5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck help/advice

A few options pick one of each?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaRamie

Reaction score
Honestly I dont have any issues with the 3.92 ratio. We still get good mileage with it and I expect to do well once summer hits. I would rather have it there for when I need it than not.

The truck does sit a little low (enough you can't get your head under the front air dam on a creeper) so the off road group would help that if you would be somewhere front clearance is an issue. So if cost is more than the need leave it off, it's ok on ours, haven't had any problems.

As far as the uconnect I like the 8.4 personally. More than big enough and has been around longer than the 12 so i know it should be good to go, plus cost to replace down the line if something happens.

Ranchram

Reaction score
Alright so after another week of soul searching, budgeting, and reading every thread I can find on Off road groups, axel ratios and MPG I’m back to the Laramie, 4x4 crew cab, hemi with etorque, sport appearance, bed utility, level 1 equip, rear wheelhouse liners, front and rear floormats, rear under seat storage, rambox, trailer brake, 33 gal tank.

But what I’m up in the air about and desperately need help/advice is the axel ratio? off road group or not? (I like the look of the lift and would never go more then that but also will never be actually off-roading) and 12” or 8.4” uconnect? Any and all advice and recommendations are appreciated since I cannot see one in person or drive one :( thank you!
Creep0321: as a complete aside and in jest. It has been over thirty years since I graduated from air assault school so can you remind me the pack points required to sling load a humvee?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"axel ratio? off road group or not? (I like the look of the lift and would never go more then that but also will never be actually off-roading) and 12” or 8.4” uconnect?"

3.92. In my opinion it's the proper ratio for a heavier loaded up truck. Again there's no "Wrong" answer, but I say 3.92
My Gen4 rebel had it, Gen5 has it.
If you get a 3.21 your life will go on.

Offroad group, I would.
You might change your mind on not wanting to wheel it in a few years.
If you don't get it, life will go on.

12" or the 8.4?
No wrong answer, 12in is super cool, I say 8.4
It's a big screen, enough to see what you like, pocket the rest.

There isn't really a wrong answer man.
Look my truck's a rebel without e-torque, I specifically didn't want the air suspenion and all that.
There's guys who have all of them.
We love our trucks all the same

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Some people swear by their 12" systems... and i get it. It is pretty rad.

But I opted against it because it was expensive, i have a previous generation "regular" uconnect in my Jeep and its super easy and big enough, and any issues are easily resokved by dealer for the regular uconnect 8.4 with software or whatever.

Plus I like having knobs for certain c9nsole needs. Having them on the screen too is great. But knobs.. quick and easy.

I imagined being on a bumpy-ish road and trying to adjust AC or something while trucks jiggling around, with a big ole screen.

There are times the tru k or jeep is jiggling arpund and i cant steady my finger well enough to hit a button on the 8.4. I couldnt imagine being in that situation for a load of other button needs on the screen.

The Apline 10 speaker... look, Alpine, HK... theyre both gonna sound awesome. Period. My Alpine is bass easy and high treble easy, and mids blend well to anywhere to fill gaps. Its a GREAT system.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Im just making a case for saving cash if ur looking for a perspective.

Also, the 8.4 screen is silky smooth in responding to finger swipes. Pinch zooming maps, etc.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Creep0321: as a complete aside and in jest. It has been over thirty years since I graduated from air assault school so can you remind me the pack points required to sling load a humvee?
Honestly, no. Haha. I never went through pathfinder or air assault in my old days of being a Recon Marine, and now as a pilot, as long as the cert sheet Is filled out, and our FE says it’s good, I’ll pick it up .

Creep0321

Reaction score
Honestly I dont have any issues with the 3.92 ratio. We still get good mileage with it and I expect to do well once summer hits. I would rather have it there for when I need it than not.

The truck does sit a little low (enough you can't get your head under the front air dam on a creeper) so the off road group would help that if you would be somewhere front clearance is an issue. So if cost is more than the need leave it off, it's ok on ours, haven't had any problems.

As far as the uconnect I like the 8.4 personally. More than big enough and has been around longer than the 12 so i know it should be good to go, plus cost to replace down the line if something happens.

Mind if I ask what kind of gas mileage you get on average?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright so after another week of soul searching, budgeting, and reading every thread I can find on Off road groups, axel ratios and MPG I’m back to the Laramie, 4x4 crew cab, hemi with etorque, sport appearance, bed utility, level 1 equip, rear wheelhouse liners, front and rear floormats, rear under seat storage, rambox, trailer brake, 33 gal tank.

But what I’m up in the air about and desperately need help/advice is the axel ratio? off road group or not? (I like the look of the lift and would never go more then that but also will never be actually off-roading) and 12” or 8.4” uconnect? Any and all advice and recommendations are appreciated since I cannot see one in person or drive one :( thank you!

You’ve mentioned the possibility of towing, 3.92 all day long. Can you tow with 3.21, sure, not as much though and why leave that on the table when it’s so cheap to get it in the beginning. With the commute you’ve mentioned, MPGs are not going to be that much different. Do the math for the length of time you’ll own the vehicle, is 1-2 mpg really going to cost you that much?

As for 8.4 or 12, you have to look at your budget. 12 is neat but if you’re “budgeting”, it’s an easy option to leave out. The 8.4c and Alpine is a fine system.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I mean definitely trying to keep cost down, obviously haha. But still spending roughly 50k on a truck, not really budgeting haha. But I think I will do the 3.92 and ORG. And probably save the 1200 for the 12” and add a level and sidesteps.

LaRamie

Reaction score
I mean definitely trying to keep cost down, obviously haha. But still spending roughly 50k on a truck, not really budgeting haha. But I think I will do the 3.92 and ORG. And probably save the 1200 for the 12” and add a level and sidesteps.
Yeah it is a lot to spend, it was really close for my wife and I on buying vs leasing. But it was such a better payment it worked for us to lease financially and I think the dealer treated us pretty well. And to your earlier question we consistently get between 16 and 17 with the weather cold so I could see it bump up maybe even once its warm again.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I believe Husky has an after market under seat storage. May want to check it out. I believe others will come out with under seat storage in the future.

Creep0321

Reaction score
"axel ratio? off road group or not? (I like the look of the lift and would never go more then that but also will never be actually off-roading) and 12” or 8.4” uconnect?"

3.92. In my opinion it's the proper ratio for a heavier loaded up truck. Again there's no "Wrong" answer, but I say 3.92
My Gen4 rebel had it, Gen5 has it.
If you get a 3.21 your life will go on.

Offroad group, I would.
You might change your mind on not wanting to wheel it in a few years.
If you don't get it, life will go on.

12" or the 8.4?
No wrong answer, 12in is super cool, I say 8.4
It's a big screen, enough to see what you like, pocket the rest.

There isn't really a wrong answer man.
Look my truck's a rebel without e-torque, I specifically didn't want the air suspenion and all that.
There's guys who have all of them.
We love our trucks all the same
Mind if I ask what your payload sticker rating is? Just curious ha.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Since with the heavy options I’m looking at I’d be more limited by payload/tongue weight, right? So would it be better to just stick with the 3.21? Seeing people with 10-12 mpg is scaring me a bit ha.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mind if I ask what your payload sticker rating is? Just curious ha.

Why:
- Rebel package is heavy. Tires, Transfer case, skid plates and skid plates and skid plates, 33gallon tank, and the Ramboxes I think are 120ish lbs I think.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since with the heavy options I’m looking at I’d be more limited by payload/younger weight, right? So would it be better to just stick with the 3.21? Seeing people with 10-12 mpg is scaring me a bit ha.

Honestly if you do want some payload then skimp on heavy options.
Etorque, air suspension, ramboxes, the bigger fueltank, offroad group, the moonroof I believe all add weight.
The more you pick the heavier it gets.
Skipping those will also bring down your cost.

If your primary concern is MPG, I would get a lighter truck with 3.21, and maybe etorque.
Note, with my "heavy" rebel, 5.7 Hemi, no etorque, 33gallon tank, un-broken in duratrac tires, driven like a younger man in a "heavily city" driving environment with stoplights hills and take offs? I'm getting 13.5-14mpg.
Not broken in engine either, under 1000 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Honestly if you do want some payload then skimp on heavy options.
Etorque, air suspension, ramboxes, the bigger fueltank, offroad group, the moonroof I believe all add weight.
The more you pick the heavier it gets.
Skipping those will also bring down your cost.

If your primary concern is MPG, I would get a lighter truck with 3.21, and maybe etorque.
Note, with my "heavy" rebel, 5.7 Hemi, no etorque, 33gallon tank, un-broken in duratrac tires, driven like a younger man in a "heavily city" driving environment with stoplights hills and take offs? I'm getting 13.5-14mpg.
Not broken in engine either, under 1000 miles.
Yeah... It all depends on commute length, traffic, etc.
I have an extremely short commute (< 1 mile) so my mileage will stink no matter what (~9 MPG city) and I have the 3.21...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... It all depends on commute length, traffic, etc.
I have an extremely short commute (< 1 mile) so my mileage will stink no matter what (~9 MPG city) and I have the 3.21...
Why are you driving <1 mile? lol

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Some people, like me, do not like to be too far from their car... i can tell you...1 mile would start making me sweat for sure, uconnect gps or not.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since with the heavy options I’m looking at I’d be more limited by payload/younger weight, right? So would it be better to just stick with the 3.21? Seeing people with 10-12 mpg is scaring me a bit ha.

I have the Level 1 Laramie 4x4 with 3.92. I drive conservatively and average from 15.5 to 16.5 MPG in mixed city/highway (to and from work). On a 200 mile road trip that I took, I got 17.8 to 18.5 MPG running at 77 MPH. Running at 70 MPH on the highway I averaged 19.6 MPG. I live in Florida where there are no hills; so my averages may be higher than some. However, I think these people reporting 10-12 MPG have a lead foot or don't maintain a constant speed. I am completely satisfied with the mileage I get. For me, 3.92 and Limited Slip were deal breakers because I bought a truck for work and performance; not for gas mileage.

Since I'm writing, I'll give you my two cents on some other options:
1. 8.4" vs 12". I have the 8.4" no NAV and I like it. I don't miss NAV because I have a phone and a Garmin. Personally, I have no need for the 12" UConnect.
2. Level 1 vs Level 2. I have Level 1 and it is fine. The only thing that I don't get with Level 1 (that I would want) is the 360 degree camera. I don't care about lane assist or forward collision; I know how to drive.
3. Off Road Group. Initially I wanted it; but in the end it didn't matter. I will put the MOPAR 2" Lift and some bigger tires on my truck when the factory tires wear out. Skid Plates are cheap and easy to do yourself; so they really shouldn't be a decision maker for you. Lifts look cool; but I can do this myself later. Plus if you are truly worried about gas mileage; a lift and big tires are a sure way to kill it.
4. Towing. If you get the tow package; you will probably regret it unless you like the giant RAM towing mirrors. Skip the Tow package and just order Trailer Brake Control.
5. Rear Wheelhouse Liners. I have these. There isn't much to them but they make the truck look better. I like them.
6. Floor Mats. I have the MOPAR front and rear rubber floor mats; this was a must for me and they are quite nice and functional (keeps things clean).
7. Fuel Tank. I have the standard tank and get around 400 miles out of a fill up. The 33 may be convenient at times; but not really necessary for me.
8. RAM Box. Nope, not me. Really, I just don't like the look or the fact that they lower your payload and your usable bed space. I'll get the MOPAR sliding tool box for $500 if I need it; then at least I can take it out when I don't want to use it.
9. Under Seat Storage. I don't have it; I like the flat floor with my seats folded up (I think you lose that with under seat storage). There are two smaller bins (that are standard) by the rear doors to stow things like tie down straps, gloves, etc....they work for me.
10. Axle. I know I said it before; but yes, get the 3.92. Its a truck. I think you gain more with the 3.92 than you lose; the gas mileage isn't that different.
11. Something you didn't mention. I didn't see you mention E-Locker or Limited Slip. There is a lot of debate about which is best. We can leave that to another thread; but get one or the other. Without them, you can expect to spin tires from a stop or around corners when the roads are wet. I have limited slip and have no worries about spinning tires when I pull out.
12. I think you mentioned a 2018 or 2019 RAM earlier. After having a 2018 as a loaner I can tell you that the 2019 is a HUGE improvement. Go with a 2019 New RAM (not 2019 Classic).

Users who are viewing this thread