5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
So, a CD player was supposed to come in a 2020 Longhorn w/Level 1 equipment group? I have not seen one in any Longhorn or Limited. If it is available will it connect to the 12 inch system?
Well, how disappointing. When ordering the 2020, there was no online build app. So I just ordered everything as I built out the 2019. I was not told and not sure the dealer even knew.

But I was fiddling around with the center console and noticed a small cubby space above the phone charging pad.

Then I realized that’s where the CD player is supposed to be. Now I’m wondering if that was something I had to order and the dealer didn’t tell me. WHAT!? I’m pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!
Will the CD Player from a 2019 12in system still fit/adapt/plug into the 2020? Anyone done this? My wife loves her CDs.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So, a CD player was supposed to come in a 2020 Longhorn w/Level 1 equipment group? I have not seen one in any Longhorn or Limited. If it is available will it connect to the 12 inch system?

Will the CD Player from a 2019 12in system still fit/adapt/plug into the 2020? Anyone done this? My wife loves her CDs.
AFAIK, no changes in this area, so you should be fine ordering a 2019 unit.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
I ordered a 2020 Laramie Saturday. Got the Level 1 package with Nav and the 12” screen. About 8 weeks out on delivery. I didn’t see any mention of a CD being included so I don’t know what I’ll get. One thing I hoped for was the Ramcharger phone charger that comes in the Longhorn and Limiteds. Can’t get it as built, but I can order one for just over $200.00 to be installed. The charger states that a CD player is required, but the instruction sheet seems to show one without a CD player. All this leads to the question- does anyone have the Ramcharger Phone Charger and no CD Player?

Thank you!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure the Ramcharger is worth it? I have it in my Limited and never use it since my phone is always cable connected to use Apple CarPlay.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Are you sure the Ramcharger is worth it? I have it in my Limited and never use it since my phone is always cable connected to use Apple CarPlay.
Thank you, wondered about that and whether it would get double charged through the wireless charger and the USB. Still want it, just to have the option. Still learning about the new Ram, my last one was 20 years ago with a 3/4 Sport 4wd and Cummins. This will be a 1500 2wd Sport 5.7 Laramie.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Well, darn, I thought I posted a reply, but don’t see it.. Thank you! Have wondered if the phone would get overcharged with the Ramcharger and Ian plugged in. Still learning about the new Ram’s, my last one was 20 years ago.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You'll be fine with both at the same. Inductive charging will be disabled if it detects a cord plugged in.

cnote

Reaction score
I ordered a 2020 Laramie Saturday. Got the Level 1 package with Nav and the 12” screen. About 8 weeks out on delivery. I didn’t see any mention of a CD being included so I don’t know what I’ll get. One thing I hoped for was the Ramcharger phone charger that comes in the Longhorn and Limiteds. Can’t get it as built, but I can order one for just over $200.00 to be installed. The charger states that a CD player is required, but the instruction sheet seems to show one without a CD player. All this leads to the question- does anyone have the Ramcharger Phone Charger and no CD Player?

Thank you!
2020 Limited with Ramcharger Phone Charger and no CD player

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll be fine with both at the same. Inductive charging will be disabled if it detects a cord plugged in.
A little late seeing this post, but hopefully you will see this and respond. I only recently started plugging my iPhone in and using Carplay. The blue inductive charging light still comes on even though the phone is plugged into a USB. Just curious, does this mean it is charging or not? I thought the blue light on indicated that connection was made and charging commenced? Does it only mean the phone is sitting properly in the holder? Either way, I am sure the phone would still protect itself from over charging.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
The CD Player is still available with certain packages. For the 2020 Laramie Longhorn is standard (also on Limited).

View attachment 34474

You sure the dealer didn't delete it when they ordered it?
I told my dealer that I wanted the CD Player when ordering my Laramie Longhorn, Even re-confirmed with them prior to delivery. They kept informing me that it was going to be there.. Surprise, It came in WITHOUT IT .... :mad:
20200210_151226.jpg 20200210_151215.jpg 20200210_151115.jpg

BugGuy

Reaction score
A little late seeing this post, but hopefully you will see this and respond. I only recently started plugging my iPhone in and using Carplay. The blue inductive charging light still comes on even though the phone is plugged into a USB. Just curious, does this mean it is charging or not? I thought the blue light on indicated that connection was made and charging commenced? Does it only mean the phone is sitting properly in the holder? Either way, I am sure the phone would still protect itself from over charging.

From what I've read, the phone can't/won't do both. So I would think it's just a connection light at that point.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Won’t work. I tried it. Format on CDs is AIF or something and system doesn’t recognize the files. Music on CDs need to be converted to MP3.
CD's are raw Wave files. If you don't want absurd file sizes, make them FLAC files. no compression, or quality loss. You can use something like the OLD cdex to convert your cd's the new versions is a cesspool of hot garbage.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone wants to trade a cubby for their CD player, PM me.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
It's a $100 part, make them order it and install it.
If anyone wants to trade a cubby for their CD player, PM me.

All is good now, Just putting files on a thumb drive and it works great.

Thanks for the offer, Ill pass. May be someone else might want to trade.

Salesman had messed up so many things on the first truck ordered but when it came in damaged, I refused it. They re-ordered and I got even a better truck and deal but, still no CD Player, N/A on 2020 models so I had to do a work around. I am loving the new truck though !

See link

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All is good now, Just putting files on a thumb drive and it works great.

Thanks for the offer, Ill pass. May be someone else might want to trade.

Salesman had messed up so many things on the first truck ordered but when it came in damaged, I refused it. They re-ordered and I got even a better truck and deal but, still no CD Player, N/A on 2020 models so I had to do a work around. I am loving the new truck though !

See link
Do I read that right in that a CD player is no longer an option in 2020? That seems odd since my 2019 has one.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Do I read that right in that a CD player is no longer an option in 2020? That seems odd since my 2019 has one.

A lot of the top end sound systems came with them standard in 2019 and others had it available as an option. But once the year model changed they all went away without any notice, even my dealer was surprised. That is the way I understood it according to the dealer and the DealerConnect system. There are also other post here and on HDRams about this subject as well, unless things have changed in the past month or two. Check with your dealer to be sure. I was disappointed as well. :(

Users who are viewing this thread