5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on New vs Used pricing or deals

Chuck19

Reaction score
So after a family trip that required us to take my 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab (needed to tow a trailer) instead of my wife’s 2020 Odyssey i was extremely disappointed with the room in the back seats when used with a car seat. Let’s just say there is no room at all if they car seat is in the back the front seat is not useable. So my wife had to sit in the back with my 2.5 year old and 3 month year old on a 5 hour trip one way and let sJust say it was less than enjoyable. I am so disappointed that they put car seat hookups in the back seats but are not useable if someone needs to sit in any of the front seats.

So I have decided to upgrade to a crew cab. Now my main question is are the deals people are getting on new cars outweighs the savings on a used vehicle? Used prices in my area (SW Florida) seem fairly high . The new truck prices seem pretty high to me as well but that’s just what is posted on autotrader or dealer websites. I haven’t dealt with any dealers yet. Just wanted to get some opinions there first.

I prefer to buy used because i hate taking the immediate depreciation hit when you drive of the lot. But with the market the way it is today maybe that’s not the case anymore? Maybe someone here can shine some light on this for me or maybe someone here was in my shoes about whether to buy new or used that can let me know how they made their decision.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after a family trip that required us to take my 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab (needed to tow a trailer) instead of my wife’s 2020 Odyssey i was extremely disappointed with the room in the back seats when used with a car seat. Let’s just say there is no room at all if they car seat is in the back the front seat is not useable. So my wife had to sit in the back with my 2.5 year old and 3 month year old on a 5 hour trip one way and let sJust say it was less than enjoyable. I am so disappointed that they put car seat hookups in the back seats but are not useable if someone needs to sit in any of the front seats.

So I have decided to upgrade to a crew cab. Now my main question is are the deals people are getting on new cars outweighs the savings on a used vehicle? Used prices in my area (SW Florida) seem fairly high . The new truck prices seem pretty high to me as well but that’s just what is posted on autotrader or dealer websites. I haven’t dealt with any dealers yet. Just wanted to get some opinions there first.

I prefer to buy used because i hate taking the immediate depreciation hit when you drive of the lot. But with the market the way it is today maybe that’s not the case anymore? Maybe someone here can shine some light on this for me or maybe someone here was in my shoes about whether to buy new or used that can let me know how they made their decision.
For me I would buy new! I live in Iowa and yes, used trucks are selling high here right now too! I would buy new because you have that piece of mine if a full 3/36000 warranty. Most used vehicles do not come with lemon law coverage either. I thought I’d never have to lemon law a vehicle as I’ve owned several with no issues, but I did lemon law my truck a few months ago! Also I always wonder why someone traded in a 2 year old truck. Could just be they trade every few years or it could be they had issues like I did on my 19 Ram. I know all vehicles have issues, however these 5th gen rams seem to have a lot. What really worries me is that these have been built since 18 and the same issues are still around in 2021😩 I had a major vibration, issue, the truck never went down the road straight and would not hold balance over 200 miles😩! After 7 visits to 3 different dealers in 8 months with a lot of guessing and many new parts with no fix, I finally pushed ram to buy it back. They bought it back and I had a 2021 built, too early to tell on the 21 as it only has 200 miles on it now. I was told that truck will go to auction with a lemon law title, but who knows? However what I’m getting at is many people would have just put up with this issue or as I’ve seen several stories on here and myself when the dealers just want you to trade your problem in on a new truck! Just a thought, I would make sure I knew all the history on a used truck and not just a car fax! I love these new rams, my 19 was a good truck except for the vibrations and I love the 2021 so far, time will tell. Maybe you can find a great deal on a used one. Also I’ve had good luck buying new in other states. I drove 1004 miles each way for my 19 saved me over $5000! Good luck in whatever you decide.

KCViper

Reaction score
Used prices are high and new trucks have some good discounts. I started off thinking I would by used as i don't want or need a new truck. Prices were just too close to buy used IMO. Go to your dealer or look online for pricing and that should help with your decision. GL!

Swag1981

Reaction score
I am so disappointed that they put car seat hookups in the back seats but are not useable if someone needs to sit in any of the front seats.

I know this is off topic but please don’t be disappointed, as this is not Ram’s fault. LATCH has been a requirement in all passenger vehicles less than 8500 lbs since 2001. They put them in there because they had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck19

