5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil leak from top of motor

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I've been meaning to post an update on my timing cover leak issue/saga. I am in a bit of a battle with FCA so I don't want to divulge too much right now. Short of the long is I just got my truck back this week, after 110 days at the dealership. It took 3 months to get a replacement EGR tube. No explanation as to why, but guessing COVID. I'll post an update and complete story when and if I get a resolution from FCA. Hopefully you don't experience what I went through. Good luck.
110 days! That's insane

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
110 days! That's insane
You are telling me.......Like I mentioned I'm giving FCA a chance to make this right, so far I'm not impressed.... I'm just glad to have my truck back. Feels like I just purchased a brand new truck after driving a base model Jeep Cherokee for the last 3 months!!!

california hauler

Reaction score
You are telling me.......Like I mentioned I'm giving FCA a chance to make this right, so far I'm not impressed.... I'm just glad to have my truck back. Feels like I just purchased a brand new truck after driving a base model Jeep Cherokee for the last 3 months!!!
Glad you got yours back and I'm hoping mine is simple to fix as well. Good luck with FCA, seems like the issues are 100% a workmanship issue, not engineering, which makes me hopeful that stuff can be fixed, and then these trucks will last a long time.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t mean to derail.. but where should I look for this Cover leak?.. Pics please if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Don’t mean to derail.. but where should I look for this Cover leak?.. Pics please if possible

I didn't dig too much into the leak before I took it in to the dealership. I noticed oil on my garage floor. That was enough for me to take it in for warranty.
Glad you got yours back and I'm hoping mine is simple to fix as well. Good luck with FCA, seems like the issues are 100% a workmanship issue, not engineering, which makes me hopeful that stuff can be fixed, and then these trucks will last a long time.

I agree. The same part keeps failing (upper timing cover). Thing is the effort it takes to get to the timing cover.... injectors, valve covers, water pump, EGR cooler, and oil pan had to come off to get to the timing cover.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

On mine, it was the leaking from the driver side front of the block near where the head and block are bolted together. This is why I believe that a lot of dealers misdiagnose it as a head gasket leak. The oil would drip down around the cooler and HVAC compressor to the ground.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
What do you think a fair resolution is? I think best case scenario they make three months worth of payments. But would be surprised if they do more.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go for an extended warranty

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
What do you think a fair resolution is? I think best case scenario they make three months worth of payments. But would be surprised if they do more.
I'll let the group know what FCA offers. Just curious, would you be okay with that resolution offer? 110 days at the dealership, 3 monthly loan payments, insurance, and just paid CA registration. Oh yea, I bought a new travel trailer that I couldn't tow.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I'll let the group know what FCA offers. Just curious, would you be okay with that resolution offer? 110 days at the dealership, 3 monthly loan payments, insurance, and just paid CA registration. Oh yea, I bought a new travel trailer that I couldn't tow.
If you dont present them with what you believe is fair why would they give you anything more than a few free oil changes.

Go get a rental and back bill them then.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
110 days - Holy ****balls!!! gonna wander on out and check for a leak....curious....when were your trucks (with leaks) built? Mines a Jun 2020 build. I shall report back shortly on what I see.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
110 days - Holy ****balls!!! gonna wander on out and check for a leak....curious....when were your trucks (with leaks) built? Mines a Jun 2020 build. I shall report back shortly on what I see.
I was going to ask that same question. I bought my truck in Dec of 2019 it has a build date of Nov 2019. It was one of the first revamped ecodiesel motors in my area.

california hauler

Reaction score
I got mine back on Friday from its second oil leak. The first time was the mechanical vacuum pump. This time they said it was the timing cover. They ended up replacing the mechanical vacuum pump again as well! Hoping I'm done for now with problems...

Users who are viewing this thread