5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OIL CHANGE HACK!....No drips...not one!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed my oil yesterday and no drips, splashes or droplets anywhere. I used my American made Valvomax drain system and lifetime supply of American made Precision Engineered Oil Filter Changing Bags. Works like a charm every time.

1621111929687.jpeg

1621111809251.jpeg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Studies? Have yet to see anyone studying my garage floor or my drive way for oil residue otherwise they would find 100% of the time there are no drips, drops or even a splash. I could easily change my oil wearing a white tuxedo utilizing my patented Valvomax and Engineered Ziplock Gallon Baggie without so much as getting a spot on me. I've found the baggie methods works perfectly to catch the filter and any residual oil which is a hell of alot more than I can say for the dealer who made the undercarriage of my Ram look like I just had a west Texas oil well blowout - and then gave it back to me that way!

ddharris

Reaction score
Studies? Have yet to see anyone studying my garage floor or my drive way for oil residue otherwise they would find 100% of the time there are no drips, drops or even a splash. I could easily change my oil wearing a white tuxedo utilizing my patented Valvomax and Engineered Ziplock Gallon Baggie without so much as getting a spot on me. I've found the baggie methods works perfectly to catch the filter and any residual oil which is a hell of alot more than I can say for the dealer who made the undercarriage of my Ram look like I just had a west Texas oil well blowout - and then gave it back to me that way!
He rust proofed your undercarriage.

wvinson

Reaction score
For me, cold beverages, a nice cushioned chair, no oil filled ziplock bags to dispose of, and out in 15 minutes

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, cold beverages, a nice cushioned chair, no oil filled ziplock bags to dispose of, and out in 15 minutes
15 mins, that's great. Takes me longer than that to get to a dealership (none that I have full faith in), never mind the oil change and return trip.

Jako

Reaction score
Yeah 15 minutes is a bit of a exaggeration.
Shops around me have more than enough business. Wife had the oil changed, battery, air filter and cabin filter and was just shy of 2 hours for her "appointment" which was originally just the oil, but the battery decided to go to 7 volts (4 years old) before leaving and the Honda dealership decided to cash in on the filters. That "service" was $250 labor. This is the second Honda dealership that I am done with for the wife's car. 1st one tried to rip her off for brakes. Time wise the battery, air filter and cabin filter is quick as all are easily accessible. Travel time is an easy 20-30 minutes depending on time of day to and from the dealership. The Ram dealership put synthetic oil for my first oil change and conventional on my second oil change. That was enough for me to start doing my own. On my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT the local service station put 6 in my 5 quart engine. There are 6 cars and 3 motorcycles in the family so doing self service saves $$ and time. There are no "bargain price" motorcycle shops. Changing out brake fluid on the motorcycles I have are involved with the abs units and oil changes require removing body panels. Not much cost in material but a hit on labor than add the NYS/NYC tax of 8.875%, shop materials? and disposal fees. Material wise you don't even have to leave the house if you so desire with pre planning.
There are benefits to being a DIY but you do need the space, equipment, knowledge and desire. I've been less than satisfied a few times when the "professional service" was performed and I am very glad to be done with that aspect.

ddharris

Reaction score
Shops around me have more than enough business. Wife had the oil changed, battery, air filter and cabin filter and was just shy of 2 hours for her "appointment" which was originally just the oil, but the battery decided to go to 7 volts (4 years old) before leaving and the Honda dealership decided to cash in on the filters. That "service" was $250 labor. This is the second Honda dealership that I am done with for the wife's car. 1st one tried to rip her off for brakes. Time wise the battery, air filter and cabin filter is quick as all are easily accessible. Travel time is an easy 20-30 minutes depending on time of day to and from the dealership. The Ram dealership put synthetic oil for my first oil change and conventional on my second oil change. That was enough for me to start doing my own. On my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT the local service station put 6 in my 5 quart engine. There are 6 cars and 3 motorcycles in the family so doing self service saves $$ and time. There are no "bargain price" motorcycle shops. Changing out brake fluid on the motorcycles I have are involved with the abs units and oil changes require removing body panels. Not much cost in material but a hit on labor than add the NYS/NYC tax of 8.875%, shop materials? and disposal fees. Material wise you don't even have to leave the house if you so desire with pre planning.
There are benefits to being a DIY but you do need the space, equipment, knowledge and desire. I've been less than satisfied a few times when the "professional service" was performed and I am very glad to be done with that aspect.
All points certainly true. Everyone’s circumstances are different for sure. I’m good for the economy I guess. But only have 2 low mileage vehicles( do not require frequent oil changes) and one company vehicle. My dealership is 5 miles away and have been excellent. Plus I like walking the lot without the wife yelling at me thinking I’m going to buy the scatpack.

wvinson

Reaction score
No exaggerating here-- make an appointment and 15 minutes and it's done. Well known reputable local tire shop is quick, clean and cheap!

Jako

Reaction score
All points certainly true. Everyone’s circumstances are different for sure. I’m good for the economy I guess. But only have 2 low mileage vehicles( do not require frequent oil changes) and one company vehicle. My dealership is 5 miles away and have been excellent. Plus I like walking the lot without the wife yelling at me thinking I’m going to buy the scatpack.
I understand your position and I gave it a shot for my wife's car and the Ram.
My wife's 2017 Honda Civic was being done by the dealership or a BMW mechanic who does work on the side. The dealership did not charge for an oil change because they screwed up the appointment - that impressed me that they wanted a good reputation and my business so I did business again.
I wasn't looking for any "deals" on the oil change just a fair deal but they got greedy with the battery and for the air and cabin filter. The dealership and the mechanic had a good pay day and lost a customer. Always hate paying the NYS/NYC sales tax doesn't seem like it is well spent.

And on the Ram
I spent 2 hours walking in the morning cold while waiting for some TSBs to be done on the Ram. Covid didn't allow anyone to stay in the waiting room. I felt lucky to be able to use the bathroom. Salesmen that sold me the Ram were gone (covid) and the sales person didn't seem too happy or interested in conversation AND the lot was empty of Rams to check out.

But I'm sure that I will eventually revisit my position.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Hemi
Understood. Have a very good friend who has the 3.6L in his Ram and always bragged about his ten minute oil changes in his garage. I actually witnessed it once and was impressed. Filter location on the 3.6 saved a bunch of time.

Users who are viewing this thread