5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interval on new 2020 ram 1500 5.7

paulsenjw

Reaction score
So I’ve heard the back and forth and I even work for FCA in service (not as a technician) but I wanted to know everyone’s take on what interval oil changes should happen. My VIN specific Maintenance Schedule from FCA is at 10k intervals but I hear from a lot of people that 7500 is best. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eyeguy

Reaction score
None other than oil analysis others have done with 8-10 k on odometer that show oil that is not yet "worn out". Road and warmed up miles that clear moisture... from oil are easier on oil than many short trips without getting to temp... You are in charge of you and your oil do what makes you feel best.

eyeguy

Reaction score
As I posted in my first response I would go 8-9k max. Thats just what I am comfortable with as a max. Usually change closer to 7-8k.

Reverse

Reaction score
So I’ve heard the back and forth and I even work for FCA in service (not as a technician) but I wanted to know everyone’s take on what interval oil changes should happen. My VIN specific Maintenance Schedule from FCA is at 10k intervals but I hear from a lot of people that 7500 is best. Any thoughts?

Just follow what the manual says. Which is to go by the counter in the dash: usually it tells me to change every 10,000 miles. FCA also states that is the maximum number of miles you should go. Counter may tell you to change earlier depending on how your truck is driven.

I have been doing this for years. Also had oil analyzed just to verify and they also reommended I could go as much as 10,000 miles.

Or you could decide FCA doesn't know what they're talking about and follow some random advice from people on the Intertubes...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just follow what the manual says. Which is to go by the counter in the dash: usually it tells me to change every 10,000 miles. FCA also states that is the maximum number of miles you should go. Counter may tell you to change earlier depending on how your truck is driven.

I have been doing this for years. Also had oil analyzed just to verify and they also reommended I could go as much as 10,000 miles.

Or you could decide FCA doesn't know what they're talking about and follow some random advice from people on the Intertubes...
Agreed. And with a lifetime warranty, you can bet I follow the manual ;)

paulsenjw

Reaction score

I understand and agree with what you’re saying but the reality is FCA and all other OEM’s play with the interval amount because it all factors into cost of ownership. Thanks for the heads up on having the oil analyzed. I’m sure I’ll fall in between 7500 and 10000

Stickerhead

Reaction score
7500 for my vehicles with Synthetic oil. I know a guy ran 30k on his diesels but had double filters he changes every 10k. Synthetic was still good at 30k according to the testing

Goody

Reaction score
The manufactures spend a lot of money figuring out the requirements so they can figure out the risk/cost analysis on the warranty. So I recommend following the guidelines in the manual as already stated. The other factor would be to send an oil sample to the lab for testing and your own piece of mind if you really feel the need to double check. Modern oils are so much better now as are the engineering that goes into engine designs. However, issues still find their way into the system from time to time. I just know that I will not be following the 3k/3month rule that Jiffy Lube spent a lot of advertising dollars trying to convince the public to use. I use full synthetics and quality filters in my cars and never use recycled oils. They have their place I am sure, just not in my garage. There are site devoted entirely to motor oils.....

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
None other than oil analysis others have done with 8-10 k on odometer that show oil that is not yet "worn out". Road and warmed up miles that clear moisture... from oil are easier on oil than many short trips without getting to temp... You are in charge of you and your oil do what makes you feel best.
Everyone has their favorite mileage to change. If you don't do the oil analysis then follow the FCA guidelines for either full synthetic or dino. I follow a severe duty service schedule for my commute car as it's only 7 miles one way at 35 mph average, so the motor doesn't fully warm up to burn off the moisture. If you have a short commute like I do then change more often.
If you have a good mix or mostly highway then you can take it closer to the recommended limits.
Oil is cheap (relatively), motors are not.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The manufactures spend a lot of money figuring out the requirements so they can figure out the risk/cost analysis on the warranty. So I recommend following the guidelines in the manual as already stated. The other factor would be to send an oil sample to the lab for testing and your own piece of mind if you really feel the need to double check. Modern oils are so much better now as are the engineering that goes into engine designs. However, issues still find their way into the system from time to time. I just know that I will not be following the 3k/3month rule that Jiffy Lube spent a lot of advertising dollars trying to convince the public to use. I use full synthetics and quality filters in my cars and never use recycled oils. They have their place I am sure, just not in my garage. There are site devoted entirely to motor oils.....
"Bob is the oil guy" or something like that, however it's basically a forum and full of opinion.
Use any manufacturers coupons they send you and ask your service dept. about pre-paid specials, usually that's a less expensive way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Bob is the oil guy" or something like that, however it's basically a forum and full of opinion. Use any manufacturers coupons they send you and ask your service dept. about pre-paid specials, usually that's a less expensive way to go.
That is THE forum for oil discussions!

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Either follow the maintenance minder provided by the manufacturer, send in a sample and follow the lab's advice (best method) or pretend you're a chemical/lubricant engineer and pick something based on internet speculation, etc.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I drive approx. 7,000 miles per year. I currently have 3,200 miles on my truck. It was manufactured 12/18, sat on the lot for 6 months, and purchased in June 2019. Should I do my first oil change now, or wait until I get to approx. 7,500 which would be at the 1 year mark of owning the truck. My gut says to change it now and every 6 months thereafter because of how little I drive the truck (short trips mostly to/from commuter lot). Thoughts?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I drive approx. 7,000 miles per year. I currently have 3,200 miles on my truck. It was manufactured 12/18, sat on the lot for 6 months, and purchased in June 2019. Should I do my first oil change now, or wait until I get to approx. 7,500 which would be at the 1 year mark of owning the truck. My gut says to change it now and every 6 months thereafter because of how little I drive the truck (short trips mostly to/from commuter lot). Thoughts?
At least once a year or 10K miles, whichever comes first.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I drive about the same amount. I changed mine for the 1st time at around 3K miles in January 2019 and planned to change it annually from that point forward. Consequently, I just performed my 2nd oil change two days ago at 10K miles (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter).

Users who are viewing this thread