5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change Intervals

Interval Choice

• Your chosen interval, 5,000 or less

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Your chosen interval, 5,000 or more

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • Oil change indicator, 25%-50%

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Oil change indicator, <25%

Votes: 78 33.2%

• Total voters

RamminBuff

Reaction score
It's obviously an issue with the app. Sounds like it's time to contact the dealership about it or just ignore the app. Is there a way to just reset the app?
I don’t know. I’ve tried. Since it was still so new, I also tried resetting the oil life in the truck. Nothing.

heffy

Reaction score
Anyone who wants to keep their engine running past 150,000 miles should change it every 5,000 miles using synthetic oil 3000 miles using conventional oil. These hemi's have small passage way's that will get clogged if you don't follow this. Even one miss (going 10K) could put you in jeopardy. I know that from experience. I also do an engine flush every 50,000, every other oil change (on the 10's) I add a half a quart of MMO in 2 to 300 miles before the change (you could also use seafoam) I have trucks with over 400,000 miles on them, so I believe changing the oil is the secrete. We drive them hard and the only things we maintain are the oil changes at 5k trans fluid change every 80K rear diff every 50k. Only weak link has been the rear end gears getting chewed. Take it for what it's worth. I prefer Castorl Edge, but any synthetic oil should be fine.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to keep their engine running past 150,000 miles should change it every 5,000 miles using synthetic oil 3000 miles using conventional oil. These hemi's have small passage way's that will get clogged if you don't follow this. Even one miss (going 10K) could put you in jeopardy. I know that from experience. I also do an engine flush every 50,000, every other oil change (on the 10's) I add a half a quart of MMO in 2 to 300 miles before the change (you could also use seafoam) I have trucks with over 400,000 miles on them, so I believe changing the oil is the secrete. We drive them hard and the only things we maintain are the oil changes at 5k trans fluid change every 80K rear diff every 50k. Only weak link has been the rear end gears getting chewed. Take it for what it's worth. I prefer Castorl Edge, but any synthetic oil should be fine.
I’ve been doing 10,000 mile oil changes using synthetic for over well over 20 years now. Easily logged over a half million miles during that time. Zero issues and never even been in a shop for any type of repair or even warranty work.

If it makes you feel better changing synthetic at 5000 miles more power to you. I would never tell anybody else what to do. That’s your choice. If it gives you peace of mind that all that matters. I just don’t like wasting good oil. Oil tests show that synthetic lasts way longer than people believe. Amsoil makes synthetic that’s guaranteed for 25,000 miles. I would never go that long but that proves how much more superior oil is these days compared to the past.

Last edited:

heffy

Reaction score
I’ve been doing 10,000 mile oil changes using synthetic for over well over 20 years now. Easily logged over a half million miles during that time. Zero issues and never even been in a shop for any type of repair or even warranty work.

If it makes you feel better changing synthetic at 5000 miles more power to you. I would never tell anybody else what to do. That’s your choice. If it gives you peace of mind that all that matters. I just don’t like wasting good oil. Oil tests show that synthetic lasts way longer than people believe. Amsoil makes synthetic that’s guaranteed for 25,000 miles. I would never go that long but that proves how much more superior oil is these days compared to the past.
I recycle the oil into my diesel trucks. Had a 2004 Hemi sport truck, at 160,000 miles forgot to change oil at 163,000 one lifter stuck. Was lucky enough to free it up by flushing engine with Moly, adding rislone, MMO, trans fluid in different amounts...doing 3 oil changes 1000 miles apart. 500 miles into the 3rd oil changed it freed up., truck now has over 400k miles running strong. Tried going 10K between changes on my 2015, at 170,000 started ticking and chewed up the cam. Maybe if you baby the engine and certainly DO NOT let them idle for long periods of time you have luck going 10K. It makes me feel better, so I'll keep doing it. It also makes me feel better to change the "lifetime trans fluid" as well!

Users who are viewing this thread