5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
I pulled out my console but I don’t have or couldn’t find wires to plug it in. guess I will sell it at alost
i wonder if theres a way to power that unit, or something 3rd party, via USB and Aux In.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I gonna take a lost and sale for $80 to recoup a couple of dollars

imtfox

Reaction score
My wires were taped in black tape on the lower driver side of the front of the console. They are barely long enough to reach the cd player but they are looped inside the tape.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
None there I pulled center console ,disconnected the wires so I could look under.
wondering if the, etorque, 360 camera system or being a limited has anything to do with it

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am actually interested in adding a CD Player, I love my CDs....I know...old tech.

My truck has the little storage bin.

lokiufgator

Reaction score
So I just recently got my 2021 Laramie 1500 and immediately found this group and this thread! I've got the center console with cubby and the 12" screen. I took out the 4 bolts on the console I could find and the back picked up fine, but it felt like it was still pivoting on something up front under the infotainment unit. Anyone know if I missed a bolt or just need to tug harder? I'd really love to have the CD player since my library doesn't offer many eAudiobooks, but I chew up the miles with books on CD.

imtfox

Reaction score
Tug harder. There is a cable connecting it all but it will slide back 4" at least before that starts to bind

BoudinBall

Reaction score
So is this simply plug and play? Anything need to be done to the screen? I have the 12" and I'm very interested in adding the cd player.

tones2SS

Reaction score
On my '16 Ram Sport, the cd player was optional. I don't know why I got it, I never even used it once. lol
I just put all my tunes on a thumbdrive and leave it in the truck. Way easier than fumbling for/with cd's and way more organized as well.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, how disappointing. When ordering the 2020, there was no online build app. So I just ordered everything as I built out the 2019. I was not told and not sure the dealer even knew.

But I was fiddling around with the center console and noticed a small cubby space above the phone charging pad.

Then I realized that’s where the CD player is supposed to be. Now I’m wondering if that was something I had to order and the dealer didn’t tell me. WHAT!? I’m pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck arrived!!! Yes!
I had a 19 and built a 21, I went to put a cd in last week and guess what? No CD player, but another cubby hole🤣 Time to throw my cds away. Xm radio or Amazon music I guess!

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I had a 19 and built a 21, I went to put a cd in last week and guess what? No CD player, but another cubby hole🤣 Time to throw my cds away. Xm radio or Amazon music I guess!
Screw that. I'm old school... when I buy something, I want to be able to hold it, touch it, and use it without having to depend on some 'provider service' [that I also have to pay for] in order to get to it (why pay more money to stream music you already own?). As a multi-faceted IT Professional since the mid-'80s, I've seen way to much in the way of 'ways IT can fail' to trust online services as implicitly as many people these days do. Not everything new is necessarily better - my $4000 cobbled-together component stereo from the late '80s is vastly superior to my brand-new Onkyo HT system, for instance... I'll just rip the CDs to MP3s on a USB and be happy with that. If I lose one, or it dies from heat or whatever, just burn another and call it good.

USB Thumb Drives will probably be about as far as I go toward complete media independence.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Screw that. I'm old school... when I buy something, I want to be able to hold it, touch it, and use it without having to depend on some 'provider service' [that I also have to pay for] in order to get to it (why pay more money to stream music you already own?). As a multi-faceted IT Professional since the mid-'80s, I've seen way to much in the way of 'ways IT can fail' to trust online services as implicitly as many people these days do. Not everything new is necessarily better - my $4000 cobbled-together component stereo from the late '80s is vastly superior to my brand-new Onkyo HT system, for instance... I'll just rip the CDs to MP3s on a USB and be happy with that. If I lose one, or it dies from heat or whatever, just burn another and call it good.

USB Thumb Drives will probably be about as far as I go toward complete media independence.
Preach it, brother - I'm firmly in your camp. We might be dinosaurs but we remember when you actually owned music and listened to it uncompressed! I have a Sony component stereo that I bought new in 1993 that still sounds and plays great, along with a set of component Bose speakers that are still awesome sounding. My 300+ cd collection sounds great on them 😁. And if I get the notion, I break out some vinyl and put it on the turntable...

Orion10182011

Reaction score
A CD will soon be like and 8 track or cassette tape. With smartphones that can hold entire libraries of music there isn't much need anymore.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I was a bit surprised mine didn't come with one. But then again, it is nearly 2020, streaming/mp3 is where we are now. Hell, I grew up on albums and cassettes, with some 8 tracks thrown in for good measure, and no longer haul around my cd collection.

I would guess you could buy one and have it installed if available.
My 2015 didn't come with one and I was surprised, so this isn't new. I think it is more trouble than it is worth for RAM.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Got the ole single CD player in my early build (Apr 2018) MY 19 Bighorn, works for me. I usually either listen to satellite, my thumb drive or drop a Janis Joplin CD into the player.

A couple of months ago, I bought a new Blue Ray player to replace one that died, was an original Sony. My son laughed, said D/L on internet. My turn to laugh. I am rural, have a 3 MB internet DSL line, not gonna D/L a lot of ne thing, LOL.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
A CD will soon be like and 8 track or cassette tape. With smartphones that can hold entire libraries of music there isn't much need anymore.
Quoting something one of my best friends said years ago, "New just means new, it doesn't necessarily mean 'good.'" He was referring to auto parts from the store when one doesn't work out of the box, but I believe it applies here as well. With smartphones rapidly becoming the 'standard,' rather than a 'luxury,' you are correct that other forms of media will definitely become less significant eventually. However, smartphones aren't necessarily 'better,' by any means.

My current phone is a Motorola RAZR 2020, and except for the folding capability and better sound quality for calls, I actually hate it compared to my old Kyocera ruggedized flip phone. The RAZR's battery life is crap (it's on the charger every day, when the flipper was once every 2 weeks), there is way more 'stuff' on this device than I'll ever need (I make calls, and take a picture now and then), and the device itself is a lot more delicate than the flipper (it can't handle living in my truck all day - it shuts down from the heat, which is too bad since I can't take it into work). I also have an iPhone XR for work, and it's only marginally better with a much longer battery life, but it shuts down when it's too hot as well (ironically, I can't take my work phone into work - that's the USG for you) - but one of the biggest things I hate about the iPhone is accidentally turning on the flashlight or camera just trying to pick it up or take it out of my pocket (which is why I wanted the flip/folding feature of the RAZR). I've also never butt-dialed anybody in my life.

Smart phones are more prevalent now because people are easily fooled into make concessions - they're addicted to their new electronic toys so much they've willingly allowed themselves to be retrained into planning at least part of their days around finding a charger and/or a good signal.

Believe it or not, vinyl's making a comeback... so are cassettes... and CD/DVD/Blu-Ray disc media isn't going anywhere for quite awhile. I also still have around 1500 CDs & 400 cassettes (many of them copies of CDs) - My CJ-7 still has a cassette deck in it... can't skip a cassette when bouncing the frame off a rock, after all. Probably have 2500+ movies on DVD & Blu-Ray, too. No Netflix, iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, or SXM bills though - imagine that.

But - that's just me. I totally understand that people enjoy, use, rely on, and even need their smartphones, and I don't judge anybody for that. They are truly remarkable devices when you think about how far technology has come is such a short time. Even my lowly flip phone had more processing horsepower than the NASA computers used to send the Apollo Missions to the Moon. My Ram and Jeep are 2 very different vehicles, and I love them both for what they are, but I take solace in knowing that my Jeep will still run with no danger of ever getting 'bricked' by a virus, hacker, or bad update - which happens a lot more frequently than people realize... it's just a matter of time before it happens to 'you.'

OG_Beaker

Reaction score
I haven't seen this information yet all in one post and spent a few hours searching various posts to find this all, so I figured I'd take a second to write it up all up and put it here for reference. Hopefully, this helps someone looking to do this. I know my dealer had problems locating what I was looking for when I was describing the parts to them since they pull things up based on VIN and whatever you have is what will come up for them.

Disclaimer: Always double-check your parts and install instructions to make sure they are right for your vehicle.

Parts Information:

Bin: 68524507aa
Rubber Mat for Bin: 68524508aa
CD Player: 68335565AB

Picture1.png

Various pictures:

The bin (from Google):

68524507AA-0-ANG.jpeg

The bin installed (Rsorrell2, post #121):

Picture2.png

The CD player (osage921, post #135):

CD.jpeg

The CD player installed (tobyw, post #7, "Anyone Removed CD Player?"):

IMG_5921.jpeg

Part numbers on Mopar (Jonwiggle, post #169):

Picture3.png

Installation Instructions:

Instructions from Aseras in post #129 on how to access and replace the CD player or bin:

"Pull trim from both sides of center console. The thin strips. There’s 2 10mm bolts there. Then take out the 4 squares at each corner of the center console and remove those four 10mm bolts. Now you can slide the whole console back a foot easy. Cd player or cubby is two screws right on top. Its a 5 minute job."​

Factory instructions on how to remove the center console (skip the ram charger parts and the infotainment removal):

Pictures and instructions from post #234 (my own post and pictures):

A couple of updates and some new pictures as I just finally went through the install process.​
There are, as listed, six total bolts to then slide the console back (at least on my 19 Limited). They are all under trim pieces in the following locations:​

Front of the console (left and right):

IMG_0707.jpg

Rear of the console (slide your seat all the way forward):

IMG_0711.jpg

While this next part may not be technically required, I found it infinitely easier to remove the CD player this way. I removed six total screws in the order shown below.

1 and 2 allowed the back of the CD player to be free.
3 and 4 allowed the thin trim along the console sides to be lifted up and removed (pro tip, lift your center console first or it will gouge your leather).
5 and 6 allow the ram charger plastic piece to be lifted up.
7 and 8 (on the bottom side of the plastic) allow the CD player to be removed and then the cubby to be installed.

IMG_0708 (1).JPG

I'm still waiting on the plastic mat to come into the dealer, (yes, it a separate part you need to order) but I'm calling this one 99% complete:

64979210167__EFD3DD1E-D393-436A-8FE5-9228A3C84DCF.jpg

Hope this helps anyone looking to complete this, I'm extremely happy with the results and the ease of install.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    495 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread