5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck help/advice

A few options pick one of each?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do have a wife.... haha. If you are cruising at 65/70 on the highway though, what is your MPG, roughly. With my commute (and this will be my daily driver) being mostly highway, I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly couldn’t tell you. The only time I find myself on a highway, I am towing my boat. With the boat 3500 +/- lbs., 12-13 mpg.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I honestly couldn’t tell you. The only time I find myself on a highway, I am towing my boat. With the boat 3500 +/- lbs., 12-13 mpg.
And that’s kind of why I’m still up in the air, most people that recommend the 3.92, never drive in the highway it seems like. And after reading this thread, https://www.ramforum.com/threads/3-21-gear-ratio-anyone-actually-towing-with-it.43001/ I’m leaning more towards the 3.21.... I think, I’m indecisive ha. Already chopped the rambox off the table, and the wife chopped the 12” screen.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I've nailed down pretty much everything I want, and for me, the biggest thing about the level 1 and level 2 equipment groups is that you have to get level 2 in order to get the advanced safety group. And I really want the advanced safety group to get adaptive cruise control and the surround view camera.

Still torn on the rear end though. I'm buying a truck because my next big purchase will be a boat, so I will be towing. Not sure the 3.92 is worth the gas mileage hit for the amount that I'll tow though.

If you plan on towing a 7k pound travel trailer (wet), keep in mind that they can be tongue heavy, so you are looking at possibly 1k lbs of tongue weight. Check out the payload sticker thread, and you might be surprised to learn how big a chunk that will take out of your available payload, especially considering you still have to get 5 people into the cab.
Dropped the ram box for payload reasons .

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And that’s kind of why I’m still up in the air, most people that recommend the 3.92, never drive in the highway it seems like. And after reading this thread, https://www.ramforum.com/threads/3-21-gear-ratio-anyone-actually-towing-with-it.43001/ I’m leaning more towards the 3.21.... I think, I’m indecisive ha. Already chopped the rambox off the table, and the wife chopped the 12” screen.

What is the actual difference in monthly spending? $15-$20? I’ll be forward here, if $20 a month is going to bust your budget, maybe consider a much cheaper truck.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I’m just pretty “common sense” I can afford the truck, that’s not an issue, but it’s hard for me to justify in my head an option that is going to cost me more, for little to no benefit, for me. I don’t plan on adding larger tires, never did with my last ram I had for 7 years, and I won’t hit the tow capacity with the 3.21.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m just pretty “common sense” I can afford the truck, that’s not an issue, but it’s hard for me to justify in my head an option that is going to cost me more, for little to no benefit, for me. I don’t plan on adding larger tires, never did with my last ram I had for 7 years, and I won’t hit the tow capacity with the 3.21.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, which is great and was the intention of your thread. I will however leave you with this as I consider myself to be a "common sense" person as well. I am on my 10th truck (3rd Ram - not sequentially), I've owned an 8k lb. travel trailer, I've traded a truck in for it's lack of towing ability. My truck is configured the way it is based off of my personal experience. If my prior experience were travelling 20-30 miles on the highway to the office the last 25 years, no towing, no bigger tires, I'd have 3.21s all day long. I only contribute to your thread because I have experience that if you have a similar life path with family, camping and towing, my experience could help.

I don't know if you and your family camp now but if you do, talk with other campers who tow trailers and find out opinion on it. Vehicle discussion and configuration and a few beers has been a great way to meet people and have a good time.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Sounds like you've made up your mind, which is great and was the intention of your thread. I will however leave you with this as I consider myself to be a "common sense" person as well. I am on my 10th truck (3rd Ram - not sequentially), I've owned an 8k lb. travel trailer, I've traded a truck in for it's lack of towing ability. My truck is configured the way it is based off of my personal experience. If my prior experience were travelling 20-30 miles on the highway to the office the last 25 years, no towing, no bigger tires, I'd have 3.21s all day long. I only contribute to your thread because I have experience that if you have a similar life path with family, camping and towing, my experience could help.

I don't know if you and your family camp now but if you do, talk with other campers who tow trailers and find out opinion on it. Vehicle discussion and configuration and a few beers has been a great way to meet people and have a good time.
The worst thing is I’m still flipping back n forth in my head haha. And I’m stuck in Germany so camping here is.... different. And everyone here tows travel trailers with bmw station wagons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ha. I do sincerely appreciate the advice and help. Even if I wind up going against it, maybe it will help someone else. My daily commute will be about 2 miles “city” and 10 miles interstate (one way).

Creep0321

Reaction score
And I went with the majority of the votes on here. And guidance from those with more experience than I. I placed my order, with the 3.92, Off road package, 12” screen (wife gave in) and NO etorque.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now the wait begins..... I know you and your wife will enjoy the new Ram!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I went with the majority of the votes on here. And guidance from those with more experience than I. I placed my order, with the 3.92, Off road package, 12” screen (wife gave in) and NO etorque.

12”, nice. Yeah, I watch a lot of Top Gear and The Grand Tour. Camping is definitely different over there.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
It only takes .1% of your total driving time to error into a disaster while towing.

Does it matter if 90 or 95% of the time you wont be towing? I dont think so, personally.

That 5 to 10% is a LOT of time to have that .1% of the time mistake.

Creep0321

Reaction score
It only takes .1% of your total driving time to error into a disaster while towing.

Does it matter if 90 or 95% of the time you wont be towing? I dont think so, personally.

That 5 to 10% is a LOT of time to have that .1% of the time mistake.
Makes sense.... ordered the 3.92

Creep0321

Reaction score
This is before any rebates available at pickup (April 2/3) plus USAA 1k rebate. Also before Tax/Title/doc fee.
AC937343-02A5-4876-B202-63E1D08DC513.png

Users who are viewing this thread