5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change Intervals

Interval Choice

• Your chosen interval, 5,000 or less

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Your chosen interval, 5,000 or more

Votes: 45 22.0%
  • Oil change indicator, 25%-50%

Votes: 24 11.7%
  • Oil change indicator, <25%

Votes: 65 31.7%

• Total voters

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious at what interval everyone changes the oil in their 5.7 HEMI. I know that there may be exceptions based on trips coming up and weather etc. so please try to answer to what you would do for a regular change.

If you change yours based on the indicator and track your miles, please include if possible:
  • Miles you went on the oil
  • % remaining when you changed your oil
  • Your choice of oil
I did my first change at 4k with Amsoil OE, now I'm at ~11,600 and will be changing within the next 200 miles as I am supposed to take a long trip at the end of the month.
Currently, my oil life is at 12% with ~7500 miles, <300 miles towing 8k. Quick estimation says that I could get up to 1,000 miles until 0%, that would yield ~8,500 miles using the indicator.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
OLM down to 0% should've been a choice, which I guess is sort of covered by the <25%, which is what I do instead of picking a random number.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm with HoosierTrooper, I wait until the oil life is close to 0% which is about 10K miles. I use PUP synthetic so I'm not worried about running the 'full interval'.

Pre-COVID I was putting 2500 miles a month on the odometer so time is never a concern. My wife, however, drives her Jeep about 2000 miles a year so I have to change hers every year.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually just go for every 5k and check the monitor out of curiosity. So 0-1,500'ish, again at 5k, and every 5k after that. Makes it easy to remember.. OCM had never been reset and I checked it last week (6,500 miles on the truck) and it said oil life as 65%. :rolleyes:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me it's miles or years whichever comes first, but it's almost always based on years. My oil never miles out, it ages out since I got a lot of vehicles and can't drive them enough.

5,000 miles or 1 year on my new daily driver. In this case my RAM in order to stay warranty on the 5yr/60k powertrain.

3,000 miles or 2 years on my old rarely driven vehicles (1993 Ford Ranger, 1998 JGC, 1999 Lexus ES300)

2,000 miles or 2 years on my old motorcycles (2006 SV650S, 2009 Buell 1125R)

Note that I only use high-quality synthetics and live in a temperate zone, so our oils aren't contaminated by winter weather that would normally require an annual service. Based on my oil analysis, I can easily go 3 years on my oil changes.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be doing my first oil change whenever I get around to calling. I'm at 3200 miles right now. After that I'll follow the on board oil life monitor. Never had an issue following the manufacturers recommended oil change interval and with the quality of today's synthetic oils I feel comfortable.

It's kind of crazy to me that people will buy the most expensive oil Amsoil makes and replace it every 5000 miles multiple times a yr. I recognize that's an extreme example but they do exist. If you're running regular oil then I'm able to understand that decision more.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be doing my first oil change whenever I get around to calling. I'm at 3200 miles right now. After that I'll follow the on board oil life monitor. Never had an issue following the manufacturers recommended oil change interval and with the quality of today's synthetic oils I feel comfortable.

It's kind of crazy to me that people will buy the most expensive oil Amsoil makes and replace it every 5000 miles multiple times a yr. I recognize that's an extreme example but they do exist. If you're running regular oil then I'm able to understand that decision more.
I have a buddy who is buying signature series from me and has still been going by the oil life monitor in his vehicle, I don't understand it either....
However, after I use up my last change of OE I will be going to the XL line. It's a 12,000 miles change regardless of usage and the more towing I do with the trailer the more it will save me in the long run.

I have the same sentiment, premium synthetic oils have come a long long ways compared to oils from 20 years ago. But to each their own, people will still do what they want until you can convince them otherwise. I will still sell them the best oil.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have increased the change interval through the years. I don’t pay a lot of attention to the oil monitor, but change based on miles driven. I typically go about 7000 miles and use mobile one synthetic.

Nickjansen

Reaction score
I change my oil once the electronic display reads about 50%. Switching from PUP/MOPAR filter too AMS oil SS & AMS oil SS filter. I have done research into the oil interval electronic calculator built into our trucks.. the technology and parameters surrounding the % it reads is much more calculated and accurate than many people understand. However a guideline I have come across, 15% is known to be time to book a change, 5% change immediately and 0% is overdue. Due to these guidelines.. I believe that changing around 45-50% too be on the safe side and ensures fresh additives are always working through the engine and such. Let us not forget the benefit of fresh additives moving around inside of quality base oil that is being cycled regularly has for getting rid of many of the issues we find even at Top Tier gas stations. *cough PCV VALVE cough* The 5.7l HEMI is a very stout engine that will outlast most peoples ownership cycles.. However for those of us that appreciate the true mechanics of the HEMI, we know that not only is cycling the oil cheap insurance.. but more importantly it will keep the engine purring as it should and ensure that 12 years from now that the HEMI gets the recognition we all know it deserves by having the least amount of issues and most motors still rolling down the road.

ps. change your spark plugs on time!!!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I change my oil once the electronic display reads about 50%. Switching from PUP/MOPAR filter too AMS oil SS & AMS oil SS filter. I have done research into the oil interval electronic calculator built into our trucks.. the technology and parameters surrounding the % it reads is much more calculated and accurate than many people understand. However a guideline I have come across, 15% is known to be time to book a change, 5% change immediately and 0% is overdue. Due to these guidelines.. I believe that changing around 45-50% too be on the safe side and ensures fresh additives are always working through the engine and such. Let us not forget the benefit of fresh additives moving around inside of quality base oil that is being cycled regularly has for getting rid of many of the issues we find even at Top Tier gas stations. *cough PCV VALVE cough* The 5.7l HEMI is a very stout engine that will outlast most peoples ownership cycles.. However for those of us that appreciate the true mechanics of the HEMI, we know that not only is cycling the oil cheap insurance.. but more importantly it will keep the engine purring as it should and ensure that 12 years from now that the HEMI gets the recognition we all know it deserves by having the least amount of issues and most motors still rolling down the road.

ps. change your spark plugs on time!!!

Just FYI, Amsoil does not spec a 25k mile filter for the 5th gen Rams so you would have to change the filter before 15k miles. From what I've read you could use the 25k mile filter for the 4th gen and it should fit, but I have not tried it personally so ymmv.

Nickjansen

Reaction score
Just FYI, Amsoil does not spec a 25k mile filter for the 5th gen Rams so you would have to change the filter before 15k miles. From what I've read you could use the 25k mile filter for the 4th gen and it should fit, but I have not tried it personally so ymmv.

I would never go to 15k miles anyways. Oil change intervals from oil manufacturers is just a d**k measuring competition anyway as every application per vehicle requires different. Its similar to sunscreen company saying this will last for 45 minutes through water..... like.. ummm rightttttt.. for Michael Phelps or a toddler. Thanks though!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think with modern oils and engines, 5,000 miles is plenty conservative on conventional oils, 7,500 on synthetics. Plenty of oil analysis that say so. But in the end, it's just a few bucks in the scheme of things, especially on the backdrop of a $40,000 - $60,000 truck.

Change your oil at whatever makes you feel best (within the guidelines of you warranty of course). Some people like to save money and think any extra wear is negligible. While some rather spend a few bucks as peace of mind and "cheap insurance". Won't likely make a difference in the long term either way, just do what makes you feel good and comfortable.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm coming from 10+ years with an old Ford diesel that was absolutely abusive to the oil. If you used it too long there was a noticeable difference as the additives depleted.

I ran dino oil and changed it every 5K miles (for some reason my truck really liked Mobil Delvac). Many guys were running full synthetic for 10K miles before changing it.

As much as I'm OCD and uber-conservative on most things, there's no way these HEMIs are as hard on oil. Sure there are some factors to consider (passages are probably smaller, tolerances are tighter, MDS, etc.) but if my last truck was pushing 3000 psi oil pressure and going 10K miles on synthetic then I'm confident my HEMI can go 10K on synthetic too.

Just my .02

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure there are some factors to consider (passages are probably smaller, tolerances are tighter, MDS, etc.) but if my last truck was pushing 3000 psi oil pressure and going 10K miles on synthetic then I'm confident my HEMI can go 10K on synthetic too.
Your last truck was running an oil pressure of 3000 psi and it didn't explode??? :unsure:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your last truck was running an oil pressure of 3000 psi and it didn't explode??? :unsure:
It was an old Powerstroke (7.3L). Oil would be pumped up to a reservoir on top of the engine then through a high pressure oil pump and through a pressure regulator for 1500-3000 psi (based on engine load, RPM, and throttle position) to actuate the injectors.

While the newer diesel trucks are common rail (20,000 psi fuel pressure through piezo-electric actuated injectors) mine was "old school" with hydraulic electric injection (hydraulic to control the injector actuation and electric to control the pulse width). The fuel pressure was only about 65 psi and the injector intensified the fuel pressure during delivery. It was easier to work on, prone to oil leaks, and sounded like a garbage truck...man do I miss that truck!

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well since I have 4 free oil changes that expire December 31, 2021 and don’t drive a tremendous amount of miles I am doing mine every 6 months for the first 2 years ;)

Users who are viewing this thread