5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok how many here have 0 problems with eco D

66Fuelie

Reaction score
3 months old, 12000 miles and zero problems with engine.
Tom

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So. It’s an injection system failure error. Didn’t get the code from the dealer. Maybe the HPFP. Awesome since Stellantis has ZERO time on the new fuel pumps

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So. It’s an injection system failure error. Didn’t get the code from the dealer. Maybe the HPFP. Awesome since Stellantis has ZERO time on the new fuel pumps
Well, that sucks. Did you use any type of fuel additive?

Someone posted their conversation with Ramcares on another thread, and it looks like you may be able to get a pump that’s already under recall (pump would still be new) until the updated one is available.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been using Hotshots EDT since day 1. Every tank. And extreme at oil changes. They will replace the pump / lines etc with a current one until the new ones are out. So they say.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been using Hotshots EDT since day 1. Every tank. And extreme at oil changes. They will replace the pump / lines etc with a current one until the new ones are out. So they say.
Well, crap. Once again, that sucks that it’s happening.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
'21 EcoDiesel here, at 47,000 miles had the truck throw and injector error code. P026C, fuel injection quantity lower than expected (partially clogged injector.) After a little runaround from the dealer I used a store bought Injector additive and ran it through, problem solved. Other than that, I absolutely love this little diesel. plenty of power and the truck manages to net me 24 MPG mixed driving with 35 inch tires under her. Currently at 51,000 Miles! Truck is at the body shop right now for a small fender bender that happened last year and I'm in a rental Tesla, definitely not comparable to the Ram. Only been a week and I miss the truck a lot :(

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Only problem I've had in 25k is that my next ruck will be a GM with the baby Duramax. How Stupid of them to discontinue the Eco in the Ram trucks?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only problem I've had in 25k is that my next ruck will be a GM with the baby Duramax. How Stupid of them to discontinue the Eco in the Ram trucks?
Well, if it wasn't for the EcoDiesel, you wouldn't have the GM 3.0 L Duramax. Think of the 3.0 L Duramax as your "Gen 4 EcoDiesel" ; -)
Seriously, though, I was listening to Season 2, Episode 27 of the Truck Show Podcast a couple of weeks ago, the guy being interviewed was Scott Birdsall, who totaled his Cummins-powered "Old Smokey" pickup going up Pikes Peak. Birdsall mentioned that next year he'll be campaigning an EcoDiesel-powered vehicle and stated that the ED is a phenomenal engine. Also, Banks Engineering sells their modified version of the EcoDiesel to the US Military, and Gale Banks himself has commented that the ED is a great engine. So although you can no longer get the ED in a Ram half-ton, which is indeed a shame, the ED does live on in other applications and is very well regarded. So we can take solace in those facts.
podcast mentioned: S2, E27 - Scott Birdsall, The Luckiest Man Alive

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. I'm a Chrysler guy at heart, my dad worked there for 42 years but my next truck will be a GM due to stellantis cancelling the ecodiesel. Hopefully that won't be for a while.

My buddy just got a 23 baby Dmax and he's gotten as high as 33mpg on the highway and he loves it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Bought in November 2021. Now has 30k miles. Used 2/3 for towing a 6,000 pound travel trailer around, 1/3 used for running errands. Not a singe issue. Not even water leaking in the rear window/3rd brake light. Im very glad I bought the ED. I actually talked a buddy into selling his power wagon and got a 22 limited ED.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Window leak.

Otherwise...absolutely fabulous vehicle.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just like to see how many here have had zero issues ? Seems like we all get to hear about bad so how many good ?

Guess I'm out. Tried two of them, both Gen 3, and both had issues. Second one was so bad it actually caught fire on the second owner while pulling a small trailer. Never again....

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Guess I'm out. Tried two of them, both Gen 3, and both had issues. Second one was so bad it actually caught fire on the second owner while pulling a small trailer. Never again....
You had two motors with Timing Cover issues right? One Gladiator, and one Ram? keeping my fingers crossed that mine doesn't start dripping!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You had two motors with Timing Cover issues right? One Gladiator, and one Ram? keeping my fingers crossed that mine doesn't start dripping!

Yes, 2020 Ram and a 2021 Jeep. Built 18 months apart and had the exact same issues. The Jeep also ended up throwing CELs right before I got rid of it. I maintained both trucks meticulously. Second owner contacted me, said that it ended up catching fire on them. Their dealer had it 3 months and couldn't figure it out. This is after my dealer had it for 1 month (which is why I traded it off early). I wanted to love those engines, but unfortunately what I saw with them is the same garbage European engineering that the Gen 2 engine was plagued with. I'm convinced that the only reason most guys haven't had issues is because very few people have lots of miles on these yet. Good luck! I guess I'll drive a Hemi as long as possible unless the new Hurricane proves itself.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 54K Miles on my Ecodiesel. I only had the rear parking sensors go out under warranty.
The other stuff is either a Recall or TSB. The DEF and HPFP have not been done yet. Have to wait for the
new pumps to be available to get those done.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread