5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on New vs Used pricing or deals

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been going back & forth for a few months on used vs new, finally landed on a used truck. The hardest part with buying used is digging through window stickers to verify options.

Original MSRP on mine was $70,675 buying it CPO for $50,080 with 25k miles. I figure a new order (6% under invoice + $2k rebates) would be about $59,252. As a bonus, being CPO also saves me $1k on MaxCare.

In the end, including tax savings, i’ll keep $11,000 in my pocket buying used vs buying new. To me, that was worth buying used.
Sounds like a reasonable deal, will they take your truck on trade? I got burned on my trade, they gave me $11000 and then sold it for $18000, but it was simple and no hassle of trying to sell privately.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable deal, will they take your truck on trade? I got burned on my trade, they gave me $11000 and then sold it for $18000, but it was simple and no hassle of trying to sell privately.

Dealer offered me $23,000 on trade, so I’m selling to it outright to Carvana for $26,344

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’d vote for the recommended La dealer and new since I’m spending your money! Hard to find a used 6’4 bed just about anywhere...

Chuck19

Reaction score
I’d vote for the recommended La dealer and new since I’m spending your money! Hard to find a used 6’4 bed just about anywhere...
That’s what i am finding out which is probably what will push me to order new. The 3 really only requirements i need are a long bed crew cab with 4 wheel drive. Not finding anything out there with those specs right now. I will definitely be looking into the La dealer. I am not in a huge rush so i have time to see if anything pops up. Kind of wish i would have just ordered new back when ram was offering the 84 month no interest financing. Oh well lesson learned.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what i am finding out which is probably what will push me to order new. The 3 really only requirements i need are a long bed crew cab with 4 wheel drive. Not finding anything out there with those specs right now. I will definitely be looking into the La dealer. I am not in a huge rush so i have time to see if anything pops up. Kind of wish i would have just ordered new back when ram was offering the 84 month no interest financing. Oh well lesson learned.
I got 0% financing for 84 months when I bought my Rebel, the price did not change even if I would have paid in full, not really a fan of having payments for that long. FCA or now Stellantis is offering 0% for 96 months, that is in Canada, maybe not in the USA.
I had searched for weeks online for my truck, finally found the closest match and it was already on order from the dealer 500 miles away, so I put a deposit and my name was actually on the window sticker showing that this vehicle was specially built for me! This truck is my 10th FCA vehicle, and the first one with my name on it.
I would have much preferred a 6’4” bed but it is not offered on the Rebel.

Chuck19

Reaction score
So after a look at current inventory prices Mark Dodge in La seems to have some really good deals compared to what i have seen in my recent searches. If anyone has experience with them regarding a factory order are they as competitive on that pricing as well? Considering i cant find any crew cabs with 6’4” beds i am going to end up ordering.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I got 0% financing for 84 months when I bought my Rebel, the price did not change even if I would have paid in full, not really a fan of having payments for that long. FCA or now Stellantis is offering 0% for 96 months, that is in Canada, maybe not in the USA.
I had searched for weeks online for my truck, finally found the closest match and it was already on order from the dealer 500 miles away, so I put a deposit and my name was actually on the window sticker showing that this vehicle was specially built for me! This truck is my 10th FCA vehicle, and the first one with my name on it.
I would have much preferred a 6’4” bed but it is not offered on the Rebel.
So with the 0 zero financing there would not add any incentives on the deal?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend a used truck right now. Dealers are paying high prices for them and selling them for even more. I sold my 2019 bighorn for what I bought it for with 15k on it and got a Laramie. See what kind of deals are out there and maybe send some emails out to see what offers you get for your trade in.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 0% for 60 financing on my 2021 and was only able to use a $1500 cash coupon. If you negotiate for a factory order make sure you get the agreed price in writing and had it state price is good before any rebates or incentives.

hoodac78

Reaction score
I bought mine used this past summer. I was like you in the fact that I didn't want to take that initial depreciation hit. I also didn't want to pay 75k (CAD) new for a fully loaded Limited. I was happy with the price I paid for my truck, and felt that I had got a good deal for what I was getting. Used truck prices at the time were higher than normal, but I think it worked out pretty good for me.....there was a bidding war on my used truck and I got more than I had asked for in my autotrader. My truck was traded in on a new Ram as the previous owner decided he wanted an engine with e-torque, and the dealer he bought it from didn't have one at the time he bought mine. Buying used, I was flexible on the color to some extent, but I was adamant that I wanted 3.92, air-suspension and the larger gas tank for when we tow our holiday trailer, so I had to be a bit patient to find a truck that had the lower miles and a good price. All in all though, I think it worked out pretty good for me. Those 'unicorns' you speak of are out there.....patience is key though! Trucks now-a-days cost an arm and a leg regardless, and ultimately it is your money and happiness, so you have to be at peace with whatever decision you make.
Good luck!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about depreciation already on a used RAM, someone bought up up used 6'4" anywhere. I think up here in Northern New Hampshire, a Limited Diesel w/ 6'4" bed + 33 gallon tank should fetch a good penny return in 5-7 years since it'll be fairly unique. We'll have to see.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 0% financing and a rebate of $17,000 in total.
$80,140 was the window sticker price +13 sales tax, registration, plates and fuel
I added the following
Soft tonneau cover $750
Ram running boards $850 (list at $1100) and got $750 back from FCA, I had to give a doctor prescribed note stating chronic sore shoulder
Undercoating and rustproofing warranted for life $1300 (list at $2600)
Rubber mud guards behind each wheel $75 (list $150)
If you add all those together without the discounts it would have been a whopping $95,982
My final out he door was $78,750 it is actually over $17,000 discount, that’s why I drive 9 hours south to buy my vehicles.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend a used truck right now. Dealers are paying high prices for them and selling them for even more. I sold my 2019 bighorn for what I bought it for with 15k on it and got a Laramie. See what kind of deals are out there and maybe send some emails out to see what offers you get for your trade in.
Yeah i agree the used market is crazy high right now. I am not sure how they are selling any of them when they are so close to new car pricing. I wont have a trade in. My nephew is going to be 16 in a few months and i am going to give him this truck i have now.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I bought mine used this past summer. I was like you in the fact that I didn't want to take that initial depreciation hit. I also didn't want to pay 75k (CAD) new for a fully loaded Limited. I was happy with the price I paid for my truck, and felt that I had got a good deal for what I was getting. Used truck prices at the time were higher than normal, but I think it worked out pretty good for me.....there was a bidding war on my used truck and I got more than I had asked for in my autotrader. My truck was traded in on a new Ram as the previous owner decided he wanted an engine with e-torque, and the dealer he bought it from didn't have one at the time he bought mine. Buying used, I was flexible on the color to some extent, but I was adamant that I wanted 3.92, air-suspension and the larger gas tank for when we tow our holiday trailer, so I had to be a bit patient to find a truck that had the lower miles and a good price. All in all though, I think it worked out pretty good for me. Those 'unicorns' you speak of are out there.....patience is key though! Trucks now-a-days cost an arm and a leg regardless, and ultimately it is your money and happiness, so you have to be at peace with whatever decision you make.
Good luck!
Patience is the name of the game for sure! I have a few months to look but if i order one i willl need to do so in the not to distant future because i am not sure how long the build will take. However in my area the used market is so high new seems more and more likely.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I got 0% financing and a rebate of $17,000 in total.
$80,140 was the window sticker price +13 sales tax, registration, plates and fuel
I added the following
Soft tonneau cover $750
Ram running boards $850 (list at $1100) and got $750 back from FCA, I had to give a doctor prescribed note stating chronic sore shoulder
Undercoating and rustproofing warranted for life $1300 (list at $2600)
Rubber mud guards behind each wheel $75 (list $150)
If you add all those together without the discounts it would have been a whopping $95,982
My final out he door was $78,750 it is actually over $17,000 discount, that’s why I drive 9 hours south to buy my vehicles.
That sounds like a very nice deal!

Chuck19

Reaction score
So i went to the ram site to start seeing the options I would want my ideal truck to be built with. After I’m done and i go to print the build sheet specs it comes out with pics nd a description. Not like the ones i have seen posted here. Are the build sheets i see posted here from the ram site or from a dealer?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went new because I refused to pay within $40,000-45,000 for a used truck with 20-30k miles on it when I could get a brand new one for $45,000-50,000 after incentives. Also financing is usually better on new.

Seems like the higher trim trucks take a bigger hit on the used market from what I see everyone saying in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread