5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil analysis report.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I just received the report from an oil sample I sent in a couple of weeks ago. The comment regarding potassium is interesting as I did require some coolant to top of the reservoir on my last oil change. Hopefully it’s just a coincidence tho.
Is this the “standard oil analysis”

mrfreon

Reaction score
Yep, return shipping is free in the USA. I was told I could simply place the sample in my mailbox.... I plan to do just that in a couple of weeks when I perform oil change #2 at 18,000 miles.
Here's the analysis from my second oil change...

Attachments

• oil change 2.jpg
    oil change 2.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 103

AAR#2

Reaction score
Thanks, our numbers aren’t to different even tho I only went 10000km. Looks like I could go much further between changes if needed.
My apologies if this is viewed as a nonsensical question, but I’m curious what the goal is of doing and oil analysis for oil changed?
In my mind if you were trying to extend oil life you would install a Fumoto valve and send an oil sample in for analysis at some mileage or harsh use interval. Then change it based on degrading results. If you simply change the oil at 10k or less, as many have stated, it seems all that’s occurring is an added oil analysis fee on top of the oil change. Don’t get me wrong, the results may be interesting but unsure what purpose they are serving and why so many feel the need to perform them.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies if this is viewed as a nonsensical question, but I’m curious what the goal is of doing and oil analysis for oil changed?
In my mind if you were trying to extend oil life you would install a Fumoto valve and send an oil sample in for analysis at some mileage or harsh use interval. Then change it based on degrading results. If you simply change the oil at 10k or less, as many have stated, it seems all that’s occurring is an added oil analysis fee on top of the oil change. Don’t get me wrong, the results may be interesting but unsure what purpose they are serving and why so many feel the need to perform them.
Main reason for me doing the test is to make sure the dealer is using the proper pennzoil euro spec oil and not rotella oil like some have been using. Nothing wrong with rotella oil, but If the engineers say use the pennzoil I’d like it to be.

The test can also give you a good idea of how your engine is doing internally and if you might be having any issues like coolant or fuel dilution. It’s a good peace of mind thing I guess really.

The TBN test will let you know if the oil you are using is actually able to withstand the abuse it’s put through during the time it was installed, or if you should change the oil more often.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
It's not nonsensical at all. Yes, you could pull a sample and decide if you could extend the oil interval, but I am not going to extend the interval beyond probably 7500 miles myself. The analysis post-oil change confirms the oil is holding up to the interval chosen, and I am looking to confirm all the wear metals are within tolerance, and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Excessive wear metals, antifreeze, or other contaminants can forwarn an upcoming problem. If you know something is going wrong it might be time to trade in the truck or plan for an expensive repair bill. It is just informative in nature.

AAR#2

Reaction score
. . . If you know something is going wrong it might be time to trade in the truck or plan for an expensive repair bill.
Point noted on that one, the truck being new I suppose I just didn’t think about an issue like that surfacing, and with the 100k warranty I suppose the repair would be on them. I may just do one now to be sure all is as it should be

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I will be looking to put 300K plus on this truck.

Codybenz

Reaction score
Just some general knowledge for you guys. The “european” formula oils are nothing more than low SPAsh,SAPS/Ash oil formulas. (They all mean the same thing) Basically means the oil is made with less sulphated ash, phosphorus, and sulphur than traditional oils. This produces less ash and crud in the exhaust system so it doesn’t contribute to clogging dpf, scr, traditional cats, etc. It is called European formula because it was developed by a certain European company that I happen to work for, and first appeared in their diesel vehicles. We are also the ones that gave the world DEF and scr. You can thank us later.

anycase for warranty purposes you can’t use any oils not approved. Outside of that if it’s a synthetic oil, the correct weight, and low spash or “European” formula, it will be ok to run in your diesel. Comes down to personal preference at this point.

tom318

Reaction score
Oil analysis from my second oil change. I typically change when my indicator should 20-25% left.

Attachments

• 304DDB95-A60C-4392-AA4A-AE188CA6E866.jpeg
    304DDB95-A60C-4392-AA4A-AE188CA6E866.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 71

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil analysis from my second oil change. I typically change when my indicator should 20-25% left.
I mentioned this before, I am using the shell rotella T6, and I’m not the only one because many dealerships are using it for all their customers heavy duty and light duty diesel trucks.
I really do appreciate all you guys posting your oil analysis results for the Pennzoil Euro, they all look very similar, even the comments look generic, copy paste. You mentioned that you change oil at around 25% oil life remaining, it makes me wonder, what would the results show if you had gone the full oil life cycle. It would be interesting to see oil analysis results for the Shell Rotella T6.

tom318

Reaction score
I mentioned this before, I am using the shell rotella T6, and I’m not the only one because many dealerships are using it for all their customers heavy duty and light duty diesel trucks.
I really do appreciate all you guys posting your oil analysis results for the Pennzoil Euro, they all look very similar, even the comments look generic, copy paste. You mentioned that you change oil at around 25% oil life remaining, it makes me wonder, what would the results show if you had gone the full oil life cycle. It would be interesting to see oil analysis results for the Shell Rotella T6.
I’ll most likely continue to do these tests since the cost is relatively low and it seems to be a nice record to have. I plan to stick to the same oil for as long as I can continue to find it unless there is a good reason to not use it. I agree it would be interesting to compare different oils. My hesitation on the T6 oil even though dealers use it, it technically doesn’t meet the Chrysler spec and if anything does go wrong I don’t want that thrown back at me. I was hoping this test would shed some light on how much oil life was left on this oil but nothing really specifies that on their test. I was hoping in their notes they would of confirmed or have more detail on how much oil life was left. But I guess that’s hard to do from their end.

JGRaider

Reaction score
Once again, IMHO, if doing a used oil analysis you need to include TBN testing. I don't see the point in doing one without it.

tom318

Reaction score
Once again, IMHO, if doing a used oil analysis you need to include TBN testing. I don't see the point in doing one without it.
After reading into the TBN in more detail, I couldn't agree more. Next time! That would have given me the answer I was basically looking for........That's what I get for rushing things sometimes.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll most likely continue to do these tests since the cost is relatively low and it seems to be a nice record to have. I plan to stick to the same oil for as long as I can continue to find it unless there is a good reason to not use it. I agree it would be interesting to compare different oils. My hesitation on the T6 oil even though dealers use it, it technically doesn’t meet the Chrysler spec and if anything does go wrong I don’t want that thrown back at me. I was hoping this test would shed some light on how much oil life was left on this oil but nothing really specifies that on their test. I was hoping in their notes they would of confirmed or have more detail on how much oil life was left. But I guess that’s hard to do from their end.
Thank you for the reply, please keep posting your results, hopefully the metal numbers go down like they predict.

Users who are viewing this thread