Reaction score
For me I would buy new! I live in Iowa and yes, used trucks are selling high here right now too! I would buy new because you have that piece of mine if a full 3/36000 warranty. Most used vehicles do not come with lemon law coverage either. I thought I’d never have to lemon law a vehicle as I’ve owned several with no issues, but I did lemon law my truck a few months ago! Also I always wonder why someone traded in a 2 year old truck. Could just be they trade every few years or it could be they had issues like I did on my 19 Ram. I know all vehicles have issues, however these 5th gen rams seem to have a lot. What really worries me is that these have been built since 18 and the same issues are still around in 2021😩 I had a major vibration, issue, the truck never went down the road straight and would not hold balance over 200 miles😩! After 7 visits to 3 different dealers in 8 months with a lot of guessing and many new parts with no fix, I finally pushed ram to buy it back. They bought it back and I had a 2021 built, too early to tell on the 21 as it only has 200 miles on it now. I was told that truck will go to auction with a lemon law title, but who knows? However what I’m getting at is many people would have just put up with this issue or as I’ve seen several stories on here and myself when the dealers just want you to trade your problem in on a new truck! Just a thought, I would make sure I knew all the history on a used truck and not just a car fax! I love these new rams, my 19 was a good truck except for the vibrations and I love the 2021 so far, time will tell. Maybe you can find a great deal on a used one. Also I’ve had good luck buying new in other states. I drove 1004 miles each way for my 19 saved me over $5000! Good luck in whatever you decide.
Thanks for your thoughts. I will be reaching out to a few dealers with a build sheet to see what they can do. I am still just a little hesitant on taking that new car depreciation value hit. I have only done it twice in my life. Once one a 2014 Wrangler because there really wasn’t much difference in new and used price and then last year on my wife’s odyssey pretty much same deal there. No major difference in price whether new or used

Chuck19

Reaction score
Used prices are high and new trucks have some good discounts. I started off thinking I would by used as i don't want or need a new truck. Prices were just too close to buy used IMO. Go to your dealer or look online for pricing and that should help with your decision. GL!
Yeah if I find in my area prices aren’t much different between new and used I will most likely go new unless I find that used unicorn 😂

U

User_3336

What was your justification for purchasing a QUAD cab in the first place over a CREW?

Chuck19

Reaction score
I know this is off topic but please don’t be disappointed, as this is not Ram’s fault. LATCH has been a requirement in all passenger vehicles less than 8500 lbs since 2001. They put them in there because they had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand it’s a DOT requirement but if it can’t be used it’s just seriously frustrating. Never would have gotten a quad cab if I knew that and honestly never thought they wouldn’t fit. Oh well lesson learned

Chuck19

Reaction score
What was your justification for purchasing a QUAD cab in the first place over a CREW?
A couple of reasons. I wanted the larger 6’4” bed and couldn’t find a crew cab in my area with that. Also At the time I never really had too many 2nd row passengers. However with my wife changing jobs we both have to be able to pick up the kids when before it was always her. But the new job has changed that situation. Also don’t like the short bed look with the large cab. Just looks disproportional to my eye and the quad with the long bed looked better. Plus I got a killer deal on the quad as well.

BNeal

Reaction score
How long you plan to keep the truck should determine new versus used versus lease. If this is a forever truck, buy new. If 3-years and you want out, lease. if you just don't want to spend the money on a new truck, buy used - but proceed with caution here for all the reasons stated above.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Chuck19

Reaction score
How long you plan to keep the truck should determine new versus used versus lease. If this is a forever truck, buy new. If 3-years and you want out, lease. if you just don't want to spend the money on a new truck, buy used - but proceed with caution here for all the reasons stated above.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the advice. Well I drive a lot for work as I am in sales so I don’t keep anything longer than 5 years. I put about 35,000 to 40,000 so if I buy used I look for very low miles or go new.

U

User_3336

A couple of reasons. I wanted the larger 6’4” bed and couldn’t find a crew cab in my area with that. Also At the time I never really had too many 2nd row passengers. However with my wife changing jobs we both have to be able to pick up the kids when before it was always her. But the new job has changed that situation. Also don’t like the short bed look with the large cab. Just looks disproportional to my eye and the quad with the long bed looked better. Plus I got a killer deal on the quad as well.
I do have to agree with you on the point that the quad cab looks better in respect to proportion. i've had both. Got a better deal on the original quad "night edition", but then the black night crew caught my eye! :)

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I will be reaching out to a few dealers with a build sheet to see what they can do. I am still just a little hesitant on taking that new car depreciation value hit. I have only done it twice in my life. Once one a 2014 Wrangler because there really wasn’t much difference in new and used price and then last year on my wife’s odyssey pretty much same deal there. No major difference in price whether new or used
Any leftover 2020 new anywhere? Might be worth looking!

Chuck19

Reaction score
I’m really not finding anything with the specs I want. Mainly no crew cabs with the 6’4” bed.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m all over autotrader and cars.com looking within a 400 mile radius and not finding much of anything with a full size bed and crew cab. I have time and will keep an eye out
I drove 1004 miles each way for my 19, saved me over $5000. It was a fun trip in 3 days lol

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not look into a custom order from Lakeland in FL or Mark Dodge (Aaron) in Louisiana? Lots of info on both in the stickied MSRP thread above.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been going back & forth for a few months on used vs new, finally landed on a used truck. The hardest part with buying used is digging through window stickers to verify options.

Original MSRP on mine was $70,675 buying it CPO for $50,080 with 25k miles. I figure a new order (6% under invoice + $2k rebates) would be about $59,252. As a bonus, being CPO also saves me $1k on MaxCare.

In the end, including tax savings, i’ll keep $11,000 in my pocket buying used vs buying new. To me, that was worth buying used.

Users who are viewing this thread