5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil analysis report.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be sending off a T6 (+ stiction eliminator) sample next weekend.
Please post your analysis when you receive it, I am really interested to see the results because I have been using the same oil as you, Shell Rotella T6 since the first oil change, my truck has 65,000km or 40,000 miles, oil changes near 16,000km or 10,000 miles each time and when the truck calls for the oil change.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I’ll be sending off a T6 (+ stiction eliminator) sample next weekend.
definitely gonna keep my eye on this, I’ve been wondering about switching to T6. Every machine I have at work I run that oil in. And thanks for the reply, I’ve seen the trend of higher aluminum, but it’s nice to hear it again from other EcoDiesel owners.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got done with another long drive today, so looks like I’ll be changing the oil tomorrow and sending out the sample on Monday (or Tues if Mon is considered a holiday)

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
So, it doesn't look like Rotella did a bad job at all, but still a bit high on the aluminum front. But like we've heard and said, these engines have higher aluminum numbers than some. Thanks for posting these results djevox.
Got the T6 analysis back. Better quality pdf is attached.
View attachment 149715
I'm also nearing my next change. Gonna send out another sample of Pennz 5W-40, then maybe a cycle or two with Shell T6. curious to see my metal numbers now at 40k miles!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also nearing my next change. Gonna send out another sample of Pennz 5W-40, then maybe a cycle or two with Shell T6. curious to see my metal numbers now at 40k miles!
Can you post the next sample results up here?

tom318

Reaction score
I sent a sample out last week, hopefully ill be seeing mine soon on another 7500 miles of Quaker State Euro 5w40 (67.5k miles on motor). I'm hoping at some point my Aluminum starts dropping.......and when it does I'm not sure if ill be happy or more worried. Did the engine finally break in......or did some aluminum items wear as much as they could and next is "bang".

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a sample out last week, hopefully ill be seeing mine soon on another 7500 miles of Quaker State Euro 5w40 (67.5k miles on motor). I'm hoping at some point my Aluminum starts dropping.......and when it does I'm not sure if ill be happy or more worried. Did the engine finally break in......or did some aluminum items wear as much as they could and next is "bang".
One common thing I am seeing from blackstone is they claim flux in the intercooler accounts for a lot of the aluminum and that takes a long time to clear out. I have no idea how long the time period that is though, and I haven’t called to find out.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the last time I’m mentioning this- if someone else posts in this thread about what type of oil is supposed to be used, their post will be deleted and they will get a reply ban on this thread. Anyone is free to start their own thread and debate all day long, but this thread is not the place to do it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 67.5k report on quaker state. Aluminum is on the climb. Viscosity was a bit low as well. Doesn’t really make me feel to great but here are the results. View attachment 151906
Did you actually add 6 quarts of oil between July and October of 2022?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
My 67.5k report on quaker state. Aluminum is on the climb. Viscosity was a bit low as well. Doesn’t really make me feel to great but here are the results. View attachment 151906
Not too much of a climb, but maybe something to think about. Though I can’t imagine this motor falling apart at only 67,000 miles. I will say I agree with a shorter interval though, but that’s just my .02 cents. My last report held 21 PPM of aluminum. Gonna send another 5K sample of Pennzoil from my truck this week. Looking forward to seeing if my numbers jumped up more like yours did. Now at 40,000 miles.

tom318

Reaction score
Not too much of a climb, but maybe something to think about. Though I can’t imagine this motor falling apart at only 67,000 miles. I will say I agree with a shorter interval though, but that’s just my .02 cents. My last report held 21 PPM of aluminum. Gonna send another 5K sample of Pennzoil from my truck this week. Looking forward to seeing if my numbers jumped up more like yours did. Now at 40,000 miles.
I think ill do 1 more @7500 miles as that will put my truck at 75k miles. After than one I think ill move to 5k intervals unless those results look better. Everyone seems to be similar with high aluminum so I'm not to concerned but I was hoping to see it go down. We had some very cold days and a lot more idling on this round of oil compared to others.

TSL

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to Oil analysis reports, but did one on my new EcoD a number of months ago. I posted the results on another forum and a member over there suggested that Blackstone is not the best lab to use.
See the post here : Oil Analysis Lab Test Results
In particular he pointed out my aluminum readings looked way too LOW for a new engine !
I haven't yet done another sample, I don't drive the truck a lot, I'm only just over 5k miles now, but am slightly tempted next time to send a sample to two separate labs and see what happens ! Overkill admittedly, but I'm data guy so I might do it.
Thoughts from folks here on whether Blackstone generally get it right ?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Just got my most recent analysis in. 40,000 miles in for the sample. Still running a 5k interval. Mixed driving. 42k currently on the truck. Lemme know what y’all think.

Attachments

• AA507E1F-1BF3-4BAA-A54E-714175DDB2F9.jpeg
    AA507E1F-1BF3-4BAA-A54E-714175DDB2F9.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 41

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my most recent analysis in. 40,000 miles in for the sample. Still running a 5k interval. Mixed driving. 42k currently on the truck. Lemme know what y’all think.
Thank you for getting your oil analysis and posting the results. This is what I think, I does not sound good if when they say listen for engine knock or to check for low oil pressure, it is probably a good thing that you change oil at 5,000 miles, I am not impressed with that Pennzoil. I would be worried if I were you, did you ever show the results to your dealer?
Since new, I have been getting oil changes done at the dealer and they always use Shell Rotella T6, my truck is at 45,000 miles and the oil changes are done when the truck displays “change oil soon” which has been at every 10,000 miles. I plan on keeping this truck for at least another 4 years and I am really hoping that this little diesel will last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread