5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie eco questions

traveller09

Reaction score
Where do I start. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my EcoDiesel. (Which I'm waiting for number 4 so don't have one at the moment) I had a 17, 18 and 20. 20 was over the moon in all aspects. Worst mileage ever even with remote starts and winter fuel/driving was 20MPG. Was consistently getting 27+ average when I turned over the key fobs. Fired immediately w/o block heater plugged in down to 10 below. The Europeans know how to build a diesel engine. I'd say don't hesitate!!
Can you elaborate about starting with Key Fob and the effects on MPG? I am not following.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Can you elaborate about starting with Key Fob and the effects on MPG? I am not following.
I'm sorry the way I wrote this commingled what I was trying to get across. I traded in my 2020 Limited which had almost 32,000 miles on it. Around 25,000 is when it must have been really breaking in as my average fuel economy from that point until I traded it (handed over the key fobs) was 27MPG or better. I had a couple tanks that did 30+.

I hope this clarifies this for you if not let me know please!

traveller09

Reaction score
I'm sorry the way I wrote this commingled what I was trying to get across. I traded in my 2020 Limited which had almost 32,000 miles on it. Around 25,000 is when it must have been really breaking in as my average fuel economy from that point until I traded it (handed over the key fobs) was 27MPG or better. I had a couple tanks that did 30+.

I hope this clarifies this for you if not let me know please!
Thanks, that clarifies it. I hope mine gets better with time. I realize it is a Rebel with big tires but I was really hoping for at least mid 20's.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Thanks, that clarifies it. I hope mine gets better with time. I realize it is a Rebel with big tires but I was really hoping for at least mid 20's.
What have you been getting. I'll admit I drive really easy to get what I was doing towards the end.

Nomad

Reaction score
I have 18K on my Eco, this is my second one, I traded in a 14 for the 20. I have never reset my trip computers from the day I bought it and it indicates that my average is currently 28.4. I don't do a lot of towing. Most of the time it is for short trips since I am recently retired. I do use it for 300 mile trips a few times a month and have made a 4800 mile round trip to California and back. I have not had any issues what so ever with it. Getting ready to get my second oil change and the fuel filter change. Then another trip to Colorado.

tom318

Reaction score
I have a 21 ED and coming up on 30k miles this week and its been great. I average 26-29mpg commuting (No load) and 26-30mpg on mostly hwy trips with minimal load. Best I did was 30mpg on a 500mile trip. Came home and still had 495 on the range! I occasionally tow an aluminum flat bed trailer with 2 atvs (~3000lbs total) and typically average 20mpg. Just did a 900mile trip and came back at 22mpg when i pulled into my driveway. Cant beat it especially with the 33gal tank. So far I've been mostly issue free but also haven't even had it a year.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
I would only get the Ecodiesel. The MPG and power is amazing. I tow a race car on an open trailer and it does it effortlessly. I towed my brothers 21 Mastercraft X Star which is at least 8k and it did great. I run about 100 miles every day and I average 28-31 mpg.

MVandale

Reaction score
Where do I start. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my EcoDiesel. (Which I'm waiting for number 4 so don't have one at the moment) I had a 17, 18 and 20. 20 was over the moon in all aspects. Worst mileage ever even with remote starts and winter fuel/driving was 20MPG. Was consistently getting 27+ average when I turned over the key fobs. Fired immediately w/o block heater plugged in down to 10 below. The Europeans know how to build a diesel engine. I'd say don't hesitate!!

hi I’m looking at getting an eco diesel myself and trying to decide on which gear ratio to get. I have a boat I usually tow twice a year and a 3 place snow mobile trailer that I haven’t towed yet but may a couple times a year. Do you have any opinions on a 3.21 vs the 3.91 gear ratio, considering fuel mileage too?

MVandale

Reaction score
I would only get the Ecodiesel. The MPG and power is amazing. I tow a race car on an open trailer and it does it effortlessly. I towed my brothers 21 Mastercraft X Star which is at least 8k and it did great. I run about 100 miles every day and I average 28-31 mpg.
Which gear ratio do you have ?

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
hi I’m looking at getting an eco diesel myself and trying to decide on which gear ratio to get. I have a boat I usually tow twice a year and a 3 place snow mobile trailer that I haven’t towed yet but may a couple times a year. Do you have any opinions on a 3.21 vs the 3.91 gear ratio, considering fuel mileage too?
I'm going from 3 previous 3.21 axles to a 3.92 this time. I have my fingers crossed my mileage isn't going to tank but I believe in the rolling terrain here in eastern Iowa I might actually improve my economy in daily driving. The 3.21 equipped trucks had a habit of downshifting at the whiff of a hill with cruise on sometimes down into 5th gear. (And there was plenty of torque available to lug the hill)

I test drove a 3.92 equipped truck in similar conditions and it only shifted down into 7th once on a fairly steep hill. Returned an indicated 30+ average after that ~20 mile test drive. Engine RPM's are about 250 higher in 8th gear for any given ground speed so at highway speeds it'll be singing but tire/wind/road noise at those speeds still drowns out the engine noise so it was not noticeable.

If you're mainly on highway and/or fairly flat roads I'd stick with the 3.21 to assure the fuel economy. I rolled the dice because of the above explanation and I plan on towing more as the wife and I will be getting a travel trailer and I know it will do much better towing @ highway speeds. (And the tow capacity increases 1700#)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you mean 3.92 gears…and that is what I’d recommend. IMHO, it better to have it than not. I have 3.92 on my Ecodiesel and we have it on our eTorque Laramie…no complaints about MPGs especially with the Ecodiesel.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I'll second this sentiment. With either axle the truck will be AMAZING with the EcoDiesel.

Where the diesel is NOT appropriate is if your commute is short and the engine doesn't have the opportunity to get to full operating temps. To keep condensation and contaminants out of the oil and for the emissions system to function properly it needs to regularly reach full operating temps.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you don't want to drive 80-85mph the 3.92 is great. At those high speeds you'll be turning a lot of RPM.

At 70-72mph you'll get 30MPG no problem and be turning around 1950RPM.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

MVandale

Reaction score
I think you mean 3.92 gears…and that is what I’d recommend. IMHO, it better to have it than not. I have 3.92 on my Ecodiesel and we have it on our eTorque Laramie…no complaints about MPGs especially with the Ecodiesel.
Yes I did mean 3.92… what kind of mileage do you see with the eco diesel and the 3.92? Thanks

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I did mean 3.92… what kind of mileage do you see with the eco diesel and the 3.92? Thanks
I’ve only got 915 miles on it and make it a point to never check MPGs until I’m over 10,000…however, my wife was curious and hand calculated after a run to Victoria, TX indicated 29.8 MPG…and that was doing 67 mph on cruise control. Around town I’m getting 24 on the lie o meter.

MVandale

Reaction score
I'm going from 3 previous 3.21 axles to a 3.92 this time. I have my fingers crossed my mileage isn't going to tank but I believe in the rolling terrain here in eastern Iowa I might actually improve my economy in daily driving. The 3.21 equipped trucks had a habit of downshifting at the whiff of a hill with cruise on sometimes down into 5th gear. (And there was plenty of torque available to lug the hill)

I test drove a 3.92 equipped truck in similar conditions and it only shifted down into 7th once on a fairly steep hill. Returned an indicated 30+ average after that ~20 mile test drive. Engine RPM's are about 250 higher in 8th gear for any given ground speed so at highway speeds it'll be singing but tire/wind/road noise at those speeds still drowns out the engine noise so it was not noticeable.

If you're mainly on highway and/or fairly flat roads I'd stick with the 3.21 to assure the fuel economy. I rolled the dice because of the above explanation and I plan on towing more as the wife and I will be getting a travel trailer and I know it will do much better towing @ highway speeds. (And the tow capacity increases 1700#)
Thanks for the details, it gives me something to think about. The only unknown for me is what I could expect for mileage with the 3.21 gears with the eco diesel. Did you have eco diesel with the 3.21 gears and how was your mileage ? I have no experience with a Diesel engine to know what to expect. Thanks for the info …

tom318

Reaction score
I average 26-28mpg on my tanks. (Coming up on 30k this week) My commute isn’t highway but 40-60mph with a handful of stops. To see good mileage you will need to pay close attention to the way you drive. Conditions mater, rain or head winds then forget it, 23-25mpg. If you have a heavy foot it might be hard to see good numbers. Longer trips I’ve seen 30. Recently did a 900mile trip towing a 16ft trailer with 2 atvs (~3000#s) and overal average was 22mpg. Overall I couldn’t be happier, I have the long bed with 3.92s.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Thanks for the details, it gives me something to think about. The only unknown for me is what I could expect for mileage with the 3.21 gears with the eco diesel. Did you have eco diesel with the 3.21 gears and how was your mileage ? I have no experience with a Diesel engine to know what to expect. Thanks for the info …
All 4 of my RAM trucks have been EcoDiesels (it's in my signature). The 2017 and 2018 averaged about 25 MPG overall. The 2020 I just traded in was consistently getting 27+ MPG average in my mixed driving and easily would touch or break 30 on highway driving.

As I've previously expressed, you driving style/mileage is going to determine if the ED is the engine for you. You're going to want to consistently drive decent length trips to get the engine up to operating temps and regularly longer trips yet so that the DPF regen can do its job. If not you won't be happy with the performance and longevity of the truck.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7500 miles in I love it. I think we’re averaging 24MPG but 20 when @ full pay load (not towing).

I’m prepared to pay for the additional maintenace but I do all of my own service And have already bought he first 3 oil changes worth of parts needed. Still need to order some rear-dif fluid.
A good friend of mine was recently denied warranty coverage for his 42,000 eco diesel main bearing failure because he does his own maintenance. Even though he had oil receipts they said he couldn’t prove he changed the oil. Total BS as I also do all my own maintenance. I am going to do a separate thread to let people know these engines are still having catastrophic failures and Chrysler is not standing behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread