5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

ddharris

Reaction score
I tossed a CD in mine to test it out. I found the LED that stays on when a CD is in the drive distracting, so I unloaded it.

If the plan was to have an LED to indicate a CD in the player, they should have chosen a different color from the transmission and drive-train indicators. It also doesn't need to be as bright and large as FCA made it.
Wow

Hostmatty

Reaction score
Well, how disappointing. When ordering the 2020, there was no online build app. So I just ordered everything as I built out the 2019. I was not told and not sure the dealer even knew.

But I was fiddling around with the center console and noticed a small cubby space above the phone charging pad.

Then I realized that’s where the CD player is supposed to be. Now I’m wondering if that was something I had to order and the dealer didn’t tell me. WHAT!? I’m pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!
I’ve owned my 2019 for a year and a half and didn’t think it had a CD player. It does. I have the jump seat in front. Last week I found out the bottom of the seat lifts up. BOOM! There’s the CD player... under the seat. Still haven’t used it though.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
before I did center console swap I discovered but never used. Innstead made a template and use steel to make a safe/cover down there.

imtfox

Reaction score
well if anyone has one laying around, I'll give you something for it...

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
If anyone really wants one you can still buy them online. Part number is 68365900AB and is available at several online sites. The cheapest I saw for anyone interested is $103.66 US shipped arriving between 11-15 Sep. Link is below.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
No, it's really not.

Exactly. You clearly don't know what bitrate means either lol.

The quality of music starts at the source. People complain non stop about the factory system sounding like crap yet they have no problem listening to XM radio lol. My 5k dollar custom 3 way setup would sound like crap on XM. I rip all my thumb drive off lossless but it's still not the same as CD. There is a clear difference when comparing back to back. No highs, no lows, it must be Bose MP3. :D

JimD007

Reaction score
Clearly the best MP3 bit rate, 320kbps, is lower than CDs 1411kbps. The only question is whether we can tell the difference in a car, a relatively noisy environment. Many people think they can but to know for sure, you would need to pass a blind test. Doesn't really matter as long as you like what you like. I'm OK with my MP3s. CDs may sound a little better but they also require a lot of messing around with discs.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I can certainly tell but I generally upgrade speakers and go active to boot. On a stock stereo the difference is less noticeable but definitely still there. I feel the compression with more collapsed FR.

Honestly my biggest gripe with factory setups are the lack of imaging. If I could do basic time alignment I could almost live with the factory. I was pretty hard on the HK initially but it's actually a pretty decent setup at reasonable listening volume. It's when you start to push the volume that it really gets unsorted.

Clearly the best MP3 bit rate, 320kbps, is lower than CDs 1411kbps. The only question is whether we can tell the difference in a car, a relatively noisy environment. Many people think they can but to know for sure, you would need to pass a blind test. Doesn't really matter as long as you like what you like. I'm OK with my MP3s. CDs may sound a little better but they also require a lot of messing around with discs.

imtfox

Reaction score
I bought the cd player from the dealer and got a decent price. Installed it but the 8" u connect doesn't recognize it. Going to take it to the dealership and have them check why it's not working. Good news is, I have a pocket if someone wants to pay the ride.

Last edited:

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the cd player from the dealer and got a decent price. Installed it but the 8" u connect doesn't recognize it. Going to take it to the dealership and have them check why it's not working. Good news is, I have a pocket of someone wants to pay the ride.
What year is your. Is it a Limited,Laramie version

imtfox

Reaction score
2020 big horn laramie. It had the wiring for the cd player, all I had to do was move the screw metal mounts from the pocket to the rear mount of the cd player. The system just won't recognize it.

Last edited:

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will try and see if using my tazer dt will make it recognizable to work otherwise I will sell my brand new CD player I got for my 2019 but never use. it was a replacement unit I paid for. i had a hum in my others it after changing the speakers but I was able to fix the noise.
I had already paid and special ordered it so dealer wouldn’t refund.

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
There's a Johnny Cash museum in Nashville that has a cool comparison of all the formats that his music has been released on. You get to listen to his song "Get Rhythm" on vinyl, 8-track, cd, etc. There's definitely a difference between formats. And I have 100% noticed the quality drop in my wrangler when I bluetooth with my phone so I still use an ipod touch to play music. With how small of a storage space you get (and how much interior storage is available already), I think id rather just have the CD player. But hey, once i get my truck, I may use that spot all the time for something😁 haha

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled out my console but I don’t have or couldn’t find wires to plug it in. guess I will sell it at alost

Users who are viewing this thread