5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interval on new 2020 ram 1500 5.7

john94si

Reaction score
I did my first with Mobil1 @ 3k miles and the rest every 5k miles.. its cheap insurance for a a longer motor life..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I drive approx. 7,000 miles per year. I currently have 3,200 miles on my truck. It was manufactured 12/18, sat on the lot for 6 months, and purchased in June 2019. Should I do my first oil change now, or wait until I get to approx. 7,500 which would be at the 1 year mark of owning the truck. My gut says to change it now and every 6 months thereafter because of how little I drive the truck (short trips mostly to/from commuter lot). Thoughts?
First off, I've never ordered a vehicle, so I've only ever bought off the lot. I do the first oil change at between 1k and 3k miles on a new vehicle. Unless you buy a vehicle with less than 10 miles on the odometer, you don't know how it's been driven. And any more miles than that are usually test drive miles. Which aren't exactly the easiest miles. There's also the break-in period which, while it isn't what it used to be, is still a factor for me. I'm sure it's overkill to change it that soon, but it's my peace of mind that matters to me. After the initial oil change, I follow the oil change schedule in the manual. Oh, and I use full synthetic oil (PUP).

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not to belabor the issue however (why not...) I would recommend you read up on the "severe duty" vs. "normal" oil change schedule from the owners manual. I don't have access to the manual at the moment however most state that "severe duty" is a lot of city stop and go, short distance driving, excessive idling (think taxi) or towing heavy.

One dealer blurb about the service schedule said that normal use is an 8000 mile change but towing or other forms of severe usage is more frequent:
Driving Conditions
"These service intervals serve as a good guideline for how often your Ram needs service, but your vehicle's ideal schedule may vary. Many factors influence your vehicle's health and service intervals, but the most important is your driving conditions.

Severe driving conditions subject your vehicle to excess stress and wear, meaning you may need more frequent service and maintenance to keep it operating at its peak. Such conditions include stop-and-go driving, heavy towing and hauling, a lot of driving over short distances at low speeds and driving in extreme climates with excessively hot or cold temperatures. If any of these conditions apply to you, it's best to consult a service technician to ensure that your vehicle is getting the care it needs."

While they don't give a mileage recommendation, (remember this isn't the manual) You can presume somewhere between 5 and 6K for severe use. Of course this is with good oil, not re-refined 30w lawnmower stuff. Theres plenty of threads about whose oil is best...

For the other end of the advice spectrum, here's an older 2013 article excerpt from Edmunds: https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/stop-changing-your-oil.html
Begin article quote:
Stop Changing Your Oil!
by Philip Reed, Senior Consumer Advice Editor
April 23rd, 2013
Oil chemistry and engine technology have evolved tremendously in recent years, but you'd never know it from the quick-change behavior of American car owners. Driven by an outdated 3,000-mile oil change commandment, they are unnecessarily spending millions of dollars and spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil.
The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend.

After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping.
"Vehicles are so sophisticated that oil is one of the last things that customers can have a direct influence over," said Matt Snider, project engineer in GM's Fuels and Lubricants Group. "There's maybe some feeling that they're taking care of their vehicle if they change their oil more often."

The 3,000-mile myth is also promoted by the quick-lube industry's "convenient reminder" windshield sticker. It is a surprisingly effective tool that prompts us to continue following a dictate that our fathers (or grandfathers) drummed into our heads: It's your duty to change your oil every 3,000 miles — or your car will pay the price. But as former service advisor David Langness put it, the 3,000-mile oil change is "a marketing tactic that dealers use to get you into the service bay on a regular basis. Unless you go to the drag strip on weekends, you don't need it."

End of copied excerpt.

So, change it when you think it's due.
Want warm fuzzies? Change it more often.
Want to save money (at least short-term)? Follow the maintenance minder.
Trade every 2-3 years? Don't waste money on excessive oil changes.

Me, I'll continue to change her trucks oil at least every 5K, and perhaps more often when I get the cheapo "get you into the service door" coupons for $19.95... we dont put much mileage on (750 per month so far) so it sits a lot. I don't think oil is hydroscopic like brake fluid yet at least semi-annual oil changes should be considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did my first with Mobil1 @ 3k miles and the rest every 5k miles.. its cheap insurance for a a longer motor life..
Assuming you spend $50 per oil change, you'll spend $1,000 more over 200K miles on wastefully changing the oil more often than needed for little to no benefit. Plus the lost time of doing it yourself or taking it somewhere.

john94si

Reaction score
Assuming you spend $50 per oil change, you'll spend $1,000 more over 200K miles on wastefully changing the oil more often than needed for little to no benefit. Plus the lost time of doing it yourself or taking it somewhere.
Yep.. and id love to compare my my engine toredown to your 10k mile oil change engine at the end of 200k miles.. for $1000 over 10 years thats fine with me.

bazbob

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 1500 Limited 5.7+eTorque 2 weeks ago. My dealer said the minder is set for 3,000 for the first oil change. They didn't mention the interval after that but I'd think 3k thereafter is a bit excessive depending on the quality oil I choose (like full synth). I'm surprised the truck's manual doesn't list milestone services but rather that the minder would just pop up. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't spell out service intervals. Is this what's expected?

john94si

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 1500 Limited 5.7+eTorque 2 weeks ago. My dealer said the minder is set for 3,000 for the first oil change. They didn't mention the interval after that but I'd think 3k thereafter is a bit excessive depending on the quality oil I choose (like full synth). I'm surprised the truck's manual doesn't list milestone services but rather that the minder would just pop up. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't spell out service intervals. Is this what's expected?
The dealer is wrong again.. the minder is default.. its about 10k

bazbob

Reaction score
Is there any way to check what the minder is set to?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run Amsoil and change every 5k.
I would say that's definitely excessive, I recommend getting an oil sample kit from your dealer and have the analysis done.
I had a BMW previously and knew that the 15k change interval was too long(was changed to 10k in later years). After switching to Amsoil and doing the analysis I was up to a 12k interval after the last change and likely more if I had kept the car and done another change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

speedracernc

Reaction score
Is the oil life monitor (OLM) intelligent like the on in the Corvette or is it just 10k miles and time to change? My corvette factors in type of driving, days between uses, length of drives etc. Once you hit one year it automatically will say 0% left regardless of mileage.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know some of them go based off of estimated amount fuel burned

Reverse

Reaction score
Is the oil life monitor (OLM) intelligent like the on in the Corvette or is it just 10k miles and time to change? My corvette factors in type of driving, days between uses, length of drives etc. Once you hit one year it automatically will say 0% left regardless of mileage.
It takes into account more than just miles traveled, like the Corvette from what I understand.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used these guys to test my oil several times, was very happy with the experience:

I used them with my BMW. I recently noticed that Amsoil has a lab that they've partnered with and it is slightly cheaper than Blackstone if you're a preferred customer. You can check prices directly https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services?zo=5199996

Atretes1

Reaction score
I plan on using full synthetic. My oil changes will be when my truck tells me or once a year. More than likely it will be once a year because I don't put many miles on the truck.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Daily drivers get the oil changed with dealership bulk oil every 5,000 miles or so. No plans to keep anything for long-term so I figure I'm covered warranty wise with my maintenence history.

eyeguy

Reaction score
If you are not keeping it long term and want coverage for oil change interval I would just go 8k. Think so long as your monitor is not at zero and dealership did the change you should be ok. If keeping past warranty then maybe more frequent or better oil...?

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I would say that's definitely excessive, I recommend getting an oil sample kit from your dealer and have the analysis done.
I had a BMW previously and knew that the 15k change interval was too long(was changed to 10k in later years). After switching to Amsoil and doing the analysis I was up to a 12k interval after the last change and likely more if I had kept the car and done another change.

Your unsolicited opinion may be that it's excessive, while my opinion is that it's precisely adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread