5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's really dissapointing. Being in Canada I don't want to deal with that every morning while leaving my house in the middle of winter.

That could be a no go for me.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear the reviews by the early adopters. Thanks.

The 1st/2nd gear lockup issue is a concern for me. I, too, live in a neighborhood with some hills. I cannot imagine what a disappointment it would be to drive out each day, and on subsequent errands, with the driveline locked and the shift point fixed high on the rpm band.

It may just be the first 10 or 15 minutes, but I have to drive the first 10 or 15 minutes with a "cold" engine every single time I leave my house.

I don't think I can appreciate all the knowledge and work that GDE has put into this tune, but they have lost a sale based on their implementation of the "push" to warm up the engine.

Daverous

Reaction score
I really wish it were possible to allow trial runs on the tune for people to report back prior to buying. I say that based solely on the fact that the warm up pattern has been very minor in my situation. The first 10 to 15 minutes of my commute is all neighborhood, very minor hills, and under 25mph. I know WXman has a completely different first 15 minutes of his drive from first hand experience.
I'd still really love to see if there is any tangible difference between the two models in person. I know what GDE said, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around such different experiences. I have to wonder if it's driving style, landscape, vehicle, or a combination of all 3?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really wish it were possible to allow trial runs on the tune for people to report back prior to buying. I say that based solely on the fact that the warm up pattern has been very minor in my situation. The first 10 to 15 minutes of my commute is all neighborhood, very minor hills, and under 25mph. I know WXman has a completely different first 15 minutes of his drive from first hand experience.
I'd still really love to see if there is any tangible difference between the two models in person. I know what GDE said, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around such different experiences. I have to wonder if it's driving style, landscape, vehicle, or a combination of all 3?

Great points.
1. A trial would be fantastic.
2. You have a RAM
3. WXman has a Jeep Gladiator
4. You have a good experience, his is less positive, specifically regarding warmup.

Last edited:

Daverous

Reaction score
In addition he went from factory to GDE. I went from MrTuning to GDE. I feel like that may also play a bigger factor than I was initially thinking. I've had six months to adjust to a different throttle input map.
I have some safety recall warranty work that needs done and a few flash updates due on the bcm. It'll be a good time to swap back to oem and compare.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a tune on my old gmc that locked up the converter way to much and it was really annoying. Hopefully GDE will address this issue and I may take the short drive over. I’m in southwest Ontario and it’s less than 2 hours each way to their shop.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to try it. I flashed the trans back to stock today, left the engine tuned PCM in place. Will see what happens on the way to work tomorrow.

The last few days have had temps near 70 in the afternoons. Abnormally warm for December. This morning wife and son and I stopped at McD's for breakfast. Shut the truck off ten minutes. When I started it back up it was back into it's "cold" trans shift pattern. Held 2nd gear until 3,100 RPM then finally shifted once we pulled onto the road. Absolutely ridiculous. While driving in the parking lot, the truck was lurching and jerking because it's impossible to drive it in a smooth fashion with the TC locked up in 1st or 2nd gear. Wife actually said my driving was terrible. LOL. I said it's not me it's the truck. "Well what happened to the truck then??" Sigh....

It's such a shame, because out on the highway the trans tune is really good. Makes the truck better. Just simply makes it better. But I can't get over this around town loss of refinement and smoothness. I've been comparing it to driving a stick shift truck around town, but that's not really fair because with a stick shift you can slip the clutch and still drive it in a smooth fashion.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes this week. I'll report back with any issues, or if it's great and works fine on stock trans tune with GDE engine tune.

Reactions: c3k

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's really hard to explain, but I give it a whirl at about 4:50 if you want to fast forward:

Rhombus

Reaction score
How did you guys get the dealer to put the latest TCM and ECM updates on before the tune? GDE’s instructions state you have to be at the latest updates. Thanks

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stock trans, GDE engine tune this morning. Went to town, shut the truck off 10 minutes to get breakfast. Started it back up and in the parking lot it was perfect. Shifted 1, 2, 3 by the time I was at 15 MPH. When I let off the pedal it actually coasted like it should. VERY smooth and refined. Around town the stock programming is the only way to go.

Then 30 minutes to work, no CEL or issues. Truck drove really nice again. Still feels like a bit more power from the engine calibration.

Dear Santa (GDE),

For Christmas this year I want the refinement and smoothness of the stock programming around town, combined with the awesome torque converter function and gear holding capability you guys developed for on the highway. :)

P.S. For the record I went directly from a Gen 3 EcoDiesel Ram to this Gen 3 Jeep. I had the Ram for two winters (19-20 and 20-21). I never remember my Ram ever driving harsh on a cold morning, even with the temp in the single digits and snow on the ground. It may have delayed upshifts a little longer, but it never would take 3,100 RPM to shift out of 2nd. Nor would it ever throw our heads forward when I gently lift my foot off the accel pedal. It was still smooth and refined.

BNJMN

Reaction score
@WXman Get some more time running just the engine tune and let us know if you think the improved performance is worth it; or if by taking out the positive side of the trans tune does it make it pointless to have the engine tuned?

Edited to say Please and Thank you! :)

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Hey

Looks good DieselRebel!

Any chance we can get a vid or sound clip of this? I've gone from a 2016 straight piped cummins to a 2022 Ecodiesel and I'll be honest; I miss the sound!

How's the drone on the highways?

Thanks!

Kevin
I have a video already earlier in this thread on page 10. It does have bit of a drone on the highway, but not bad and not as much as a cummins. Mine is not completely straight piped. I left the resonators on the dual exhausts, which I am glad because I feel like it's the perfect volume right now, in being more than stock so sounds like a traditional diesel, but not obnoxiously loud or annoying while in the cab driving.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from Detroit to NH at Midnight to get the GDE power tune and Trans tune Installed.

On the Stock trans tune any Anthill the truck had to climb it would downshift 1 or 2 gears to climb it.
Advertising that 480 ftlbs of torque then limiting its use in the Software.

The GDE trans Tune I set the trucks ACC at 75 MPH (1700 RPM) from Toledo to Albany. Only some of
the Larger hills did it Downshift.

I got 22.1 MPG on the stock tune out to Detroit with the cruise set to 65-70. For 30.666 Gallons I only
got 662 miles before I had to fill up. the Winter Diesel mix sux for mileage. On the way back I know
I was doing better because I still had 100 miles of range left from when i topped off the tank near
the same place I got to at Toledo. Once I fill up after work I will report back with the Mileage figures.
It will be closer to 25 MPG at 75 MPH. If I kept it at 55 MPH think it would do even better than that.

This morning's 32º start and only a 3 minute warm up shifts happened at 2100 rpm not the 3000 that
has been reported by others.

Got the Regen Message in the EVIC lasted about 10-12 minutes. Also installed the Manualmatic feature.
GDE also included the Trans Tune Flasher. Instructed me to flash the Stock Trans tune if I take it to the Dealer.
If the Dealer for some reason tries to flash over it, it could Brick the Module.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@WXman Get some more time running just the engine tune and let us know if you think the improved performance is worth it; or if by taking out the positive side of the trans tune does it make it pointless to have the engine tuned?

Edited to say Please and Thank you! :)

So with the engine tune ONLY I have no CELs or issues. Works fine. Drives much smoother and more refined. But, it does feel like some of the added engine power is being retarded by the trans software. It's really hard to say this for sure because it's all subjective and based on feel. But the truck as a whole does feel stronger with the engine AND trans tune installed together.

So there's stock, then there's a little bit of a benefit with the engine tune, and then there's a whole lot of gain with engine + trans tune. That's how it feels to me.

pnw_rcutv

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying not wanting to start a tune war but would enjoy hearing feedback of the GDE vs the current BANKS offering as I'm sure these will be the two most popular options stateside for the time being. I'm very familiar with the GDE and have used it before. However, the Banks offering although essentially a Piggyback offers some pleasing numbers and with the ability to quickly revert back to stock if needed.

I think the GDE is frankly probably one of the most complete and OEM level tune options to be offered in any diesel application. However, even in the Gen4 trucks their original TCU tune wasn't that great to start with. I suspect being their new EPA testing requirements prohibits them from making frequent changes or revisions without further approvals. This likely hinders them from wanting to change this cold shifting behavior, especially if that's part of "emissions" to warm the truck up faster, this all based off assumptions of course. I'm closely watching this myself, as somebody who lives in the PNW and see's temps from 0°F up to 100°F in the summer I'd prefer it shift the same regardless of temperature. If FCA can do that currently and they have a pretty horrid TCU tuning track record I suspect GDE can as well...

To be honest the OEM tuning of the new 75HP trans is pretty good compared to earlier models, really just removing the TQ limits would be preferred. It's also rather noticeable in HEMI applications which I now own.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying not wanting to start a tune war but would enjoy hearing feedback of the GDE vs the current BANKS offering as I'm sure these will be the two most popular options stateside for the time being. I'm very familiar with the GDE and have used it before. However, the Banks offering although essentially a Piggyback offers some pleasing numbers and with the ability to quickly revert back to stock if needed.

I think the GDE is frankly probably one of the most complete and OEM level tune options to be offered in any diesel application. However, even in the Gen4 trucks their original TCU tune wasn't that great to start with. I suspect being their new EPA testing requirements prohibits them from making frequent changes or revisions without further approvals. This likely hinders them from wanting to change this cold shifting behavior, especially if that's part of "emissions" to warm the truck up faster, this all based off assumptions of course. I'm closely watching this myself, as somebody who lives in the PNW and see's temps from 0°F up to 100°F in the summer I'd prefer it shift the same regardless of temperature. If FCA can do that currently and they have a pretty horrid TCU tuning track record I suspect GDE can as well...

To be honest the OEM tuning of the new 75HP trans is pretty good compared to earlier models, really just removing the TQ limits would be preferred. It's also rather noticeable in HEMI applications which I now own.

Well, the Banks and AFE piggyback systems will NOT be "quick" to revert back to stock. What a PITA it would be to pull the engine cover, intake, and then try to access those connections with your fingers followed by unrouting the wiring through the firewall every time you go to the dealership. That just sounds like a major pain. Not to mention the guage pod would be a red flag to a dealership that it's tuned.

I also don't like the idea of arbitrarily jacking up the fuel pressure on a Bosch CP4 injection pump that is known to grenade on its own without any help in stock form.

I agree with you completely about GDE probably not wanting to fix their jacked up trans tuning because it would technically require new EPA cert. What a pain...

If they could marry the below 25 MPH behavior of the stock trans tune to the above 25 MPH behavior of their in-house tune, they'd pretty much have a close to perfect option on their hands. I am concerned about the rate of DEF usage also....but that'll require time to be able to tell for sure if it's worse than stock...sure seems to be.

Daverous

Reaction score
The dosing is increased to offset for emissions. That, I can verify from my time there. The unfortunate result of needing to satisfy regulations.
With regard to the exact percentage you'll need to consult with them.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they could marry the below 25 MPH behavior of the stock trans tune to the above 25 MPH behavior of their in-house tune, they'd pretty much have a close to perfect option on their hands. I am concerned about the rate of DEF usage also....but that'll require time to be able to tell for sure if it's worse than stock...sure seems to be.
^^^
This.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from Detroit to NH at Midnight to get the GDE power tune and Trans tune Installed.

On the Stock trans tune any Anthill the truck had to climb it would downshift 1 or 2 gears to climb it.
Advertising that 480 ftlbs of torque then limiting its use in the Software.

The GDE trans Tune I set the trucks ACC at 75 MPH (1700 RPM) from Toledo to Albany. Only some of
the Larger hills did it Downshift.

I got 22.1 MPG on the stock tune out to Detroit with the cruise set to 65-70. For 30.666 Gallons I only
got 662 miles before I had to fill up. the Winter Diesel mix sux for mileage. On the way back I know
I was doing better because I still had 100 miles of range left from when i topped off the tank near
the same place I got to at Toledo. Once I fill up after work I will report back with the Mileage figures.
It will be closer to 25 MPG at 75 MPH. If I kept it at 55 MPH think it would do even better than that.

This morning's 32º start and only a 3 minute warm up shifts happened at 2100 rpm not the 3000 that
has been reported by others.

Got the Regen Message in the EVIC lasted about 10-12 minutes. Also installed the Manualmatic feature.
GDE also included the Trans Tune Flasher. Instructed me to flash the Stock Trans tune if I take it to the Dealer.
If the Dealer for some reason tries to flash over it, it could Brick the Module.

Malodave
Thanks for the write up. Please keep us updated.

Is it possible it's something in the gladiator tuning that is causing this? I know the trans tune should be the same but maybe theres something small causing this warm up behavior.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread