5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OIL CHANGE HACK!....No drips...not one!

zlman

Reaction score
My first change I added a Fumoto valve, future changes and mess taken care of. Oil filter, I had read the horror stories so I knew what to expect and if I hadn't, I would have thought I was doing something wrong.
I might try the baggie trick next but it sounds like a pain too, I guess that's why floor dry was invented. I read all of these threads hoping someone finds the solution.

Rockitman2000

Reaction score
My first change I added a Fumoto valve, future changes and mess taken care of. Oil filter, I had read the horror stories so I knew what to expect and if I hadn't, I would have thought I was doing something wrong.
I might try the baggie trick next but it sounds like a pain too, I guess that's why floor dry was invented. I read all of these threads hoping someone finds the solution.

Which one did you get. When I checked their page the latest Ram they offered was 2017?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed mine a few days ago for the second time. Fumoto F106SX valve and added tubing to clear the sway bar, installed at the time of first oil change. For the filter, I used a Tekton 5866 filter wrench to loosen it enough that it can then be turned by hand, but not so much it will leak any oil. Then use a small funnel that has a tab on one side that I wedge between the two hard lines that run right there to securely hold the funnel. The tab is offset to the funnel outlet a bit and has a hose attached. I placed the pan under the passenger side lower control arm, ran hose to drape over the control arm over the pan. Loosen the filter by hand and let it leak/drip into funnel and into pan via the hose. Continue to loosen until it comes off and it sets in the funnel. Allow it to drain some, then with left hand hold the bottom of the funnel and twist the tab portion from between the hard lines and lower it while holding the hose in U shape (pointing up) and lower it down and dump into pan. I have to go slow, but I managed a complete oil and filter change without 1 drop hitting the concrete. I'll take some pictures of the set up later and add them to the post.
Here is the filter wrench that works best.
Tekton 5866.jpg

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you reset the oil life on the dash if you DIY oil change?
You can do it two ways, turn the ignition to run (do not start) and press the gas pedal to the floor three times then turn ignition off or go to the cluster button and scroll to the system monitoring menu and tab over with the right arrow button until you get to oil lif percentage and press and hold ok until reset.

CaptLiteBeerd

Reaction score
You can do it two ways, turn the ignition to run (do not start) and press the gas pedal to the floor three times then turn ignition off or go to the cluster button and scroll to the system monitoring menu and tab over with the right arrow button until you get to oil lif percentage and press and hold ok until reset.
Ah thanks i didn't know it could be reset through that screen!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Femco drain that I got works fantastic without a drop spilled. The filter is a HUGE pain in the buttocks. I haven't been able to get it out yet even with the plastic bag without spilling some. I can never get it out of that tight space without tipping it on its side so I am not sure if the cup or the gripper cup would work.

klotz50

Reaction score
What about this? Don't have it but figured I'd see if something like the two above statements already existed.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG
check out OILUDDER

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oil changes are so cheap, and they clean up the mess!

Not always. I've seen enough from lower level oil change jockeys at dealerships to do it myself. Most of the time they miss something, overfill the oil, etc.

If it wasn't FCA dealerships, I would consider it, but FCA dealerships are the lowest rated of all dealership networks, specifically when it comes to service.

Example of what I mean is a member here who found out they didn't change his oil filter on his first oil change! He only figured it out after doing his own oil change on his 2nd one. No dealership tech is going to take the time and care I will on my own truck.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, the designer responsible for the filter location on the 5.7 should be publicly flogged while the designer of the filter location of the Pentastar 3.6 looks on as he is being massaged and fed grapes by a harem.

The 3.6 in my Jeep with a topside easy access filter is the best thing since sliced bread. Why are not all engines made with this in mind? Guess that guy wasn't getting his kickback from Jiffy Lube like the rest of them.

ddharris

Reaction score
No drips for me at all. Plus I get free coffee at the dealership.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I agree with the coupons an oil change is cheap but it does require the dreaded trip to the dealer and for each of mine they have over filled the oil each time and o looked and yes the filter (I have the 4x4) is a b*tch but I am still going to do it myself.

I watched a segment of Engine Masters and they put an engine on the Dyno and used various amounts of oil and they showed that any more than just above the fill level actually hurts HP and contributes to more in the catch can (if you have one)

Users who are viewing this thread