5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil spewed out of oil filter

RSchanz

Reaction score
First, I promise I'm not a total newb and this is not my first oil change ever and not the first on my truck. I just changed the oil (pennzoil 5w-20 syn.) and filter (Napa Gold part no. 7060) and when I turned the truck on the engine was clicking which I understand is normal after oil change but then said low oil so I shut it off. Probably ran for like 15 seconds. At this point I realized the oil was spewing out of the oil filter. It seems like there is a decent gap where the filter screws on but it was screwed on tightly, what went wrong? I'm scared to change the oil again and lose another $90 if this is going to happen another time.

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You loose the oil filter gasket or cross thread the filter?

RSchanz

Reaction score
You loose the oil filter gasket or cross thread the filter?
I highly doubt cross thread because it went on easy and I hand screwed it on as usual. I guess the filter gasket might have been stuck to the old filter....

RSchanz

Reaction score
More like it stuck to the filter base on the motor and maybe you doubled up gaskets.🤔

I could see that causing a big blowout.

I did clean the area with a rag and recall just seeing metal no rubber gasket so definitely don't think I doubled it. There was for sure a big blowout haha...

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My money is on a double gasket. You removed the filter but the gasket stayed on the housing then the new filter gets screwed on. Happens more often than you think.

Edit.. you could also have a leak from the seam around the base of the filter. A defective filter. Seen that happen too

Last edited:

RSchanz

Reaction score
I'll inspect this evening after work. Thanks for the suggestions. I think regardless of whether it's the filter this is probably the last time I'm using Napa brand.

Ddelallata

Reaction score
Same happened to me many years ago after not properly tightening oil filter. Let us know what you find.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with NAPA gold filters. They're made by WIX. Been using them for years with no issues.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with NAPA gold filters. They're made by WIX. Been using them for years with no issues.
^That. Our auto repair business used wix for a while and switched to napa gold after we talked at length with the Napa rep. We’ve been using them for 14 years IIRC.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'll inspect this evening after work. Thanks for the suggestions. I think regardless of whether it's the filter this is probably the last time I'm using Napa brand.
I've been using napa oil filters for years on every vehicle I've ever owned without issues. They are made by WIX

RSchanz

Reaction score
So the threading on the Napa filter was defective and when I thought it was tight I was wrong. Napa will be getting a call tomorrow.

I added 3 more qts of oil and made sure I added some to the filter so the engine would immediately get oil. Any thoughts on whether or not permanent damage was done to the engine? Again ran for about 10 seconds.

It was hard to tell if I over filled because the dipstick was not giving me clear readings. Oil pressure after warming and at idle is 38 and the oil gauge reads in the middle. What pressure do you guys usually run at idle? Feel like it could use a little more.

IMG_8786.JPG

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
So the threading on the Napa filter was defective and when I thought it was tight I was wrong. Napa will be getting a call tomorrow.

I added 3 more qts of oil and made sure I added some to the filter so the engine would immediately get oil. Any thoughts on whether or not permanent damage was done to the engine? Again ran for about 10 seconds.

It was hard to tell if I over filled because the dipstick was not giving me clear readings. Oil pressure after warming and at idle is 38 and the oil gauge reads in the middle. What pressure do you guys usually run at idle? Feel like it could use a little more.

View attachment 135425
How are the threads on the filter defective? Are you sure you got the correct filter to start with? The filters may look the same but the threads may be completely different. It almost happened to me with my Harley. Fortunately I caught it as I was tightening the filter because it felt wobbly as I was threading it on

SD Rebel

Reaction score

View attachment 135425

Next time I recommend Mopar MO-339, they are $10 at most Walmarts, you won't have any issue with those.

10 seconds should be fine, there was oil in there when you topped it off and ran it after the oil change, just a lot was leaking, still plenty in there, very unlikely any issues. Not like you ran it drained.

The dip stick is an "angle in", which means only the top side is accurate. In reality, when you pull out the dip stick, look at the side that shows the least amount of oil, this is the correct amount. Make sure to check the oil after 5 minutes of stopping and after the oil hit at least 200F to get the most accurate reading.

My pressures when running at cold idle is about 52 psi, at full operational temp at hot idle it's about 30 psi, with oil temps at around 220F. Your reading of 38 psi at 172F maybe fine, but double check you didn't put too much oil in there.

Last edited:

Bob.

Reaction score
15 seconds of no oil won't hurt the engine. 15 minutes will. You did right shutting it down and looking into it.
Your engine was oil soaked before you shut it off to do your oil change. I assume the dirty oil was synthetic as well. Absolutely no worries, your engine is fine.

RSchanz

Reaction score
How are the threads on the filter defective? Are you sure you got the correct filter to start with? The filters may look the same but the threads may be completely different. It almost happened to me with my Harley. Fortunately I caught it as I was tightening the filter because it felt wobbly as I was threading it on
I know it seems unbelievable but I called to double check today and checked online. I also made sure the filter was the correct one. Seemed like the wrong thread size or something just wouldn't spin on correctly. New filter is Mobil 1 which is what was on it before.

Next time I recommend Mopar MO-339, they are $10 at most Walmarts, you won't have any issue with those.

10 seconds should be fine, there was oil in there when you topped it off and ran it after the oil change, just a lot was leaking, still plenty in there, very unlikely any issues. Not like you ran it drained.

The dip stick is an "angle in", which means only the top side is accurate. In reality, when you pull out the dip stick, look at the side that shows the least amount of oil, this is the correct amount. Make sure to check the oil after 5 minutes of stopping and after the oil hit at least 200F to get the most accurate reading.

My pressures when running at cold idle is about 52 psi, at full operational temp at hot idle it's about 30 psi, with oil temps at around 220F. Your reading of 38 psi at 172F maybe fine, but double check you didn't put too much oil in there.

You're thinking it's possible that the 38psi might be pretty high considering it's only 172F right? Any idea ho accurate the oil gauge is? Right in the middle seems fine but usually it had been running 3 quarters full.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I know it seems unbelievable but I called to double check today and checked online. I also made sure the filter was the correct one. Seemed like the wrong thread size or something just wouldn't spin on correctly. New filter is Mobil 1 which is what was on it before.

You're thinking it's possible that the 38psi might be pretty high considering it's only 172F right? Any idea ho accurate the oil gauge is? Right in the middle seems fine but usually it had been running 3 quarters full.

Actually, I think the PSI is fine for the lower temp, after driving a while on a hot day at hot idle, it should be around 30psi, temp wise that's around 220F for oil. So that maybe right at just 172F.

Not sure what that oil gauge represents, I'm assuming it's not oil level??? If so, that is cool and wonder if I have that on my truck!

***Edit: Based on the 2021 manual I downloaded, because really curious about this, that appears to be an oil pressure gauge. The manual states the only way to check oil level is under the hood, there is no warning light or gauge for low oil level. Bummer!

Either way, if your truck has been sitting a while, go ahead and check the level again with the dip stick, make sure to only count the lowest level side you see.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

Who knows, you may have just gotten a bad filter. It happens from time to time with just about every product on the planet. If you only had it running for a few seconds you'll more than likely be fine as long as it didnt run out of oil. It wont take much pressure to spit out especially since it wasnt seated properly because of the wrong threads. Think about it like a garden hose. The water pours out and doesnt go far. Put your finger over the hose and it shoots outs. It's the same idea as a pin hole leak from the filter.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The oil pressure can vary. Mine used to be around 53 at start up, dropping into the mid 30-40’s. It was never one set number, but I was usially driving after a5 or so minutes of idle time.

Users who are viewing this thread