5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change Intervals

Interval Choice

• Your chosen interval, 5,000 or less

Votes: 69 34.2%
  • Your chosen interval, 5,000 or more

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • Oil change indicator, 25%-50%

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • Oil change indicator, <25%

Votes: 64 31.7%

• Total voters

VegasRob55

Reaction score
This is part of why I'm so happy to have a Ram truck. The Engine and transmission.
This 5.7 Hemi has seen life and use in 3/4ton trucks for many many years!

Good tips on the oil life there. This thread has a lot of neat info in it
The 5.7 HEMI in HD applications has not gone well, but yeah... In a half-ton, it is easily the best motor and tranny combo money can buy.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
I do mine when the OLM is down around 10%. This is typically about 6,000 miles of daily driving/commuting to work. I use Valvoline full synthetic 5w-20. I also use whatever oil filter Valvoline Instant Oil Change uses on their Full Syn O.C. package.
Update! I started doing 5k intervals, as I feel the MDS kick in much harder after the oil hits the 5k mark. Once i change it, MDS kicks in and out smooth as butter again. I've read the oil acts as hydraulic fluid for the MDS lifters, and it makes sense now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update! I started doing 5k intervals, as I feel the MDS kick in much harder after the oil hits the 5k mark. Once i change it, MDS kicks in and out smooth as butter again. I've read the oil acts as hydraulic fluid for the MDS lifters, and it makes sense now.
This alone would convince me to do shorter OCI's, as well as rethink the oil I was using. If the oil had degraded to the point that it affects MDS operation at only 5k miles I'd be worried about what else might be affected by that oil. I have no experience with Valvoline full synthetic oil, but I use Redline 5W-30 synthetic, and when I was actually doing closer to 10k mile OCI's I didn't experience any change in MDS operation between oil changes. I disable MDS now, but I've also switched to 5k OCI's.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer has me on 7500 mile intervals. Free oil changes for life, so they are welcome to it. I did do my first oil change at about 5000 miles and had them do it at about 9500 to keep me under the 10,000 mark.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If that's happening you need to stop getting that crap oil from an express shop. A real full syn oil will not be spent at 5k miles. You are getting shafted by them somehow or you are imaging mds being worse after 5k.

Another thing is you might be burning oil and running very low if you are not checking it ever.

Rebond

Reaction score
1st change on new engine 1,000 miles. After that every 3,000-4,000 depending on how beat up and busy I am with work.

Valvoline or Pennzoil full synthetic with Wix XP filter. Empty catch cans in both trucks at 2,000 miles.

According to the window sticker oil change reminder, our new Mojave was already 3 months overdue on it's oil change upon purchase. Did the dealer change it before we drove it home? Of course not, they didn't even understand the Jeep Wave program or half the features on the vehicle. Even the windshield washer reservoir was left bone dry.

I do all my own vehicle maintenance. Any time I've let a dealer work on my vehicles there's always an issue. One time while waiting on our 2017 JK free oil change, my wife and I watched a tech get in it from the waiting room. He proceeded to blast the stereo and peel out to drive across the street where the service bays were. Another time I took my 2013 Ram 1500 in for a recall. Got it back with a dent in the front bumper. Of course they said it was there when I brought it in and I had to fix it myself.

I'd rather go to the dentist than a dealership.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
And how many miles/months is that?
This is a really good report! This oil was run ~2,300 miles longer than the last sample, yet iron
and copper are much lower this time around. Whether or not the excess metal in that last oil was residual
from break-in, the improvements here make it pretty clear that the engine's mechanical parts have been
getting along well over the last 6,452 miles. The oil's physical properties look good, too, so running the next fill of oil about 8,500 miles should work well.

Users who are viewing this thread