5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On and Off Check Engine Light

mkelly4512

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 3.6 Bighorn with eTorque. Bought at ~33k miles, certified pre-owned, so has an extra 3k miles on bumper to bumper warranty. Ever since I bought it, I've had a stubborn CEL continuously coming on and off and have been in and out of the dealership and feel like I'm getting the typical go around. First time "no stored codes" but found that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) needed an update. Second time no codes again and just flat out didn't have an answer. As everyone on this forum understands, this is very frustrating because I don't believe the CEL would be coming on for nothing. Especially multiple times in a week. The truck seems to run fine, but again, I've only had it for ~3k miles/1 month. Considering trying a different dealership in a smaller town about 30 minutes away. If it's truly something obviously I would want to get it covered under warranty but just feels like the dealership is pushing me to when it's outside the warranty period. Any help/general recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Sounds to me like you need either a new cluster or a new ECM, whichever actually provides the trigger for the light. If it's coming on with no corresponding code, something is not working right. Repeated visits with "no problem found" or "unable to duplicate" should have caused someone to open a case with Ram, to escalate it to some engineer-types who may have seen this before or who may want to see the components in question. Maybe @RamCares can build a fire under somebody local,

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 3.6 Bighorn with eTorque. Bought at ~33k miles, certified pre-owned, so has an extra 3k miles on bumper to bumper warranty. Ever since I bought it, I've had a stubborn CEL continuously coming on and off and have been in and out of the dealership and feel like I'm getting the typical go around. First time "no stored codes" but found that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) needed an update. Second time no codes again and just flat out didn't have an answer. As everyone on this forum understands, this is very frustrating because I don't believe the CEL would be coming on for nothing. Especially multiple times in a week. The truck seems to run fine, but again, I've only had it for ~3k miles/1 month. Considering trying a different dealership in a smaller town about 30 minutes away. If it's truly something obviously I would want to get it covered under warranty but just feels like the dealership is pushing me to when it's outside the warranty period. Any help/general recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Hi mkelly4512,
We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble that has been associated with your ownership experience. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance via PM.
Rob
Ram Cares

mkelly4512

Reaction score
CEL came on again this afternoon, drove straight to the dealer and found that it was the eTorque battery pack or "Power Pack Unit". Not sure why it took them 3 times to figure out as it still didn't throw any new codes... but alas, we hopefully have found the reason. All covered under warranty which is good considering the battery pack alone is about $2,500.

Inziny

Reaction score
Happened to me at 1100 miles they couldn’t figure it then towed in again 5900 miles still at dealer for 8 days. They tell me battery pack will be available by 5/14.

JimD007

Reaction score
I'm not sure it would work on this but you can read any emissions related codes with an inexpensive app called "torque". I think I paid $5 for it. You also need an obdii to bluetooth adapter. But with those devices you could look for the code yourself when you see it. I haven't gotten any CEI codes on my Ram but on my BMW, Torque does not read chasis codes so I had to get a separate reader for those (it costs about $100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/