5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the reasoning. I'm all about saving money on parts without sacrificing quality. And that's my stance on these. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Just as much as you see my comments as "shaming" most of the responses as to "why" those who bought the more expensive options come off as trying to justify their choice, as opposed to supporting it.
Nothing wrong with not understanding another person's reasoning. Just like there's nothing wrong with saving money. And as long as no one else is affected by them, there's certainly no reason to disparage the motivations of other people.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been very close to purchasing an oil catch can only to back down several times
I have seen some websites mentioned these are not legal In California or something to that - of course its not like the truck will be inspected but I also see a problem or the potential to get into an argument or issue with the dealer, then there is this video I recently came across. While I do simple stuff like level kits, oil changes etc, I am no mechanic but the explanation made sense to me. For those with the knowledge, feedback would be appreciated. Or does this not apply to our trucks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been very close to purchasing an oil catch can only to back down several times
I have seen some websites mentioned these are not legal In California or something to that - of course its not like the truck will be inspected but I also see a problem or the potential to get into an argument or issue with the dealer, then there is this video I recently came across. While I do simple stuff like level kits, oil changes etc, I am no mechanic but the explanation made sense to me. For those with the knowledge, feedback would be appreciated. Or does this not apply to our trucks.
Every modification is illegal in Cali. Might be flagged by smog Nazis during smog check, but I doubt dealer would care. I will check out the video later

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every modification is illegal in Cali. Might be flagged by smog Nazis during smog check, but I doubt dealer would care. I will check out the video later
lol, was turn away once for a smog check on a previous vehicle because I Had forgotten to attach the carb sticker for a CA legal k&n cold air intake, luckily I had kept the instructions and with them the sticker

davidn0021

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately the catch can isn't technically CARB certified so therefore you will fail smog inspection if they see it. My plan is to remove it when I go in for the inspection and reinstall after I pass. I leave the can installed for oil changes and haven't had my local dealer say anything about it the 3 times they've changed the truck's oil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol, was turn away once for a smog check on a previous vehicle because I Had forgotten to attach the carb sticker for a CA legal k&n cold air intake, luckily I had kept the instructions and with them the sticker
So watched video. Whoever made that doesn't understand how the PCV system works. You actually want the flow to "slow down" so the vapors have time to condensate and collect inside the can. Engine vacuum doesn't care about flow. As long as your engine is creating vacuums it will work just fine. Also, comparing it to an oil/water separator from an air compressorz while technically they operate the same, there isn't as much restriction in the line

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is off Edmunds site,

"Damage caused by modifications or aftermarket parts: This aspect of warranty coverage is contentious for many customers. An aftermarket modification can be anything from a lift kit for a truck to a cheap off-brand replacement part. While some dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty. However, if that part led to something breaking on the vehicle, the dealership can deny your warranty claim. In these scenarios, the burden of proof is on the dealership to prove the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure."

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
regarding commiefailnia smog...
just register your vehicle in another state. check out dirtlegal OR even do a more extended research on google. just make sure you don't have karens as neighbors or don't let the same cops see you too often lol

davidn0021

Reaction score
just register your vehicle in another state. check out dirtlegal OR even do a more extended research on google. just make sure you don't have karens as neighbors or don't let the same cops see you too often lol
Great idea. But how would you register in another state if you don’t have a residence or an address in that state?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not as easy as it sounds. You would need to establish residency in another state to register there. That was one of the nice things about my time in Cali. I was active military and my vehicles stayed registered in Nebraska. Wasn't **** cops could do to me about performance modifications, or window tint.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great idea. But how would you register in another state if you don’t have a residence or an address in that state?

Not as easy as it sounds. You would need to establish residency in another state to register there. That was one of the nice things about my time in Cali. I was active military and my vehicles stayed registered in Nebraska. Wasn't **** cops could do to me about performance modifications, or window tint.
all i can say is look up how full timers do it.
or have dirtlegal do it for you if you don't want to do the reading and are tired of paying all the fees they collect "to fix roads" with no observable results.

it's not a secret per say, but still the less people know about it the better.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Only people benefitting from catch cans are the people selling them.

I did not have one on my first year Ford F-150 Ecobeast and never had any engine issues after over 100,000 miles.

If it was so important that the engine needed it the engineers would have designed it onto the build. Only really needed if you are consistantly running the engine at high RPM's such as racing applications.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Plenty of YouTube vids out there of engine tear downs with and without them.

A lot of vehicles do have them they generally just circulate and drain back into the oil pan.

The whole “if it was needed the manufacture would add one” mentality never takes into consideration the manufacture doesn’t always have the consumer in mind, it’s usually the bottom dollar.

All they need is for the engine to last till the warranty is up.

Adding a catch can keeps the top end clean, and helps the engine run at its peak for longer without carbon build up.

You can buy a cheap $30 from china, or a $250 one from the states. Ether way it’s better than not having one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Only people benefitting from catch cans are the people selling them.

I did not have one on my first year Ford F-150 Ecobeast and never had any engine issues after over 100,000 miles.

If it was so important that the engine needed it the engineers would have designed it onto the build. Only really needed if you are consistantly running the engine at high RPM's such as racing applications.
That's just an incorrect statement. Also 100k miles is not a lot.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
all i can say is look up how full timers do it.
or have dirtlegal do it for you if you don't want to do the reading and are tired of paying all the fees they collect "to fix roads" with no observable results.

it's not a secret per say, but still the less people know about it the better.
Just don't get caught. Only people legally allowed to register out of state are full time college students, or active duty military. I could easily see Cali fining you for back taxes if ever caught

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just don't get caught. Only people legally allowed to register out of state are full time college students, or active duty military. I could easily see Cali fining you for back taxes if ever caught
I am very confused what that website is.
Is it essentially a company that commits fraud on your behalf by sending incorrect information to the registry in a different state?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am very confused what that website is.
Is it essentially a company that commits fraud on your behalf by sending incorrect information to the registry in a different state?
Only way it would work.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So watched video. Whoever made that doesn't understand how the PCV system works. You actually want the flow to "slow down" so the vapors have time to condensate and collect inside the can. Engine vacuum doesn't care about flow. As long as your engine is creating vacuums it will work just fine. Also, comparing it to an oil/water separator from an air compressorz while technically they operate the same, there isn't as much restriction in the line
Thanks for the feedback, Although there are a ton of people that don't run a catch can I can see a benefic to it but that comparison, and the test with the paper cone to finalized his opinion about a catch can being more negative than positive to the engine got me second guessing. I have also seen not only in this video, comments to avoid a bronze filter although the comment is always general and not vehicle specific or even if the comment is for a gas or diesel engine. Something about the bronze being too restrictive

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Although there are a ton of people that don't run a catch can I can see a benefic to it but that comparison, and the test with the paper cone to finalized his opinion about a catch can being more negative than positive to the engine got me second guessing. I have also seen not only in this video, comments to avoid a bronze filter although the comment is always general and not vehicle specific or even if the comment is for a gas or diesel engine. Something about the bronze being too restrictive
The paper cone thing doesn't apply to our engines. The one he is using is a single valve cover and doesn't utilize a complete PCV system like our engines do with a PCV valve on intake manifold vacuum on one valve cover, and a fresh air intake on the other. Basically anything in that video isn't comparable to our engines with what he is discussing

MO Rebel

Reaction score
It’s a $65K+ truck. What’s the big deal spending $200 on a known quality catch can. Took <10 minutes to install the Mishimoto. I can assure you there is not a higher quality product. Talk to your servicing dealer if you have any concerns. My service manager put in writing via email that the catch can would create no warranty issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/