5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie eco questions

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good friend of mine was recently denied warranty coverage for his 42,000 eco diesel main bearing failure because he does his own maintenance. Even though he had oil receipts they said he couldn’t prove he changed the oil. Total BS as I also do all my own maintenance. I am going to do a separate thread to let people know these engines are still having catastrophic failures and Chrysler is not standing behind them.
Your statement is supported with little to no data. What proof do you have of this for the 3rd Gen other than one example with 42,000 miles…was it one of the problem prone 2nd Gens? Or was it a 3rd Gen? And if a 3rd Gen, how many others have been denied to support your claim FCA “is not standing behind them?”

All emotion and supposition, no facts or data.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your statement is supported with little to no data. What proof do you have of this for the 3rd Gen other than one example with 42,000 miles…was it one of the problem prone 2nd Gens? Or was it a 3rd Gen? And if a 3rd Gen, how many others have been denied to support your claim FCA “is not standing behind them?”

All emotion and supposition, no facts or data.
This is a 1 year old meticulously maintained truck that was denied warranty for the reason that he cannot prove oil changes were made. Even though he has receipts for oil and filters he was told that he can’t prove they were for this truck. They can do this to anyone. I’ve been doing my own oil changes my entire life and trust myself more than the incompetent dealers and quick change places. I don’t know what the main cause is but there’s lots of issues with the eco diesels. I’ve been a long time Ram fan but this type of complete BS needs to get out there. I understand issues arise in manufacturing, but not standing behind your product is unacceptable.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a 1 year old meticulously maintained truck that was denied warranty for the reason that he cannot prove oil changes were made. Even though he has receipts for oil and filters he was told that he can’t prove they were for this truck. They can do this to anyone. I’ve been doing my own oil changes my entire life and trust myself more than the incompetent dealers and quick change places. I don’t know what the main cause is but there’s lots of issues with the eco diesels. I’ve been a long time Ram fan but this type of complete BS needs to get out there. I understand issues arise in manufacturing, but not standing behind your product is unacceptable.
Agree. I’d be taking my claim to Ramcare to let them resolve the impasse and if that doesn’t work my attorney would be my next phone call.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Definitely the best truck I’ve owned. This is my Rebel with 3.92s on a highway trip last weekend at 8.5L/100km or 27.67mpg (verified at the pump too) with 4 people, luggage and a bike on my above bed rack gave this while driving through the Alberta/BC Rockies. I have seen as high as 7.5L/100km without passengers and bikes above in non-mountainous terrain on the highway and regularly get 11.5L/100km or 20mpg in the city on short commutes. With my 7600lb trailer it gets 16-17L/100km or 13-14mpg, way better than the 6.5-7.5mpg towing and best ever mileage of 16.6mpg I was seeing with my previous Hemi.
0734ea7e75280d900909b550da088206.jpg

bdc5427c3d86161f8ac4869e09c88e0e.jpg

3a6c8060f40a1313f4ddfffd55804c73.jpg

bf3907b8a2edae9ecd4f42a4a3543c05.jpg

tom318

Reaction score
Id also be taking my claim to Ramcare. Is it just a case of bad service at a specific dealer? Is it possible to take it to another dealer and get a different result? I do all my own service and will continue to do so but have been sending out for oil analysis just so I have a nice record on hand. Seems like they should confirm the oil was never changed before blaming the customer.....an oil analysis is cheap.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd call a lawyer first. Because these guys need to lose some money to learn how to adjust their attitude.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree. I’d be taking my claim to Ramcare to let them resolve the impasse and if that doesn’t work my attorney would be my next phone call.
According to the other thread the denial came straight from FCA/Stellantis, not the dealer. The owner needs to be on the phone with an attorney.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to the other thread the denial came straight from FCA/Stellantis, not the dealer. The owner needs to be on the phone with an attorney.
And I know that however I’d still go through Ram Care simply to gather as much info as possible as to the basis of the denial. Perhaps it was something the dealer stated which was inaccurate. Perhaps FCA has someone who made the call that didn’t know what they were doing. I’ve seen Ram Care get in the middle and make things right because the dealer was giving incorrect information to FCA and that was the basis of their decision. Once Ram Care got to the truth, things happened quickly and in the truck owners favor.

Likewise, the info gathered by working with Ram Care (if they don’t change FCA’s decision) will help when calling your attorney as you will be armed with something more than just a “well, I changed my own oil and they denied my warranty claim.” Let’s face it, we all know their position is **** and facts will prevail so might as well have as many as possible for your attorney.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I know that however I’d still go through Ram Care simply to gather as much info as possible as to the basis of the denial. Perhaps it was something the dealer stated which was inaccurate. Perhaps FCA has someone who made the call that didn’t know what they were doing. I’ve seen Ram Care get in the middle and make things right because the dealer was giving incorrect information to FCA and that was the basis of their decision. Once Ram Care got to the truth, things happened quickly and in the truck owners favor.

Likewise, the info gathered by working with Ram Care (if they don’t change FCA’s decision) will help when calling your attorney as you will be armed with something more than just a “well, I changed my own oil and they denied my warranty claim.” Let’s face it, we all know their position is **** and facts will prevail so might as well have as many as possible for your attorney.
Having had a similar experience with a different manufacturer, DIY oil changes, and a denied warranty claim... I find it believable. Once a lawyer got involved things moved very quickly because the manufacturer knows they are in the wrong, they just hope people don't fight it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having had a similar experience with a different manufacturer, DIY oil changes, and a denied warranty claim... I find it believable. Once a lawyer got involved things moved very quickly because the manufacturer knows they are in the wrong, they just hope people don't fight it.
And they shouldn’t have to fight it, oil and filter receipts are all the evidence that should be required when maintenance records are requested. I don’t think anyone is going to hire a bookkeeper and bill themselves for labor and shop supplies to do their own oil changes.

I hope @RamCares gets involved here and everything gets figured out, no need to fill a lawyers wallet for something this simple.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And they shouldn’t have to fight it, oil and filter receipts are all the evidence that should be required when maintenance records are requested. I don’t think anyone is going to hire a bookkeeper and bill themselves for labor and shop supplies to do their own oil changes.

I hope @RamCares gets involved here and everything gets figured out, no need to fill a lawyers wallet for something this simple.
You are correct. In the eyes of the law doing and documenting your own oil changes is no different than having a third party shop do them. Doesn't stop these OEMs from being cancers.

Manufacturer is on the hook for the lawyer fees if you have to get one involved. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

myles

Reaction score
So I almost bought an EcoDiesel several years back but I decided to wait. I am looking again but this computer chip shortage his thrown a major wrench in ordering any new vehicle. Not the type to just pay sticker price or some pitiful discount. The price will be an issue
I would be purchasing this vehicle as a daily driver and to tow a 6,000 pound RV on occasion. I have never owned a diesel before but there are many aspects that draw me to this one. Economy and towing ability are at the top of the list. I test drove a Ram truck a few years back and absolutely loved it. I ended up buying a Ford EcoBoost F-150 and it was a pretty good truck but it wasn't as nicely appointed as the ram nor did it drive as good. Certainly not as quiet as the ram. Are there any issues with the new generation EcoDiesel? Has anyone regretted buying one? The maintenance sounds like about the same as a gas $$ but I could be wrong. Any imput is helpful thank you very much
1 year and 9 months, 61k miles, the truck is really nice but the engine is on its 2nd oil leak, I'm taking it to the dealer next week.

maintenance is definitely more expensive than gas, fuel filter is $40, oil filter is like $45, and the oil is about $72 online + DEF costs but that about 1 gallon every 1k miles and isn't a huge cost. I love the mileage, I have a 2" mopar lift with 35s & 3.92 gears and still get 20+mpg and I drive pretty aggressively, when I take it easy I can get 26 on the highway going 65mph which is amazing for a full size truck on 35s.

towing with it is awesome, so much better than towing with a gas truck. I have a 6500 pound boat and it tows like a dream even going 85mph.

For ordering, I recommend waiting for the chip shortages to end, I custom ordered my truck the week the ecodiesel became available for ordering and they still gave me 10k off of MSRP, my OTD was $63,800 on a longhorn and MSRP was 68K + TTL + fees

I don't regret buying the truck, honestly love the truck and would buy it again, I just wished the motor would stop leaking, but I think I just drive a lot, my last truck I sold at 108k when the tranny went out, but even before that power steeling motor failed and my ac condenser broke.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
So if a dealer changes the oil, all they provide is **RECEIPT**.

I would sue RAMs tail-end, not just for covering, but also for time wasted and compensation for aggravation.

There is NO Proof that Dealer changes the oil and filter - after they take the vehicle to their service bay. And If anyone had ANY service done at dealer for once, thats enough for reasonable doubt that RAM dealer screwed up.

For my very first oil change, the service dept (who has been fair) didnt know about MS12991 for Ecodiesel and was about to put Rotella in it. They had already given me pep-talk about "this is a $28K motor, you have to be careful blah blah...." And when I asked about MS12991 and why were they about to pour Rotella... they service advisor seemed a bit annoyed. I insisted - and finally when he checked via VIN, lo and behold, came the MS12991 and then he apologized.... but then didnt have a leg to stand on.

I did say "Oh im glad, we saved this $28000 motor" -that day they were speechless. Subsequent visits, they have been "OKAY" - except one oil change, I had SLIGHT drips in my garage/driveway,despite having driven 500 miles.... so took it to them and they claimed "it was just residual oil on cross member". I drove it for 500 miles -they said "you are good to go"... but I insisted and got it in writing from them.

I take very good care of my truck - its garaged, always meticulous maintenance. So if it craps out, it wont be because of owner issue/negligence.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If Diesel stays where it is here $2.99 a gallon, the EcoDiesel with regular maintenance will end up paying for itself around 50,000 miles in ($3200 upgrade over the E-Torque) plus additional filters and such. So it's not 'worth it' for a while but I think that's a shorter interval if you're towing because at full pay load I'm blown away that I'm still getting like 21 MPG.

Users who are viewing this thread