5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil analysis report.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also plan on sending samples for the foreseeable future as well as sending virgin samples of rotella T6 and pennzoil platinum euro with my next sample in a month or two.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also plan on sending samples for the foreseeable future as well as sending virgin samples of rotella T6 and pennzoil platinum euro with my next sample in a month or two.
You are sending virgin oil samples, at $30 each, what do you expect them to find? I really don’t think they can tell the difference between both oils, appart from the viscosity levels, flashpoint... the numbers should be very close. Maybe you could call the lab and ask for their opinion about testing new oils, it might save you some money.

You have been using the oil that is recommended by the manufacturer and it would be pointless to switch oils now, the metal numbers will be going down, no matter which oil you put in you truck.

Thank you for posting your results and please keep doing so in the future.

If I had sent my oil samples from the beginning and using the Shell Rotella T6, the metal numbers should be very close to your results, however, we live in different places, I’m 8 hours north, the weather is colder, my driving might be very different than yours, there are no divided highways here, I park in a garage every night, my truck is plugged in at work in the winter, I sometimes tow heavy trailers, so many different variables, so I’m sure the oil analysis would be different, but is it the oil? or is it the driving habits/environment.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are sending virgin oil samples, at $30 each, what do you expect them to find? I really don’t think they can tell the difference between both oils, appart from the viscosity levels, flashpoint... the numbers should be very close. Maybe you could call the lab and ask for their opinion about testing new oils, it might save you some money.

You have been using the oil that is recommended by the manufacturer and it would be pointless to switch oils now, the metal numbers will be going down, no matter which oil you put in you truck.

Thank you for posting your results and please keep doing so in the future.

If I had sent my oil samples from the beginning and using the Shell Rotella T6, the metal numbers should be very close to your results, however, we live in different places, I’m 8 hours north, the weather is colder, my driving might be very different than yours, there are no divided highways here, I park in a garage every night, my truck is plugged in at work in the winter, I sometimes tow heavy trailers, so many different variables, so I’m sure the oil analysis would be different, but is it the oil? or is it the driving habits/environment.
It was their idea to send in virgin oil samples for testing so we have a baseline to compare the two oils. Blackstone actually offered to do this free of charge as it’s good information for them to have.

tom318

Reaction score
Here is my second oil analysis report @ 22.5k miles. Aluminum still up there but the other seem to be improving. Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Minimal towing on this interval, maybe 2k miles. The rest is highway driving.
Oil Report 2.jpg

tom318

Reaction score
30k report. Minimal towing, again maybe 2k. Still some aluminum but it’s looking like that’s normal. Whether that’s good, bad or nothing to be worried about I’m not sure.... 6966BD50-3EFA-4FD5-B0D5-CDC6CB18D04C.jpeg

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The high aluminum numbers show up in almost all of these Gen 3 EcoDiesel reports, and if you look at the universal averages for this engine they are much lower. Keep in mind that a majority of the engine data used to create the universal average numbers came from the Gen 2 engine which had a totally different oil spec.

Does this indicate that the new oil spec for the Gen 3 engine is cleaning up emissions but sacrificing engine longevity? Hmm....

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shell Rotella T6 all the way for me. That’s what my dealer is using. Rolled passed 34567.8 km this week. Is there aluminum in my oil? I have yet to see anyone else post numbers for Shell Rotella T6, Looks like FCA or Stelantis are promoting Pennzoil, posters are all over at the service counter.
Averaging under 10 L/100km everyday driving, well mostly highway travelling to work 4 days a week. I have 50 shifts left before retirement, then travelling North America with a small travel trailer behind my Rebel Diesel.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shell Rotella T6 all the way for me. That’s what my dealer is using. Rolled passed 34567.8 km this week. Is there aluminum in my oil? I have yet to see anyone else post numbers for Shell Rotella T6, Looks like FCA or Stelantis are promoting Pennzoil, posters are all over at the service counter.
Averaging under 10 L/100km everyday driving, well mostly highway travelling to work 4 days a week. I have 50 shifts left before retirement, then travelling North America with a small travel trailer behind my Rebel Diesel.

Please update periodically. I'm truly interested in how your engine does with Rotella over the long haul.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please update periodically. I'm truly interested in how your engine does with Rotella over the long haul.
If this engine would ever fail, it would be the first in all my years of driving, however it is my first diesel.
Always had the oil changes done at the dealer while the vehicles are under warranty then always did the oil change myself.
I always bought oil on sale, many different kinds but the right viscosity oil, not synthetic, unless the vehicle has a turbo and call for synthetic oil.
I would definitely inform the forum if the engine would ever fail.

tom318

Reaction score
37.5k Report. Everything seems similar. I’ll have 1 more report at roughly 43k on pennzoil and after that finally switch to Quaker state. I had more penzzoil than I thought.
just got my truck back from the body shop so it hasn’t really been driven in almost a month...can’t wait to get back in it.
B019A2E3-A6A2-4596-BECA-D55BE72AAAB9.jpeg

spyder

Reaction score
Blackstone Labs is rad. I've been sending them oil samples for all my vehicles for years, every 10k miles. They've saved me loads of money.

tom318

Reaction score
Blackstone Labs is rad. I've been sending them oil samples for all my vehicles for years, every 10k miles. They've saved me loads of money.
These reports are nice to have since I change my own oil and it’s a good record to have. Though I’m curious to hear how they have saved you money? What issues were you able to uncover with these reports and repair prior to major repairs?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious how BL has saved you money? Exactly what have the reports indicated and what actions did you take that saved money?

spyder

Reaction score
Extended service intervals is one huge one. 3 gallons of Schaeffers isn't cheap, and if they're testing it and letting you safely get 11-12000 miles between changes, because you know what's in the oil and what's left in it, you're halving your oil change frequency. It also detects all sorts of stuff, with the knowledge to be able to tell you what is likely causing the change in trace amounts of whatever on that specific engine type with specific looming problems that you won't notice through degraded performance or smoke/noise/etc. Iron, aluminum, silicon, fuel, magnesium, etc. in the oil in abnormal amounts can tell you that air filtration is poor, or you have a main versus rod bearing starting to go, or a leaky injector that doesn't leak enough to notice but leaks enough to cause premature wear on the moving parts because of degraded oil quality, or corrosion stemming from coolant past its service life, etc etc etc.

Spend some time on their website reading example reports, and reading what trace minerals can indicate. It's quite interesting. One engine, they were able to tell me I had a main bearing starting to wear poorly, based on the expected trace mineral content on that particular engine. Repairing it then as opposed to several thousand miles down the road where other damage is starting to happen, very likely saved down time and extra repair costs, as well as being able to plan WHEN to do the repair instead of having it become an unexpected emergency.

But even if no problem is ever found, extending oil changes out towards the end of the useful life of the oil and additive package pay for themselves quickly.

tom318

Reaction score
Here is another report at 45k miles. Nearly no towing on this one, longer idles and not much pure highway driving. Seems the motor didn’t like this one to much. Higher iron content. Now that summer is around the corner and I start traveling/towing more we will see if that iron comes down on the next one. CD8AC91A-AA16-4091-95BB-0CB37D7AC7AC.jpeg

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is another report at 45k miles. Nearly no towing on this one, longer idles and not much pure highway driving. Seems the motor didn’t like this one to much. Higher iron content. Now that summer is around the corner and I start traveling/towing more we will see if that iron comes down on the next one. View attachment 128175
Is this analysis still with Pennzoil? Did you switch to Quaker State now? It will be interesting to see the difference between the two oils.

It would also be interesting if someone had analysis using Shell Rotella T6.

My 2020 Rebel Diesel got it’s 3rd oil change at 46,000km (28,600 miles) using dealer recommended Shell Rotella T6. Engine still sounds good and the mpg is the same.

Also got the Y81 recall done at the same time, I haven’t driven much since the recall so didn’t notice a difference in mpg, DEF usage or performance yet, but will be going on a 2,000km (1,200 miles) trip sometime this month and will see if there are any changes.

The big test will be this summer, 6 week trip including Newfoundland, towing a small travel trailer, Diesel fuel on the island is $2.76/litre ($10.43 US gallon) hopefully the price will settle down a bit by the summer, but no matter we are going, $800 round trip ferry is booked, average 6 hour ferry to the island, the island is quite big, it takes at least 8 hours to drive across it.

tom318

Reaction score
Is this analysis still with Pennzoil? Did you switch to Quaker State now? It will be interesting to see the difference between the two oils.

It would also be interesting if someone had analysis using Shell Rotella T6.

My 2020 Rebel Diesel got it’s 3rd oil change at 46,000km (28,600 miles) using dealer recommended Shell Rotella T6. Engine still sounds good and the mpg is the same.

Also got the Y81 recall done at the same time, I haven’t driven much since the recall so didn’t notice a difference in mpg, DEF usage or performance yet, but will be going on a 2,000km (1,200 miles) trip sometime this month and will see if there are any changes.

The big test will be this summer, 6 week trip including Newfoundland, towing a small travel trailer, Diesel fuel on the island is $2.76/litre ($10.43 US gallon) hopefully the price will settle down a bit by the summer, but no matter we are going, $800 round trip ferry is booked, average 6 hour ferry to the island, the island is quite big, it takes at least 8 hours to drive across it.
Yes this was on Pennzoil still. I'm running Quaker State now so we will see on the next report. This one will be significantly more highway miles and some towing. I haven't noticed any changes in power, fuel consumption or noise. All is as it was when I picked it up new. I'm almost 3k miles in on the new oil so this one will go quick.

cdsons

Reaction score
I have been running T-6 since the second oil change, I have 50k miles on the odometer and it purrs like a kitten. I average 23-25 mpg hwy and 20 in town. I have only been to the dealer to get my spare key programmed and for an issue with my automatic high beams. Mechanically it has been flawless. I run Ecogard filters as well. I am not going to get into all the oil sample voodoo as I have been driving diesels all my life, never lost a motor or had any kind of motor related issues. YMMV.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been running T-6 since the second oil change, I have 50k miles on the odometer and it purrs like a kitten. I average 23-25 mpg hwy and 20 in town. I have only been to the dealer to get my spare key programmed and for an issue with my automatic high beams. Mechanically it has been flawless. I run Ecogard filters as well. I am not going to get into all the oil sample voodoo as I have been driving diesels all my life, never lost a motor or had any kind of motor related issues. YMMV.
Thank you so much for posting! I thought I was the only one using the T6 oil, I’m in the same boat as you, have been running T6 since the second oil change, I also did like to hear that your truck has more miles than my truck. My truck has 28,500 miles (46,000 km) and no mechanical issues, purrs like a kitten too, my mpg is the same, well mine is actually 31 mpg highway Canadian (UK) gallon but would be almost the same if I were to use the slightly smaller American gallon.

The difference between you and I is that this is my first diesel. I have absolutely no regrets getting the diesel, I was fortunate that diesel up here in northern Ontario Canada was cheaper than gas for almost 2 years until now.

Users who are viewing this thread