5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OIL CHANGE HACK!....No drips...not one!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok..did my first oil change on the Ram today...looked it over first underneath, and figured I would see what I could come up with to keep things clean. Did a mod to a little plastic scooper, and whaddya' know...worked like a charm. I mean, not one drop on the sway bar. oil 1.jpg

Attachments

• oil 2.jpg
    oil 2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 720
  • oil 3.jpg
    oil 3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 713
  • oil 5 (1).jpg
    oil 5 (1).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 738
  • oil 5 (2).jpg
    oil 5 (2).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 741

Paultg

Reaction score
now...the OIL FILTER is a whole different problem...what a joke! Will be working on that mofo next.
So I don’t have my Ram yet but this trick worked awesome on my Mazda Miata for the oil filter above the subframe. See pic.

Attachments

• 3305E6DE-D10B-4938-B54D-529A80315211.jpeg
    3305E6DE-D10B-4938-B54D-529A80315211.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 355

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
ok..did my first oil change on the Ram today...looked it over first underneath, and figured I would see what I could come up with to keep things clean. Did a mod to a little plastic scooper, and whaddya' know...worked like a charm. I mean, not one drop on the sway bar.
Well done!
Now. What about the oil filter? If your RAM is 4x4, I'd sure be interested how you solved that one, what with the steering gear and front axle blocking access.

Steve

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well done!
Now. What about the oil filter? If your RAM is 4x4, I'd sure be interested how you solved that one, what with the steering gear and front axle blocking access.

Steve
the Oil Filter...HA HA HA...ya...that F-in oil filter. I have NOT solved that yet, but I will! lol...I'll report back when I get that riddle figured out. would like to drop-kick the sorry "engineer" who gave us that..

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I don’t have my Ram yet but this trick worked awesome on my Mazda Miata for the oil filter above the subframe. See pic.
oooooooh..I like that idea. Pretty sure the RAM filter will fit a Solo. It's not very big filter. Will be trying that next time. Thank you!

Paultg

Reaction score
I can’t take credit, saw it online and my mind was blown. Had never thought of it before. I’ve also seen folks try a plastic bag too.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a quart size zip loc bag, but I still spill a little oil. But you guys got me thinking about trying a collapsible silicone cup, like these...

Just a matter of finding the right size. And the silicone will make it easier to grip the filter when spinning it off.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Will the filter fit in a solo cup like I posted above?

I think it would, it's a small filter, looks similar to that Miata filter in the picture. It's bigger than the one my SV650 motorcycle, but quite a bit smaller than the Motorcraft on my Ranger 4.0L & Mopar on my Jeep GC 4.0L. I think it's about 3" in diameter.

Paultg

Reaction score
I've been using a quart size zip loc bag, but I still spill a little oil. But you guys got me thinking about trying a collapsible silicone cup, like these...

Just a matter of finding the right size. And the silicone will make it easier to grip the filter when spinning it off.
Pretty neat. Only issue could be the tapered bottom. When I do the Miata there is a lot of oil that gets in the cup while it is loose and you wait for it to drain. Then there is the concern about splash when the filter finally releases and drops into the cup. The Miata filter didn’t drop all the way in, but I had to bend and distort the cup a bit to get the entire thing out of the car. I’ve only done this once to be honest. It worked well. I think a 2nd time will go better, especially if I don’t tip the cup over full of oil while taking a photo! :confused::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty neat. Only issue could be the tapered bottom. When I do the Miata there is a lot of oil that gets in the cup while it is loose and you wait for it to drain. Then there is the concern about splash when the filter finally releases and drops into the cup. The Miata filter didn’t drop all the way in, but I had to bend and distort the cup a bit to get the entire thing out of the car. I’ve only done this once to be honest. It worked well. I think a 2nd time will go better, especially if I don’t tip the cup over full of oil while taking a photo! :confused::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
I agree about the taper being an issue. There are lots of sizes and variations of these though, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a size that will work. I'll probably have to try several sizes until I find the one that works best. Or until I decide it won't work any better than the zip lock baggie :ROFLMAO:

magic280z

Reaction score
What about this? Don't have it but figured I'd see if something like the two above statements already existed.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What about this? Don't have it but figured I'd see if something like the two above statements already existed.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

That looks like a great idea, only issue I see is a lot of oil comes out of there when you unscrew it on the RAM. I use the two zip lock bag method. Two big bags, first once is used to contain most of the oil after I break the oil filter seal. I don't remove the filter yet, just sit there and get as much oil in the bag as possible.

Then I slide out the first bag and drain in the pan, slip on a fresh bag and finish unscrewing the filter, which catches whatever oil is left. Trying to do it with one bag is a pain.

magic280z

Reaction score
Then maybe a modified cup with a hose. Unfortunately I've never changed the oil on a ram. I've only heard stories. That is nuts it drains that much oil out. I've never had another car do that. I've changed my own oil on all previous vehicles. Usually the only oil leak is because the filter isn't mounted straight. I do miss my s-15 Jimmy. It was 4x4 and there wasn't room for the filter which forced them to relocate it. So it was in the front corner of the engine bay accessible from up top. My Frontier was mounted on a 45 so they installed a trough to catch the oil.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Then maybe a modified cup with a hose. Unfortunately I've never changed the oil on a ram. I've only heard stories. That is nuts it drains that much oil out. I've never had another car do that. I've changed my own oil on all previous vehicles. Usually the only oil leak is because the filter isn't mounted straight. I do miss my s-15 Jimmy. It was 4x4 and there wasn't room for the filter which forced them to relocate it. So it was in the front corner of the engine bay accessible from up top. My Frontier was mounted on a 45 so they installed a trough to catch the oil.

Most of my vehicles I can change without spilling a drop unless it's windy that day. Usually a small piece of cardboard under the drain pan just in case. This vehicle is a two tarp oil change, I cover my whole floor just in case, lol.

This RAM's oil filter setup and even drain bolt is clearly an afterthought over suspension component/steering placement. Which makes sense, those are critical components and oil changes are done over longer intervals and mostly by dealerships instead of your DIY owner. Just wished they worked a little hard to make it a little easier.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
oil filter.... 2 big size ziplock bags....first bag is loosen the oil filter and let the oil spills out but dont take out the filter...second bag is when the oil filter got taken out.... zero drips!!!!!!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now...the OIL FILTER is a whole different problem...what a joke! Will be working on that mofo next.
In the past I have used a plastic shopping bag to drape over the steering rack when removing the oil filter.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034505 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread