5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck help/advice

A few options pick one of each?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Creep0321

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if this is the correct forum, so please move if the mods see fit. I am looking to purchase a new (or used) Ram when I return to the states in March. I used to have a 2007 1500 Bighorn Hemi 4x4.

Now I’m looking for advice to what best fits my needs, from the experience on this forum. I have narrowed it down to wanting an 18/19 (really love the 19 interior) Laramie or higher, Crew cab 4x4, preferably with ORP, Everything else is undecided from 1500 to 2500, what engine, and gear ratio etc....

I will have a 20 mile commute (90% highway) and would love “good”gas mileage. However in the future there is a possibility of towing a travel trailer for a family of 5 (5k dry weight maybe) Budget is 40-45k. Please help ha....

And can somebody nail down the big differences between the Laramie level 1 and level 2 equip package?

RPeezy

Reaction score
And can somebody nail down the big differences between the Laramie level 1 and level 2 equip package?

I've nailed down pretty much everything I want, and for me, the biggest thing about the level 1 and level 2 equipment groups is that you have to get level 2 in order to get the advanced safety group. And I really want the advanced safety group to get adaptive cruise control and the surround view camera.

Still torn on the rear end though. I'm buying a truck because my next big purchase will be a boat, so I will be towing. Not sure the 3.92 is worth the gas mileage hit for the amount that I'll tow though.

If you plan on towing a 7k pound travel trailer (wet), keep in mind that they can be tongue heavy, so you are looking at possibly 1k lbs of tongue weight. Check out the payload sticker thread, and you might be surprised to learn how big a chunk that will take out of your available payload, especially considering you still have to get 5 people into the cab.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?co=US&pid=497&bt_field_name[]=source&bt_field_value[]=web&pc=ram-ram15-19-NY#{%22issue_id%22:545943,%22numpages%22:1,%22page%22:1}

If you go to the Ram ebrochure (above) they have the various motors and differentials loads and towing. It is further explained in the owner's manual which is accessible on this website above in Resources. You may have to do some analysis to figure the correct balance of load and towing.

Good luck on your price point. My MSRP was 49,865 without doc fee. I paid 41,500 with doc fee (495). Don't let the MSRP intimidate you.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Level 1 Laramie group is good for my wife and I, we love it, of course we wanted sport appearance so level 2 was out the window there. With the 3.92 in ours her daily commute is 26 miles 2 lane 55 mph with some hills and turns, 10 miles probably of interstate, and 5 miles or so of in town and average 16-17 mpg. If you have towing in the future for sure I would want the 3.92, plus it gives you some good low end if you need it say merging onto interstate (our favorite lol). Our truck msrp was at 56 and priced to us at 51 and change.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Right now I’m looking at a 1500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab 5’7” box, hemi with etorque, 3.92, 33gal tank, trailer tow pkg, off road pkg , sport appearance, level 1 equipment, bed utility, wheelhouse liners, rear under seat storage, rubber floor mats (MSRP at 56065 as per website)..... what would be a realistic target for that?

Also what are opinions on rambox?

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Right now I’m looking at a 1500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab 5’7” box, hemi with etorque, 3.92, 33gal tank, trailer tow pkg, off road pkg , sport appearance, level 1 equipment, bed utility, wheelhouse liners, rear under seat storage, rubber floor mats (MSRP at 56065 as per website)..... what would be a realistic target for that?

Also what are opinions on rambox?
Hi Creep,

You will have to seriously consider if you want to tow a travel trailer in your future. If so I'd be real cautious about the options you pick. For instance the off road package & rambox are heavy options.. you aren't going to have much payload after that. I'd also not take the trailer tow package (you will lose 360 and power folding mirrors )

Hope this helps!

RPeezy

Reaction score
I've decided against the Rambox purely based on weight. It looks like they will eat up about 163 lbs of payload, based on the payload sticker thread. Regarding the off-road package, you could always remove the skid plates if you needed to get back some payload.

Creep0321

Reaction score
The travel trailer is not a definite purchase, and even if it is a purchase it would be towed max 6-8 times per year. The off road group i really like since I will do more light off roading for hunting, and I really like the 1" lift. If i drop the trailer tow package, I don't see any other way to get the trailer brake though right?

Creep0321

Reaction score
I don’t see it as an option on the Laramie.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t see it as an option on the Laramie.
The trailer brake controller can be added. The build process is not always correct. It would not let me put a nav in my build but no problem at dealership. If you do a search there is information on the forum with part number and all. If you do the tow you get the big mirrors and lose electrical retraction and heat I believe. Again do a search. There are 2 plugs for the brake controller. One is for the brake controller and the other is for the display. Some have added an after market brake controller (1 plug). From what I gather it works but does not show up on the display. Even if it can not be added in the build process the OEM can be added by the dealership. If you do a search the information will come up. Best of luck on your build. Also get a brochure via mail - it may put you in the direct market with some coupons.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I found it, I must have missed it completely. I did another build, a Rebel 4x4 crew cab 5'7", hemi with etorque, 33 gal tank, level 2 equip, bed utility group, spray in bed liner, rear wheelhouse liners, 9 speakers with sub, and trailer brake control. came in a bit below my Laramie build at just 55,915. Only thing I like more about the Laramie is the leather interior, and im not sure im a huge fan of the red/black combo.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found it, I must have missed it completely. I did another build, a Rebel 4x4 crew cab 5'7", hemi with etorque, 33 gal tank, level 2 equip, bed utility group, spray in bed liner, rear wheelhouse liners, 9 speakers with sub, and trailer brake control. came in a bit below my Laramie build at just 55,915. Only thing I like more about the Laramie is the leather interior, and im not sure im a huge fan of the red/black combo.

Take a look at my signature to get an idea of what my buildsheet was.
My payload sticker is 1308lbs.
With 1000lbs tongue weight on a trailer, I would have 308lbs left!
The rebel, due to the offroad group, the skidplates, etc? Heavy package.

I'm honestly thinking for your budget, 40-45k, and wanting a better payload? (Less options)
The Bighorn might be best. Just a thought!

But if you have wiggleroom on the trailer weight and budget? The rebel is awesome, I love mine.

Creep0321

Reaction score
There is definitely wiggle room on the trailer, like I said its not even a definite purchase. Budget, might be able to squeeze a bit more, we will see.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is definitely wiggle room on the trailer, like I said its not even a definite purchase. Budget, might be able to squeeze a bit more, we will see.

Hmm, take a look at the Bighorn North Edition (in the configuration thing on ramtrucks.com)
Is that close to what you're looking for? Price/features wise?

Creep0321

Reaction score
Hmm, take a look at the Bighorn North Edition (in the configuration thing on ramtrucks.com)
Is that close to what you're looking for? Price/features wise?
Pretty damn close! Yes and drops the MSRP to 47 and change, but no option for leather unfortunately.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Ok after doing some soul searching, and realizing my initial wants of the Laramie/Rebel do not meet my needs, or Budget. I have built up a Big Horn Crew Cab, 5'7", 4x4, hemi with etorque, 26 gal tank, 3.92 rear end, off road package, black appearance package, Level 2 equipment group, premium LED lighting, rear wheelhouse liners, blackdiesel grey interior, rear under seat storage, front and rear floormats, and trailer brake control. MSRP $51,215. What would be a good, yet realistic target price for that? And does anyone know a good dealer in the central FL area that is easy to work with via Email? Since im out of the country for a while.

I cannot seem to add the bed utility group which i would like for the spray in liner and tie downs.....

Creep0321

Reaction score
Alright so after another week of soul searching, budgeting, and reading every thread I can find on Off road groups, axel ratios and MPG I’m back to the Laramie, 4x4 crew cab, hemi with etorque, sport appearance, bed utility, level 1 equip, rear wheelhouse liners, front and rear floormats, rear under seat storage, rambox, trailer brake, 33 gal tank.

But what I’m up in the air about and desperately need help/advice is the axel ratio? off road group or not? (I like the look of the lift and would never go more then that but also will never be actually off-roading) and 12” or 8.4” uconnect? Any and all advice and recommendations are appreciated since I cannot see one in person or drive one :( thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread