5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok how many here have 0 problems with eco D

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a 2900km road trip with the guys to the UP of Michigan from Ontario.

Averaged 7.5L/100km (31.3MPG). About 10,000km on the GDE tune I got at the end of May.

Truck is a fully loaded limited with 3.92 gears.
3f788c5d0431cded0657e980baf2af63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, 2020 Ram and a 2021 Jeep. Built 18 months apart and had the exact same issues. The Jeep also ended up throwing CELs right before I got rid of it. I maintained both trucks meticulously. Second owner contacted me, said that it ended up catching fire on them. Their dealer had it 3 months and couldn't figure it out. This is after my dealer had it for 1 month (which is why I traded it off early). I wanted to love those engines, but unfortunately what I saw with them is the same garbage European engineering that the Gen 2 engine was plagued with. I'm convinced that the only reason most guys haven't had issues is because very few people have lots of miles on these yet. Good luck! I guess I'll drive a Hemi as long as possible unless the new Hurricane proves itself.
Re: "I'm convinced that the only reason most guys haven't had issues is because very few people have lots of miles on these yet"
>>>I guess you're referring specifically to the Gen-3 EcoDiesel? Because Vern Diesel here on 5th Gen Rams would dispute your statement - he has over 300,000 miles on his first Gen-1 ED, and I believe approaching 400,000 miles on his second Gen-1 ED (all in same truck).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Re: "I'm convinced that the only reason most guys haven't had issues is because very few people have lots of miles on these yet"
>>>I guess you're referring specifically to the Gen-3 EcoDiesel? Because Vern Diesel here on 5th Gen Rams would dispute your statement - he has over 300,000 miles on his first Gen-1 ED, and I believe approaching 400,000 miles on his second Gen-1 ED (all in same truck).
I absolutely love seeing his success and follow him here and on another ram forum. In all fairness though, that’s one person that has a unique use case of mostly highway hauling for the life of his trucks. Again, I’m not saying anyone is wrong and I’m not trying to defend wxman or anyone else- it’s just something that should be mentioned, just like wxman had his own unique case and a black cloud that seems to follow his ecodiesels.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I absolutely love seeing his success and follow him here and on another ram forum. In all fairness though, that’s one person that has a unique use case of mostly highway hauling for the life of his trucks. Again, I’m not saying anyone is wrong and I’m not trying to defend wxman or anyone else- it’s just something that should be mentioned, just like wxman had his own unique case and a black cloud that seems to follow his ecodiesels.
I agree, Vern Diesel's use-case is the perfect match for the EcoDiesel. And I'm not trying to minimize WXman's experience at all -, both experiences are fully legitimate and worth knowing about. I just think that whenever a fairly strong statement either for or against something is stated, it's worthwhile providing a bit of balance right then and there, so that the less-initiated folks can see/hear/read both sides. We all need to be aware of the good, the bad and the ugly, in order to make the most informed decisions.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, Vern Diesel's use-case is the perfect match for the EcoDiesel. And I'm not trying to minimize WXman's experience at all -, both experiences are fully legitimate and worth knowing about. I just think that whenever a fairly strong statement either for or against something is stated, it's worthwhile providing a bit of balance right then and there, so that the less-initiated folks can see/hear/read both sides. We all need to be aware of the good, the bad and the ugly, in order to make the most informed decisions.
Yeah, totally 👍

brentwasham

Reaction score
So, looking at trading my new 2023 5.7 Laramie for a 2022 3.0 ED Laramie with 8K miles, only thing missing is Blind Spot/Cross path detection (damn Stellantis Laramie Level A option pkg). It does have 33 gal tank, sprayed in bedliner and 3.92 axle ratio which is a bonus. Won't know about pandemic deletes until inspect it but looks like power running boards (in SW Edition option pkg) and rear underseat storage are at risk. I am losing the RamBox I have come to love but the deal may net me $3.5 to 7K depending on trade-in appraisal or separate sale. Any ideas on incidence of fuel pump failure? Wondering what my risk factor is since on continued recall, at least I have a bargaining chip on price with the ED discontinuation and recall, it's at a Ford Dealer's used car lot, blue certified and asking $49,987.

70runner

Reaction score
Any ideas on incidence of fuel pump failure?
A question that comes up frequently. I haven't seen any specific stats on this, but from watching several forums I get the sense it's not a significant reliability issue...yet. I use Hot Shot EDT additive that seems pretty popular. YMMV, literally. I love the ED, plenty of power with a remarkable mpg.

Vivrosh

Reaction score
mine is dead at 27k on the highway with no start or crank @dealer Now it has been 8 days they say the starter failed so they ordered a part i asked them to look hpfp issue as well because i am not sure if starter failed that also stopped the truck while running

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
74k miles, no major problem.

the only complaint i have is the leaking rear window (fixed with a $10 sealant from Lowe's) and a bad fm radio reception.

Paco

Reaction score
So, looking at trading my new 2023 5.7 Laramie for a 2022 3.0 ED Laramie with 8K miles, only thing missing is Blind Spot/Cross path detection (damn Stellantis Laramie Level A option pkg). It does have 33 gal tank, sprayed in bedliner and 3.92 axle ratio which is a bonus. Won't know about pandemic deletes until inspect it but looks like power running boards (in SW Edition option pkg) and rear underseat storage are at risk. I am losing the RamBox I have come to love but the deal may net me $3.5 to 7K depending on trade-in appraisal or separate sale. Any ideas on incidence of fuel pump failure? Wondering what my risk factor is since on continued recall, at least I have a bargaining chip on price with the ED discontinuation and recall, it's at a Ford Dealer's used car lot, blue certified and asking $49,987.
You can add those features once you get your eco if you like.
I did to mine.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... at least I have a bargaining chip on price with the ED discontinuation and recall, it's at a Ford Dealer's used car lot, blue certified and asking $49,987.
This is a new one for me. How does a Ford Dealership offer a CPO Ford Warranty (Blue Oval Certified) on a Ram? Didn't think that was possible, I'd grill them on that a bit.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
2021 4x4 Limited with 64k miles on it.

Has not been to the shop once for anything mechanical related. Once for a headlight that burned out. I also drive 110 miles highway every day and I think that helps. Average MPG is 26. Best I have ever gotten is 34mpg and worst is 22mpg with doing 90+ MPH the whole time.

Reaction score
No problems other than the high pressure fuel pump recall. 2022 Limited with 22000 miles. I love this truck

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
46,000 Miles. No issues. Have not had the fuel pump recall done yet. I change the oil every 6000-7500 miles. I'm running EDT, I get DEF wherever (truck stop pumps) and use whatever diesel I can find.

I do change the oil filter with oil and I change the fuel filter every 2nd oil change.

ammdrew

Reaction score
136000, Had to do intake manifold at 125k flutter valves were sticking.. Common with all current diesels so should just be considered maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread