5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil spewed out of oil filter

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Too scared to drive it haha, drove the 86 ford to work today.

Gotcha, probably the do it over again idea is just the best way to start over here. Luckily, there is likely no long-term issues on what happened, just a few bucks in oil and filters.

RSchanz

Reaction score
Drained everything and was only able to recover 4 quarts.

I continue to be baffled by this entire scenario.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I figured you were low based on your dipstick pic.

It looked like you were filled up to here:
View attachment 135498

Wow, looks like you were right, he only got 4 quarts out. I was told by the master tech you will get a oil pressure warning at 5 to 5.5 quarts.

I wonder if there is another quart hiding in the oil filter and housing?

RSchanz

Reaction score
Done and dusted. Re-used 2 qts and bought a new 5 qt. bottle. Dipstick has a clear line in a nice safe area. I was just over analyzing the oil running up the side because of the situation. Thanks for all of your help. Basically going to try to file this in the back of my mind as a bizarre mix-up thanks to the threading on the filter and I'll hope that this doesn't come back to bite me in the ***.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, looks like you were right, he only got 4 quarts out. I was told by the master tech you will get a oil pressure warning at 5 to 5.5 quarts.

This is why you don't trust oil pressure warnings. Too many folks just assume they are going to save your ***, when in fact it's already too late if they come on. My brother-in-law's mother just learned this the hard way.

BowDown

Reaction score
Oil pressure doesn't drop much until the pump is sucking air...

This.
As long as the rpms stay low and the oil can drain back fast enough, you could run on 3 quarts. I know 3 quarts for a fact because my 2003 5.7 Ram was also 7 quarts and I went a little long on the oil change. When I did change it, I got 3 quarts out. Never heard a noise, never got a warning and the oil pressure was never low; sold that truck with 277K miles on it and 50 psi oil pressure.
The heads hold (pool is a better word) the largest amount of oil, probably 3/4 quart each, the lifter valley may hold 1/2 a quart (all when running) the mains and the and the oil gallery may hold a quart altogether, as long as there's a 1/2 quart in the pan, the engine will run with no warnings or noises

BowDown

Reaction score

He was wrong on that

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the threading on the Napa filter was defective and when I thought it was tight I was wrong. Napa will be getting a call tomorrow.

I added 3 more qts of oil and made sure I added some to the filter so the engine would immediately get oil. Any thoughts on whether or not permanent damage was done to the engine? Again ran for about 10 seconds.

It was hard to tell if I over filled because the dipstick was not giving me clear readings. Oil pressure after warming and at idle is 38 and the oil gauge reads in the middle. What pressure do you guys usually run at idle? Feel like it could use a little more.

View attachment 135425

Crap. You've totally trashed your engine and your truck. It's a total loss.

I like you, kid. Here's what I'll do: I've got a 2003 Honda Pilot with a bit over 300k on it. I'll give you that, and take the truck you ruined and figure out what to do with it.

:)

Seriously...you're fine. I'm sure there was plenty of residual oil coating all the internally lubed parts. Running for a few seconds like that will do nothing.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I blew a filter on the interstate a couple years ago and was twelve miles down the road before I figured out what was going on. Stuff happens. Clean up the mess in the driveway and act like nothing happened. :)

Users who are viewing this thread