9900 lbs with a full payload ((17,000 - 5399) - 1701 payload = 9900). I never max out my payload, so on long trips it's over 10k. Towing the boat for a light day run it's about 11k. Good thing I didn't opt for 3.21 gears or I'd be down to about 6800 lbs towing.

If you're unsure of your truck's weight, just look at the door jamb sticker for the payload/cargo rating and subtract it from the GCWR - that equals your truck weight before you or the dealer do anything to it. With my side-steps and some light gear in the truck, my payload is down to about 1600 lbs, which is still well over my needs.
And.
Pay for a hole in the roof. Oh hell no.
Yeah, can't stand runroofs.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The specs aren't irrelevant, they're based on known facts with a "ready to drive" truck. Manufacturers are pretty accurate about this or they risk law suits. RAM knows my truck weighs 5399 when it is prepped at the dealer with a full tank of gas with a GCWR of 17,000 lbs.

But ratings do need to be qualified with GCWR which is the combined weight of the truck, any cargo, driver and passengers, and trailer weight. While my truck is spec'd at 11,600 lbs towing with 3.92 gears, the GCWR says it's actually 9900 lbs with a full payload ((17,000 - 5399) - 1701 payload = 9900). I never max out my payload, so on long trips it's over 10k. Towing the boat for a light day run it's about 11k. Good thing I didn't opt for 3.21 gears or I'd be down to about 6800 lbs towing.

If you're unsure of your truck's weight, just look at the door jamb sticker for the payload/cargo rating and subtract it from the GCWR - that equals your truck weight before you or the dealer do anything to it. With my side-steps and some light gear in the truck, my payload is down to about 1600 lbs, which is still well over my needs.

Yeah, can't stand runroofs.
You aren't supposed to stand on them. :p

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My GVWR is 7100 lbs. Payload 1170 lbs.
I have a topper, tools, other crap, passengers maybe.

Payload limits me for my truck. These trucks ( at least my 2 ) are comfortable and maneuverable, but not really designed to haul much. They can certainly pull it.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Etorque - Nope. Wish I never got it. It was a truck off the lot so I had no choice. Had the etorque motor replaced already. I plan on keeping the truck so now it could be "my problem" when the extended warranty runs out. Hopefully by then they aren't $1300. Battery also went as a result.

Rambox - Nope. I need the bed width. But, they are nice if you find yourself storing tools, etc. If you're just looking for ratchet strap and bungee cord storage? No thanks. I'd rather have the bed space. Put them under the rear seat.

Multitailgate - Yes, now that you can get without the Rambox.

33 gallon or large tank - Resounding, yes.

Body colored bumpers - Prone to chipping from rocks, etc. Nope

Air Suspension - I'd prefer to not have but it seems part of the package.

BUG - 100%

23RAM

Reaction score
My GVWR is 7100 lbs. Payload 1170 lbs.
I have a topper, tools, other crap, passengers maybe.
Payload limits me for my truck. These trucks ( at least my 2 ) are comfortable and maneuverable, but not really designed to haul much. They can certainly pull it.
Unfortunately that's the price you pay for comfort with coil springs. Dodge's market research said a switch to coil springs for ride comfort was more important to many buyers than max payload capacity. If you need to fill your bed with heavy cargo, don't buy a RAM 1500. RAM's are too nice to use for work anyway...that's why ugly Ford and Chevy trucks exist.
😁
I don't use my truck for work, nor do I need to haul much weight. Coming from comfortable SUV's, comfort and style was a major factor for us so I went with the RAM.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's the price you pay for comfort with coil springs. Dodge's market research said a switch to coil springs for ride comfort was more important to many buyers than max payload capacity. If you need to fill your bed with heavy cargo, don't buy a RAM 1500. RAM's are too nice to use for work anyway...that's why ugly Ford and Chevy trucks exist.
😁
I don't use my truck for work, nor do I need to haul much weight. Coming from comfortable SUV's, comfort and style was a major factor for us so I went with the RAM.

Yea I use mine for a daily driver, but I do use it for some farm hauling and towing.

Been a while since I’ve owned a 1/2 ton and was pleasantly surprised how nice they are now for
driving.

Glad yours is working for your heavy towing. I’m not sure how you manage your heavy tongue weights which is payload.

I guess my point was that payload is what I have found to be the limiting factor on the trucks I have owned, and that is not 3.21 or 3.92 correlated. Limited payload equals limited towing.

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
Glad yours is working for your heavy towing. I’m not sure how you manage your heavy tongue weights that eat into your payload.
I don't have heavy tongue weights. I adjust the trailers or load to attain a proper tongue weight with even weight distribution. For instance, my 5k boat trailer has a 5% 250 lbs tongue as recommended by the manufacturer. They shipped it with a 15% tongue which was ridiculous - so I slid the axles and winch tower to even out the load. It rides smooth and level as it should.

I've seen far too many drivers on the road with too heavy or too light tongues with improper loads, and they're usually driving like maniacs weaving through traffic well above the speed limit.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have heavy tongue weights. I adjust the trailers or load to attain a proper tongue weight with even weight distribution. For instance, my 5k boat trailer has a 5% 250 lbs tongue as recommended by the manufacturer. They shipped it with a 15% tongue which was ridiculous - so I slid the axles and winch tower to even out the load. It rides smooth and level as it should.

I've seen far too many drivers on the road with too heavy or too light tongues with improper loads, and they're usually driving like maniacs weaving through traffic well above the speed limit.
I’ve seen it all also. Usually lifted / leveled and towing without bags sagging severely, or 1/2 and 3/4 tons towing too much. It is obvious when trailer is loaded too far aft 😮.

I had to shift a winch tower on a large boat I bought used. When I picked it up it was wagging bad. Some people….

So your payload is 1701 lbs. Really good for these trucks from my experience.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So your payload is 1701 lbs. Really good for these trucks from my experience.
My payload is 960 (with nothing and no one inside my truck).
Once me and the family along with 50lbs of gear goes in my payload drops to a whopping 440.

Lower level trims without any items\packages have higher payload. Tradesman with nothing added gives the best. Laramie are around 1400-1600 payload from the factory depending on options, then up to a Limited you can get under 1100 payload from the factory.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My payload is 960 (with nothing and no one inside my truck).
Once me and the family along with 50lbs of gear goes in my payload drops to a whopping 440.

Lower level trims without any items\packages have higher payload. Tradesman with nothing added gives the best. Laramie are around 1400-1600 payload from the factory depending on options, then up to a Limited you can get under 1100 payload from the factory.

Agreed. Adds up fast.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Remember when trucks were called half ton, or one ton? Half ton trucks, like 1500s had a half ton payload. 1,000 lbs. Anything over is a bonus.

Rob_H

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input everyone,

I finally found one that ticked most boxes, factory order was out as I couldn't order air ride and no one could give me any timeline on when I could (even all Limiteds coming to Canada are air ride deleted by the factory now with an invoice credit) and the strike situation wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. I only found 3 air ride Lonhorns that didn't have the 22" wheels in all of Western Canada and the silver one I wanted was sold when my dealer reached out. Blue was on my original list and it had most of what I was after so I finalized everything yesterday and should have it by Wednesday/Thursday.

23 Limited Longhorn
Level 1 equipment group
Air Ride
BUG
Sunroof
eTorque
Painted bumpers
Big fuel tank
Hitch & trailer brake controller
Anti spin 3.21
Patriot Blue

Thanks,

Rob

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input everyone,

I finally found one that ticked most boxes, factory order was out as I couldn't order air ride and no one could give me any timeline on when I could (even all Limiteds coming to Canada are air ride deleted by the factory now with an invoice credit) and the strike situation wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. I only found 3 air ride Lonhorns that didn't have the 22" wheels in all of Western Canada and the silver one I wanted was sold when my dealer reached out. Blue was on my original list and it had most of what I was after so I finalized everything yesterday and should have it by Wednesday/Thursday.

23 Limited Longhorn
Level 1 equipment group
Air Ride
BUG
Sunroof
eTorque
Painted bumpers
Big fuel tank
Hitch & trailer brake controller
Anti spin 3.21
Patriot Blue

Thanks,

Rob
They are probably factory deleting the air ride, do to all the problems with it in cold climates. I was told by my service write up, you will have problems here in Michigan. She also said when it does break, the air bags are $2,500 each. I figure I will be good until warranty runs out, then I will get rid of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread