5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interval on new 2020 ram 1500 5.7

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Color" or combustion contaminants in the oil are more closely related to the amount of fuel burned than the number of miles driven. You're pushing a 5500lb truck around instead of a 3800lb car, big difference in load on the engine.
Most modern oil change indicators are driven by an algorithm that pretty much follows the amount of fuel used.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Actually a very good point that I didn't think of. Thank you!
Just for the record though...my charger was closer to 4300 lbs ;) the 2011 ones were a little heavier than todays lol.

Brad460

Reaction score
I am running the Rotella gas truck oil...changed it after the first 5000. This time I went 7500.

I am a fan of Rotella...run the heavy duty 15W40 in my skid steer, motocross bike, boat, lawn tractor, pressure washer, etc...Has always treated me well and is priced right..

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I still have a couple thousand to go but with this hot summer the idle pressure when hot is 25 psi, too low? I'd like try out the controversial 5w-30 or maybe a blend of 20 and 30 see if it quiets things down

saylor

Reaction score
./gets shovel and digs up old post . . .

so what oil do people do in the etorque 5.7?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I look online and have found deals from FCA for say 2 full syn oil changes for $100.

seeing as how a quart of oil can cost $7-$10 per quart add the filter and the hassle of changing it myself gor me that is worth it.

just be sure if you do it yourself that the oil meets specs.

most sites like mobile1, Amsoil. Etc will let you input make, model, year and engine and provide you with the correct product

Mark C

Reaction score
Assuming you spend $50 per oil change, you'll spend $1,000 more over 200K miles on wastefully changing the oil more often than needed for little to no benefit. Plus the lost time of doing it yourself or taking it somewhere.
Mobil 1 is not recommended by Ram. Why risk it?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe that the best and safest course of action is to ALWAYS follow the advice of totally anonymous people on internet forums. They are the number one experts in the field and will know best beyond a doubt.

Spokes

Reaction score
On my '22 5.7 non ET I did the first oil change @ 1000 miles and was easy on the throttle. After that, I did it @ 5k, 10k, 15k, & 20k so far. Pennzoil platinum full synthetic with OEM Mopar oil filter. LOF is a cheap preventative maintenance IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread