5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tailgate Ajar Warning (MY22)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do i find out before ordering the parts?
Looking at the schematics, it’s the same operation as the hood latch:
It’s looking for about 1700 ohm resistance when the tailgate is closed, and open circuit sets the tailgate ajar indications in the cluster.
So, if you enable the two settings in AlfaOBD, and if your cluster is capable of the feature, it will show the tailgate ajar indications since there is an open circuit from not having the correct wiring or latch.

frisby5

Reaction score
Ok sounds good ,looks like it should work with the at least the truck symbol showing open tailgate. Thx jimmy07!

mainjet

Reaction score
Very easy job by the way. Everything is at waist height, no crawling around. The factory harness is perfect with all the clips right where they need to be and the latch is super easy to remove and replace.

A must IMHO when you have a bed cover that blocks your view of the tailgate.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
**EDIT**

I went back and scrolled through the Car Configuration Change list and found the option for "ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Indication". I turned that on and now i have everything i was looking for. EVIC tailgate open icon now displays as well as the splash indication when you put it in gear. So just to summarize, if anyone else is looking to make this work on a 2022 Ram 1500, you need:

Part #'s:
68311435AD Jumper wiring harness (This will replace the current harness to both latches under that tailgate panel)
68312079AM Right side power gate latch with sensor

Tools:
- T-30 Torx bit
- T-45 Torx bit
- Panel popper screw driver
- Alpha OBD app and bluetooth dongle

You will need to activate in Alpha OBD:
CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26 - Set to Yes
ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Indication - Set to Yes

100% works.
I just completed this process to add a Tailgate Ajar warning in my 2022 Ram 1500 BigHorn. Super simple job once you have the parts and software already mentioned in this thread. The only "mistake" I made the first time was only completing one config change with Alfa OBD when you actually need to make two changes (thanks jaymo1500 for the excellent write-up here). The first time I used Alfa OBD I only changed the "ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Indication"...but that alone didn't work. Once I re-read this thread I realized I also needed to make one more change....once I changed "CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26" to YES, everything worked. Now with the tailgate down and get the "Tailgate Open" animation as soon as I put the car in to gear. Thanks again! My first time using Alfa OBD but certainly looking forward to seeing what else I can do with it.

Attachments

• 70465447334__387E8BAC-C278-4B68-8996-3F3612DC6486.jpeg
    70465447334__387E8BAC-C278-4B68-8996-3F3612DC6486.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 21

Murphy5156

Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed since performing this upgrade…I used to hear a pretty good “ka-chunk” at the tailgate when unlocking all the doors (and tailgate) using the key fob as the tailgate unlocked.

Since doing this upgrade I no longer hear that unlocking sound at the tailgate when using the fob to unlock all the doors (at least no where near as noticeable). Not sure why that’s the case, but just something I noticed.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed since performing this upgrade…I used to hear a pretty good “ka-chunk” at the tailgate when unlocking all the doors (and tailgate) using the key fob as the tailgate unlocked.

Since doing this upgrade I no longer hear that unlocking sound at the tailgate when using the fob to unlock all the doors (at least no where near as noticeable). Not sure why that’s the case, but just something I noticed.
There shouldn’t be any noise at all coming from the tailgate area when you press lock or unlock for the doors. This is because there is no physical lock/unlock mechanism for the tailgate, only a latch release. The way the tailgate “locks” or “unlocks” is, when the doors are locked, the tailgate release circuit in the handle is dead/unresponsive. When the doors are unlocked, that circuit in the tailgate handle switch is allowed to function from the BCM.

Haywizzle

Reaction score
Howdy all! I read the entire thread and thanks for all the helpful clear info. I think I am all good with the wiring as I have 4 wires on my harness on the passenger side latch and I checked my build sheet and it lists "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp." I took some pics. So I will just need AlfaOBD, This OBD2 Tool from Amazon and the ECRI Bypass. Reading the ECRI Instructions it looks like I need to purchase the module and then a unlock code. Is that correct? It's probably covered in the AlfaOBD thread but I haven't read it all yet. Thanks again!

20230513_162218.jpg 20230513_162235.jpg 20230513_162210.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howdy all! I read the entire thread and thanks for all the helpful clear info. I think I am all good with the wiring as I have 4 wires on my harness on the passenger side latch and I checked my build sheet and it lists "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp." I took some pics. So I will just need AlfaOBD, This OBD2 Tool from Amazon and the ECRI Bypass. Reading the ECRI Instructions it looks like I need to purchase the module and then a unlock code. Is that correct? It's probably covered in the AlfaOBD thread but I haven't read it all yet. Thanks again!

View attachment 158650 View attachment 158651 View attachment 158652
you need the ECRI bypass, obd bluetooth module and that's it.
then you need to download AlfaOBD and pay for it via google app store

then you're good to go.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
So, I recently performed this upgrade (purchased the new wiring harness and new latch for passenger side of tail gate) and programmed it using AlfaOBD. Everything has been working well but I’ve noticed a strange behavior with the cargo lights (the ones on either side of the 3rd brake light) as well as the interior LED bed lights.

When I unlock the doors, the LED bed lights AND the cargo lights come on. As far as I know this is the correct behavior…the strange part is both of those lights will seemingly stay on forever unless I lock the doors using the fob.

All the lights go off upon locking the truck, but stay on until then. Is there supposed to be a set amount of time these lights stay lit and then eventually turn themselves off automatically or is there another setting in AlfaOBD I need to enable to have these lights shut off automatically?

Thanks!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I recently performed this upgrade (purchased the new wiring harness and new latch for passenger side of tail gate) and programmed it using AlfaOBD. Everything has been working well but I’ve noticed a strange behavior with the cargo lights (the ones on either side of the 3rd brake light) as well as the interior LED bed lights.

When I unlock the doors, the LED bed lights AND the cargo lights come on. As far as I know this is the correct behavior…the strange part is both of those lights will seemingly stay on forever unless I lock the doors using the fob.

All the lights go off upon locking the truck, but stay on until then. Is there supposed to be a set amount of time these lights stay lit and then eventually turn themselves off automatically or is there another setting in AlfaOBD I need to enable to have these lights shut off automatically?

Thanks!
now that you mentioned it... that happened to me too.
I didn't think much of it at the time but now I found that strange.

Murphy5156

Reaction score

Thanks!

Update: I think I jumped the gun the first time…today I unlocked my truck and then waited to see if the cargo lights would go off on their own…I even used a stopwatch…sure enough the lights went off automatically after 60 seconds. Guess I just never waited long enough before.

frisby5

Reaction score
After installing the tailgate ajar wiring can you get a fob unit with the tailgate open button so it works with the upgrade ?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
After installing the tailgate ajar wiring can you get a fob unit with the tailgate open button so it works with the upgrade ?
You don’t need the ajar warning for the fob to work, but yes you can simply have a new fob programmed. I did both to mine

frisby5

Reaction score
You don’t need the ajar warning for the fob to work, but yes you can simply have a new fob programmed. I did both to mine
Ok , how much do fobs cost ? Can you program it with Alpha ?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Price varies based on where purchased and programmed. OEM vs after market, dealership vs locksmith. My local locksmiths are not equipped tp program the Ram FOB. I believe the one place that specializes in FOBS quoted $200 for an after market FOB. Can't program with Alpha. There is more info on the 5th gen forum.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a known working/programmable fob for the 5th gen 1500’s:

AlfaOBD can’t program the fobs, but I can set you up with a way to program them yourself if you want to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread