5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil analysis report.

LX Sport

Reaction score
Did my first oil change recently at 2.3k. Had one weekend of towing my enclosed trailer/race car about 200mi. But here is my first Blackstone report.

22 RAM 1500-2205021.jpg

tom318

Reaction score
Report for 52.5k Miles. First Round using Quaker State. More highway and maybe 1200 miles towing. Little concerning on the iron, aluminum and oil viscosity. I guess we will see how things progress and if I ever have a failure (hopefully never).....Ill keep racking up the miles.
IMG_3604.jpg

Reactions: c3k

JGRaider

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I have sent my sample of QS Ultimate Durability to Oil Analyzers and will post it up when I get it back, which should be in the next week or so. Mine is a 10k interval with minimal towing, just daily hwy/city use.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting! I thought I was the only one using the T6 oil, I’m in the same boat as you, have been running T6 since the second oil change, I also did like to hear that your truck has more miles than my truck. My truck has 28,500 miles (46,000 km) and no mechanical issues, purrs like a kitten too, my mpg is the same, well mine is actually 31 mpg highway Canadian (UK) gallon but would be almost the same if I were to use the slightly smaller American gallon.

The difference between you and I is that this is my first diesel. I have absolutely no regrets getting the diesel, I was fortunate that diesel up here in northern Ontario Canada was cheaper than gas for almost 2 years until now.
Did you ever get your T6 oil analyzed?

tom318

Reaction score
I as well would like to see some data from T6. That oil is much easier to come by and so far the stats I'm seeing on my oil don't seem to great in terms of protecting the engine. Though I'm not an expert and when I see Iron at 41 I'm just relying on what they tell me. Another interesting piece of info is when I change my oil I usually drive around the block (2-3miles) to warm the oil just a bit. Then the truck sits for a few min as I get my sh** together and get under the truck. I fill the sample container 1st, I don't even drain a single drop before filling the container. I have a valve on my oil pan so I use that to slowly fill the bottle. I wonder if that skews any data as some/more particles settle to the bottom of the pan? Not sure if I should continue this technique as its what I always do or try draining some first then filling the sample bottle?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I as well would like to see some data from T6. That oil is much easier to come by and so far the stats I'm seeing on my oil don't seem to great in terms of protecting the engine. Though I'm not an expert and when I see Iron at 41 I'm just relying on what they tell me. Another interesting piece of info is when I change my oil I usually drive around the block (2-3miles) to warm the oil just a bit. Then the truck sits for a few min as I get my sh** together and get under the truck. I fill the sample container 1st, I don't even drain a single drop before filling the container. I have a valve on my oil pan so I use that to slowly fill the bottle. I wonder if that skews any data as some/more particles settle to the bottom of the pan? Not sure if I should continue this technique as its what I always do or try draining some first then filling the sample bottle?
I’ve never dealt with oil analysis, so I imagine you could call Blackstone and get their recommendation. I’m really curious about T6 since it’s so readily available and says it is low ash and “for modern DPF systems”. If I were an oil manufacturer that wasn’t trying to get a contract with an OEM, I can’t imagine that I would want to spend the money to get a MS – 12991 approval for a very small subset of vehicles on the road.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always pulled my sample mid drain, it’s a bit messy but I use a secondary clean container with a larger opening to catch the oil. I think I remember reading that blackstone labs recommends doing it this way.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, never did. Oil analysis should never be taken from the drain, the sample will be contaminated even if you get the last ounce out of the pan, there will be deposits from the bottom of the pan in the sample.
In the mine where I worked, I’m retired now, we had to install special oil draw ports on engines, transmissions, differentials and gearboxes, and get trained by the oil analysis company to take oil sample with special tools.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To update this, I put T6 and stiction eliminator in this oil change. So in ~2 months, I’ll be getting a Blackstone report for T6. I’ll also be adding the TBN and soot testing.

tom318

Reaction score
To update this, I put T6 and stiction eliminator in this oil change. So in ~2 months, I’ll be getting a Blackstone report for T6. I’ll also be adding the TBN and soot testing.
Curious to see these results. What mileage will this be at? I’ll be doing my 60k oil change in a month or so and this time I’ll take the sample mid drain to see how the results will differ if at all.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to see these results. What mileage will this be at? I’ll be doing my 60k oil change in a month or so and this time I’ll take the sample mid drain to see how the results will differ if at all.
I said this before, the oil sample taken from a drain plug will always be contaminated, if an oil analysis company allows samples taken from a drain plug, they are wasting your money.

Research Fluidlife.com, I took a few screen shots from their website to show you what we had to install on all the engines of surface and underground equipment, gearboxes, transmissions, differentials and many different types of hydraulic systems throughout the mine, I am now retired but worked there for almost 35 years.

Fluidlife.com might only deal with industrial companies.

Attachments

• 7DE9FF79-90DF-4760-8969-B7AD1EF6D188.png
    7DE9FF79-90DF-4760-8969-B7AD1EF6D188.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2D740381-867A-4EDF-A8A1-8E968B9F6AEB.png
    2D740381-867A-4EDF-A8A1-8E968B9F6AEB.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 28

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mileage at this recent oil change was 16,001, and I’ll change it right at 21,000. I won’t have much idle time at all, so I will also pull another sample in the middle of winter when I idle for 10mins on cold mornings.
I said this before, the oil sample taken from a drain plug will always be contaminated, if an oil analysis company allows samples taken from a drain plug, they are wasting your money.

Research Fluidlife.com, I took a few screen shots from their website to show you what we had to install on all the engines of surface and underground equipment, gearboxes, transmissions, differentials and many different types of hydraulic systems throughout the mine, I am now retired but worked there for almost 35 years.

Fluidlife.com might only deal with industrial companies.
How is that any different from blackstone’s oil sampling pump? Also, they give options on how to sample different ways. I’m genuinely curious why you think it would matter. To that effect, how would sampling from a drain plug by draining the entirety of the oil pan into a clean container and letting it rest before pulling 3 or so ounces be any different? We’re dealing with synthetic oil, so it’s not going to have the same characteristics as conventional. (Unless there’s something I’m missing)

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mileage at this recent oil change was 16,001, and I’ll change it right at 21,000. I won’t have much idle time at all, so I will also pull another sample in the middle of winter when I idle for 10mins on cold mornings.

How is that any different from blackstone’s oil sampling pump? Also, they give options on how to sample different ways. I’m genuinely curious why you think it would matter. To that effect, how would sampling from a drain plug by draining the entirety of the oil pan into a clean container and letting it rest before pulling 3 or so ounces be any different? We’re dealing with synthetic oil, so it’s not going to have the same characteristics as conventional. (Unless there’s something I’m missing)
Using a sampling pump is a very good idea, however depending on where you pull the sample from, for instance if you let the (pump) tube reach the bottom of the pan, it might suck contamination, or pushing the (pump) tube down the dipstick, it might pickup contaminants that settles in the bends of the tube, it would be important to discard the first fill bottle.

In the mining industry we were trained to take live oil samples (with equipment running) if possible or take the sample as soon as the piece of equipment was shut down for best results.
You have to realize the value of the equipment in the industry, for example a single scoop tram is worth more than a million dollars, that is why we were not allowed to take any samples from any drain plugs, the risk of contamination is too great. The mine was so strict that all new oils (diesel engine oil, gear oil, hydraulic oil, conventional and synthetic) were filtered before adding to any piece of industrial equipment, their reason was to eliminate the risk of it being contaminated from the start, most of us tradesmen found that extreme.

The mine did not require any oil analysis for non industrial highway licensed vehicles, like cars or pickups. The underground diesel pickups were used until the body would give out, from damage or simply rusting out, the engines were not a problem, Ford, Chev/GM,Toyota or Ram.

I’m not sure what’s your point about the characteristics difference between conventional and synthetic oils, if your vehicle requires synthetic oil that’s what you will be sending as a sample.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Using a sampling pump is a very good idea, however depending on where you pull the sample from, for instance if you let the (pump) tube reach the bottom of the pan, it might suck contamination, or pushing the (pump) tube down the dipstick, it might pickup contaminants that settles in the bends of the tube, it would be important to discard the first fill bottle.

In the mining industry we were trained to take live oil samples (with equipment running) if possible or take the sample as soon as the piece of equipment was shut down for best results.
You have to realize the value of the equipment in the industry, for example a single scoop tram is worth more than a million dollars, that is why we were not allowed to take any samples from any drain plugs, the risk of contamination is too great. The mine was so strict that all new oils (diesel engine oil, gear oil, hydraulic oil, conventional and synthetic) were filtered before adding to any piece of industrial equipment, their reason was to eliminate the risk of it being contaminated from the start, most of us tradesmen found that extreme.

The mine did not require any oil analysis for non industrial highway licensed vehicles, like cars or pickups. The underground diesel pickups were used until the body would give out, from damage or simply rusting out, the engines were not a problem, Ford, Chev/GM,Toyota or Ram.

I’m not sure what’s your point about the characteristics difference between conventional and synthetic oils, if your vehicle requires synthetic oil that’s what you will be sending as a sample.
Thanks for the explanation. My mention of the make-ups of oils was because I didn’t know what types of oils you use in the mining industry, just what our trucks are spec’d for. The synthetic oils don’t break down as easily, are less prone to oxidation or acidification, are more chemically stable, etc. It makes sense that since the deposits from synthetic oil essentially get reabsorbed by the hot oil, that there would be less non-metallic contaminates in the bottom of the pan (and the rest of the engine) if the oil were heated before draining. That being said, my knowledge of that comes from the early 2000’s when I went to a Castrol drag race team mechanic’s school. Things could’ve evolved with synthetics.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I will begin performing these & posting as well. I don’t have an Eco Diesel, just the standard 5.7, but I do drive about 60k per year. Just had my 6th oil change since April - I always do oil change/tire rotates every 5k.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I will begin performing these & posting as well. I don’t have an Eco Diesel, just the standard 5.7, but I do drive about 60k per year. Just had my 6th oil change since April - I always do oil change/tire rotates every 5k.

I would like to see that.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Hey guys just did an oil analysis on my EcoDiesel. Aluminum came up a bit high. Motor has 35,000 miles on it and running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 since it was new. Let me know what y’all think. Change the oil every 5k miles. D8D71EA8-AE6D-41F5-8288-D6D6257D2004.jpeg

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys just did an oil analysis on my EcoDiesel. Aluminum came up a bit high. Motor has 35,000 miles on it and running Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 since it was new. Let me know what y’all think. Change the oil every 5k miles. View attachment 147393
Every sample I’ve sent in had higher than normal aluminum, it’s either a normal thing for these motors or blackstone needs to retest their pennzoil euro oil.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be sending off a T6 (+ stiction eliminator) sample next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread