5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil spewed out of oil filter

RSchanz

Reaction score
Now I feel like an absolute idiot. The dipstick has oil running up the sides but not middle pretty high up, well past where the add oil indicator is. However, the hard line where the entire dipstick is covered is down below the add oil line.

I was once told that run your finger down the dipstick and wherever you first touch oil is where the oil level is.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Now I feel like an absolute idiot. The dipstick has oil running up the sides but not middle pretty high up, well past where the add oil indicator is. However, the hard line where the entire dipstick is covered is down below the add oil line.

I was once told that run your finger down the dipstick and wherever you first touch oil is where the oil level is.
It's best to check the oil cold or at least a minute after you shut the engine off so the oil has a chance to settle.as long as there was some oil on the dipstick the engine should be fine

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd call that a couple quarts low, I don't see anything on the hash marks

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Put a quart in and let it sit for a minute or two then recheck it

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
pull dipstick, wipe with paper towel. Then reinsert fully let sit for a few seconds. Then remove again and hold flat against the paper towel. If you can't see the oil well, look where it wet the paper towel to know the level. It should be between the marks.

If the engine is hot it won't be accurate and will read low on most cars and trucks, but sometimes reads high. Only check it when cold overnight.

I like to hold the paper towel and use it as a guide to keep from getting debris on the dipstick when I reinsert and remove it.

Try to keep the dipstick pointed down. You have oil everywhere. Try not to sling it around or let it run up. Keep it pointed down even when holding sideways just a bit.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Checking it cold this am. Dipstick pics:
View attachment 135444 View attachment 135445 :unsure:

You look like a quart over based on the 2nd pic and your last comment. One side will be really high do to the angle you put in the stick, also oil gets stuck on the back side in the tube. Don't worry, that's not the side that counts.

If the truck has been sitting overnight or shut down a bit, go ahead and check it again. Remove the dipstick and wipe it down fully with a paper towel. Reinsert, and just before you get to the bottom, go slowly on that last few inches. Pull it out immediately and check it again. As mentioned above, keep the dip stick pointed downwards to prevent the oil from moving up on the stick.

The lowest level indicated on either side is the correct level, since the dip stick goes in at an angle, the bottom angle is inaccurate. It will read too high with oil way high (as per your first pic). The top side will be the accurate one and correct reading (as per your 2nd pic).

Looks like, at least based on these pics, you are about 1 quart too high.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Photo #1 looks like just side of tube scrapings. Photo #2 shows nothing in either hole and looks dry down to at least 2 quarts low, left of the flex bend is harder to tell - may be almost 4 quarts low.

I'm looking at his photo 2 on a large high def screen, he has oil all the way beyond the 2nd hole, he is over by 1 quart.

Pic below, you can see on the blue line the oil is consistent all the way up, the red arrow shows where the oil level ends on the stick.

Oil Dip Stick.JPG

RSchanz

Reaction score
Haha gotta love over analyzing the dipistick.

I would say it's almost impossible that it's low by 4 qts especially. I coulddnt tell how much I lost because its on gravel but at this point I've added 3 extra quarts so assuming I lost no oil I would be at 10 qts! I can imagine I lost all 7 qts during that 10 second start up.

I think easiest solution and most annoying will be to drain the oil again into a clean catch pan and then re-fill my empty qt bottles and start from scratch. 😤

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Haha gotta love over analyzing the dipistick.

I would say it's almost impossible that it's low by 4 qts especially. I coulddnt tell how much I lost because its on gravel but at this point I've added 3 extra quarts so assuming I lost no oil I would be at 10 qts! I can imagine I lost all 7 qts during that 10 second start up.

I think easiest solution and most annoying will be to drain the oil again into a clean catch pan and then re-fill my empty qt bottles and start from scratch. 😤

You want to be sure, but based on your 2nd photo, you are clearly just 1 quart over. Which makes sense, you lost 2 quarts during the leak and went 1 too much with 3 quarts.

I would just drain 1 quart and check again, you should be fine then.

Scram1500

Reaction score
It should look like this, nice even coverage. This was from sitting overnight
20220727_114744~2.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm looking at his photo 2 on a large high def screen, he has oil all the way beyond the 2nd hole, he is over by 1 quart.

Pic below, you can see on the blue line the oil is consistent all the way up, the red arrow shows where the oil level ends on the stick.

View attachment 135446

There isn't any oil on the section that I circled, making me believe that the oil above the high fill mark is from the dipstick tube.

Dipstick.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There isn't any oil on the section that I circled, making me believe that the oil above the high fill mark is from the dipstick tube.

View attachment 135449

Absolutely can see what you saw there. However, there is oil in that section, just thinned out. Also thick oil above that area, this is also the top side, so not a lot of oil drag in that area. Oil thins out on the dipstick, especially if hot, but the amount of oil above the hash section clearly shows to me how much oil he has.

100% think he is over by about 1 quart. Based on what he stated recently, he clearly isn't down any oil, but likely over.

RSchanz

Reaction score
I let it idle for like 8 minutes last night after the change then checked the oil this am. photos are from a cold engine this morning.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I let it idle for like 8 minutes last night after the change then checked the oil this am. photos are from a cold engine this morning.
If I were to get multiple different answers on the internet on how to check the dipstick, at that point, I would just go straight to the owners where it says to check the oil level on level ground 5 minutes after shutting down a fully warmed up engine.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Gotcha, have you checked since your last drive, what does it look like now.

Users who are viewing this thread