5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very confused what that website is.
Is it essentially a company that commits fraud on your behalf by sending incorrect information to the registry in a different state?
no. some states are open registration you dont need to be a resident nor the vehicle ever needs to be there.
and you only need to be in one of those states for 24 hours to be a resident for that state.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just don't get caught. Only people legally allowed to register out of state are full time college students, or active duty military. I could easily see Cali fining you for back taxes if ever caught
yeah ill be enjoying my M when summer comes as my daily.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a $65K+ truck. What’s the big deal spending $200 on a known quality catch can. Took <10 minutes to install the Mishimoto. I can assure you there is not a higher quality product. Talk to your servicing dealer if you have any concerns. My service manager put in writing via email that the catch can would create no warranty issues.
Same reason you tried to get the best price you could for your truck when you bought it, and price shop for best price on most parts. Don't know many people who just buy from the first place they find without looking around for a better deal

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
no. some states are open registration you dont need to be a resident nor the vehicle ever needs to be there.
and you only need to be in one of those states for 24 hours to be a resident for that state.
It's not so much the state you register it in, but if you are a resident of Cali, but your vehicle is registered out of state, that's not legal. Most states have a 30-90 day grace period to switch your registration to your current address. This even goes for if you move to a different address within the state

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not so much the state you register it in, but if you are a resident of Cali, but your vehicle is registered out of state, that's not legal. Most states have a 30-90 day grace period to switch your registration to your current address. This even goes for if you move to a different address within the state
oh i know but im moving all of my **** out anyways.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Installed my Mishimoto catch can today - piece of cake. Hardest part was putting the plastic engine cover back on (lol). Very happy with the design - especially the bracket.

U

User_119824

As far as the catch can goes, it is total opinion. Basically the filter in the can catches any oil/contaminants that come through the PCV system that would normally be carried through the intake. One side says that stuff gunks up the intake valves over time, the other says the system is engineered to burn it off. As an engine builder/exotic and performance car dealership owner, I can tell you that unless you were a Stellantis engineer who designed the system, you don't know the truth on that either way. Period. Speculation is fun but it isn't fact. I don't personally believe they are needed, but I run one just because I don't mind the extra maintenance.

As for the "I register my stuff in a state I don't live in", that's great and good on you. It's also illegal and a tax loophole that will one day close around your neck and you'll be telling yourself it wasn't worth it. But please don't believe me or take my word for it. Some lessons are best learned the hard way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many miles were on these? What type of oil was used? What type of fuel? What were the conditions the truck was in? How was it driven? How was it maintained?

No offense but there are a lot more variables to be figured out than just taking a photo and saying "Look, this is what it is."
It's common knowledge in the Hemi community. It's been that way since 2003 when they first used the 5.7 in the 1500s. If you don't have a catch can, any 5.7 with more than 20k miles is going to look like that. Mostpeoole will never take the throttle body off to see that though

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What type of oil was used? What type of fuel?
I'll bite. What kind of oil and fuel does it take to not have it go back through your air intake and gunk up your throttle body, which was designed for air not fuel or gas.
I think your questions should be "did you use fuel or oil or did you run it dry fuelless?"

MO Rebel

Reaction score
How many miles were on these? What type of oil was used? What type of fuel? What were the conditions the truck was in? How was it driven? How was it maintained?

No offense but there are a lot more variables to be figured out than just taking a photo and saying "Look, this is what it is."
As HSKR said, pretty common with the 5.7. It’s not hard to find info on this. I’ve seen how much I’ve caught in 6K miles. With port injection, it’s not as big an issue for the valves, but no fuel hits the throttle body to wash it.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyone has a ramair intake and installed a Mishimoto, they seem to bolt to the upper corner of the rad , was it much longer to install it

i can get a all black new mishimoto for about 250$ cad thats about 180$ us

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
anyone has a ramair intake and installed a Mishimoto, they seem to bolt to the upper corner of the rad , was it much longer to install it

i can get a all black new mishimoto for about 250$ cad thats about 180$ us
The Mishimoto is not compatible with the RamAir or Vararam. Get one of the cheaper options that work just as good and don't route hoses longer than needed. The one I linked in Amazon is a great choice, and 1/4 of the price.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mishimoto is not compatible with the RamAir or Vararam. Get one of the cheaper options that work just as good and don't route hoses longer than needed. The one I linked in Amazon is a great choice, and 1/4 of the price.
thanks, does it inclued everything needed for install(direct fit)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's common knowledge in the Hemi community. It's been that way since 2003 when they first used the 5.7 in the 1500s. If you don't have a catch can, any 5.7 with more than 20k miles is going to look like that. Mostpeoole will never take the throttle body off to see that though

I'm not disputing that the throttle body will get gunked up without a catch can, but it's not going to look like that in 20k miles. The pic that MO Rebel posted is from a 2006 Chrysler 300 with 140k miles.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just ordered it, thanks again, it looks nice and has a purge valve too and way less expensive too

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks, does it inclued everything needed for install(direct fit)
I'd say if anything, you may want to get better vacuum hoses, but yes, has everything to be a direct fit. Hoses will be cut to fit

Users who are viewing this thread