5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

ramhead

Reaction score
Like it or not, technology marches on. FCA or any automaker is not going to put an older, going extinct option that only a fraction of people use into their mass produced vehicles & ever so slightly increasing build costs just to please that certain minority. I'm actually surprised it's still offered as an option....it would be like getting a floppy disk drive on a new computer.

Even knowing that such things become obsolete (or mostly so) I shake my head when I think of the THOUSANDS of dollars I wasted on not only CD's but VHS tapes, DVDs cassettes, etc. which are now worth either nothing or pennies on the dollar. As with other things, the Simpsons predicted it all (this was from around 2002):

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I still prefer renting a Bluray movie over streaming a movie during movie night because the quality is better. I love the ease of streaming and thumb drives etc.. but I hate that quality suffers even a little bit. This will change as bandwidth increases over time across internet and 5G networks. Although a minority, I think it is a large minority that wants the best quality possible and I appreciate the option for the CD player to experience best quality even if I rarely use it. Also, many people still have their old CDs and have not thrown them out, it is a nice option that it is still there. I think we would be surprised how many older folks like having the CD player option even if they do not use it often, they just like it is there because they still have CDs. Mine is under the bench seat, I don't even notice it but happy the option is there. Its not completely about whether people use it or not, it is about if they like it there or not. Instead of seeing it as a downside, I choose to see it as another easter egg :)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like it or not, technology marches on. FCA or any automaker is not going to put an older, going extinct option that only a fraction of people use into their mass produced vehicles & ever so slightly increasing build costs just to please that certain minority. I'm actually surprised it's still offered as an option....it would be like getting a floppy disk drive on a new computer.

Even knowing that such things become obsolete (or mostly so) I shake my head when I think of the THOUSANDS of dollars I wasted on not only CD's but VHS tapes, DVDs cassettes, etc. which are now worth either nothing or pennies on the dollar. As with other things, the Simpsons predicted it all (this was from around 2002):

View attachment 34201
You make good points, except one - it's not like having a floppy on a new computer. A floppy just held data, only less of it. A CD generally has superior sound quality to most other digital options, comes with artwork, liner notes, and can be played in other devices besides a CD player that do not have USB capability. Yes, "old" technology, but the fact that CD players are still being installed factory in vehicles 30 years later attests to their quality and popularity. Cassette decks barely made 20 and 8 tracks barely 10.

ramhead

Reaction score
I still prefer renting a Bluray movie over streaming a movie during movie night because the quality is better. I love the ease of streaming and thumb drives etc.. but I hate that quality suffers even a little bit. This will change as bandwidth increases over time across internet and 5G networks. Although a minority, I think it is a large minority that wants the best quality possible and I appreciate the option for the CD player to experience best quality even if I rarely use it. Also, many people still have their old CDs and have not thrown them out, it is a nice option that it is still there. I think we would be surprised how many older folks like having the CD player option even if they do not use it often, they just like it is there because they still have CDs. Mine is under the bench seat, I don't even notice it but happy the option is there. Its not completely about whether people use it or not, it is about if they like it there or not. Instead of seeing it as a downside, I choose to see it as another easter egg :)

Like you...I preferred Blu Rays for movies due to their much better image quality*......I have a projector/100" screen where the quality difference is very noticeable. But, it being visual it's much easier to tell with the video format...you can see the graininess/pixels/compression etc. I was always into hi fi audio too but I cannot discern as much of a difference, if any, between CDs and satellite radio or a decent quality bitrate (256k or above...320 seems best) audio file. I do have a large collection of CDs which I still play on a home unit but for vehicle use, IMO, a thumb drive with a 1000+ songs (Or Sirius) is much more convenient than having to take/store/change around a bunch of CDs in the console or wherever.

*Note - Netflix recently came out with their HD streaming option for a few bucks more a month....I thought it was a gimmick until I tried it - it is VERY good (even on a 100 inch screen) and I was surprised at the quality of the image. It may not be 4K Blu Ray but it's close - close enough to make me consider thinking about doing away with buying or renting Blu Rays...aka: the future VHS, DVD, CD. You do need a very good internet streaming speed for it (which, fortunately I have) but if you do I would say you can't see the difference on a 60" or so screen. One reason I still prefer Blu Rays though is you won't get stuff like Dolby Atmos, THX, DTS sound with a stream like on a Blu Ray.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like you...I preferred Blu Rays for movies due to their much better image quality*......I have a projector/100" screen where the quality difference is very noticeable. But, it being visual it's much easier to tell with the video format...you can see the graininess/pixels/compression etc. I was always into hi fi audio too but I cannot discern as much of a difference, if any, between CDs and satellite radio or a decent quality bitrate (256k or above...320 seems best) audio file. I do have a large collection of CDs which I still play on a home unit but for vehicle use, IMO, a thumb drive with a 1000+ songs (Or Sirius) is much more convenient than having to take/store/change around a bunch of CDs in the console or wherever.

*Note - Netflix recently came out with their HD streaming option for a few bucks more a month....I thought it was a gimmick until I tried it - it is VERY good (even on a 100 inch screen) and I was surprised at the quality of the image. It may not be 4K Blu Ray but it's close - close enough to make me consider thinking about doing away with buying or renting Blu Rays...aka: the future VHS, DVD, CD. You do need a very good internet streaming speed for it (which, fortunately I have) but if you do I would say you can't see the difference on a 60" or so screen. One reason I still prefer Blu Rays though is you won't get stuff like Dolby Atmos, THX, DTS sound with a stream like on a Blu Ray.
With my 8.2-channel home audio setup (phantom center, multiple subs), that last part about advanced audio processing missing from streaming sources is a letdown. I know it’s a “first-world problem”.

ramhead

Reaction score
With my 8.2-channel home audio setup (phantom center, multiple subs), that last part about advanced audio processing missing from streaming sources is a letdown. I know it’s a “first-world problem”.

Yeah....best you can get with streaming at this point is 5.1 surround. I haven't made the jump to an overhead center/dipole yet (room setup works against it) but use a 7.3 system (three 12" powered subs). The bass is excellent with the streaming audio but the lack of the signal for the other 2 channels sucks. That's why for any large scale/"epic" movies, blockbuster effect ones, etc. I will still rent or buy Blu Rays but for "message" dramas, comedies, etc. I will sometimes just use the stream and it's fine (not many comedies or run of the mill dramas need the THX, Atmos, 7. or 8. treatment). Also, I have a 3D capable projection system so I buy a lot of 3D Blu Rays (have to because there is no option to stream them).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah....best you can get with streaming at this point is 5.1 surround. I haven't made the jump to an overhead center/dipole yet (room setup works against it) but use a 7.3 system (three 12" powered subs). The bass is excellent with the streaming audio but the lack of the signal for the other 2 channels sucks. That's why for any large scale/"epic" movies, blockbuster effect ones, etc. I will still rent or buy Blu Rays but for "message" dramas, comedies, etc. I will sometimes just use the stream and it's fine (not many comedies or run of the mill dramas need the THX, Atmos, 7. or 8. treatment). Also, I have a 3D capable projection system so I buy a lot of 3D Blu Rays (have to because there is no option to stream them).
Yeah, I’ll probably be ribbed for this, but we still use the old Netflix Blu-Ray rental service (2 discs/month) to watch the “epic” movies in our backlog. Everything else is DirecTV or streaming (gigabit fiber).

runamuck

Reaction score
I made sure mine had a cd player. a deal breaker for me. that and rear a/c. I have serius xm but I also like to toss in a few old favorite cd's when I travel. dont care if it's old tech. also still have a real nice turntable at home to play the 350 or so albums I have kept over the years. the sound from them is great. I use a flash drive or bluetooth from my phone too but it's pretty easy to just pop in an ozzy cd if I want to

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My problem with the Netflix 4K is that they never had anything I wanted to watch in 4K. Watching a Netflix original standup comedy show in 4K isn't what I was looking for. The blockbuster movies were still HD. I get those in HDR Blu Ray and cancelled the more expensive Netflix streaming option. I have found that my 75" Sony Bravia does a great job with the HD Netflix content.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I was actually surprised my 19 came with one. My father in law complained that his Colorado doesn't have a CD player and it is a few years older. I honestly wouldn't miss the CD player. I get 99% of my music digitally via the Amazon app on my phone with the credits I get for declining the two day Prime shipping.

ramhead

Reaction score
My problem with the Netflix 4K is that they never had anything I wanted to watch in 4K. Watching a Netflix original standup comedy show in 4K isn't what I was looking for. The blockbuster movies were still HD. I get those in HDR Blu Ray and cancelled the more expensive Netflix streaming option. I have found that my 75" Sony Bravia does a great job with the HD Netflix content.

There's quite a bit of content now & they're adding more everyday but you're right that some of the stuff isn't really in demand. A regularly updated list is here (movie list is about halfway down page):

ramhead

Reaction score
I made sure mine had a cd player. a deal breaker for me. that and rear a/c. I have serius xm but I also like to toss in a few old favorite cd's when I travel. dont care if it's old tech. also still have a real nice turntable at home to play the 350 or so albums I have kept over the years. the sound from them is great. I use a flash drive or bluetooth from my phone too but it's pretty easy to just pop in an ozzy cd if I want to

To each his own but to me, driving in a truck with traffic, road noise, distractions, etc. is entirely different than sitting in a dimmed room in your house attentively listening to music. Which is why IMO, considering the convenience, a flash drive/Sirius in a veh. is more than suitable for music while tooling around in a truck.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I far prefer the audio quality of Pandora on my phone (Apple CarPlay) than SiriusXM. Then again, when you're in the boonies without a cell signal, SiriusXM is convenient.

Gozar

Reaction score
I far prefer the audio quality of Pandora on my phone (Apple CarPlay) than SiriusXM. Then again, when you're in the boonies without a cell signal, SiriusXM is convenient.
A combination of things works best for me. There are some CDs I really like and the audio quality is great, I can store a decent amount of music on my phone but a flash drive full really helps when there is not cell signal. I listen to XM a good deal of the time but the audio quality kinda sucks.
With two USB ports and a CD slot I can be set, phone in one, flash drive in the other and a CD in when I want to.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I'm cool with all the new technology, can stream with the best of them ... And I happily pay for music! I'm still glad my 2019 has a CD player, as I have a ton of them from my US Air Force days. I still buy them when the price is right on Amazon.

gpbst3

Reaction score
That cubby is pretty much worthless. They should have put a 12v plug in there

Users who are viewing this thread