5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck help/advice

A few options pick one of each?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Counterpoint... ;)

1. 8.4" vs 12": I have the 12" and I love it. Will never go back to smaller screen if given the option. Allows to see so much more, specially in navigation, to monitor real-time traffic, etc.

2. Level 1 vs Level 2: I have Level 2 (Limited), lane assist, forward collision, the works; I also know how to drive, but no one is immune to distractions every now and then. Plus, if my wife or kids were to drive my truck, I want them to have the safest truck I could buy. This was it.

3. Off Road Group: I don't have a need for this either.

4. Towing. If you get the tow package; you will probably regret it unless you like the giant RAM towing mirrors. Skip the Tow package and just order Trailer Brake Control. Agree

5. Rear Wheelhouse Liners. I have these. There isn't much to them but they make the truck look better. I like them. Agree. I have them in front and rear. Great addition to keep crud out

6. Floor Mats. I have the MOPAR front and rear rubber floor mats; this was a must for me and they are quite nice and functional (keeps things clean). Agree

7. Fuel Tank. I have the 33 gal tank. I hate stopping for gas, so a larger tank allows me to go longer without filling up.

8. RAM Box. Nope, not me. Really, I just don't like the look or the fact that they lower your payload and your usable bed space. I'll get the MOPAR sliding tool box for $500 if I need it; then at least I can take it out when I don't want to use it. Agree.

9. Under Seat Storage. I have it. Very useful, and it folds our of the way when not in use. Great feature. I keep misc tools and safety equipment umbrella, and sunshade under it.

10. Axle. I have the 3.21. I don't tow, and enjoy the better MPG, even if it's a slight difference. When I loaded the bed with 1000 lbs of mulch in the back, I thought it would be sluggish, but nope, it behaved as if it was empty. If you tow heavy then I can see justifying it. If not, you will pay for it in efficiency, specially if you drive over 70MPH and the RPMs get up there.

11. Something you didn't mention. I didn't see you mention E-Locker or Limited Slip. There is a lot of debate about which is best. We can leave that to another thread; but get one or the other. Without them, you can expect to spin tires from a stop or around corners when the roads are wet. I have limited slip and have no worries about spinning tires when I pull out. Agree

12. I think you mentioned a 2018 or 2019 RAM earlier. After having a 2018 as a loaner I can tell you that the 2019 is a HUGE improvement. Go with a 2019 New RAM (not 2019 Classic). Agree

Cheers,
Neurobit

Creep0321

Reaction score
Tried to place my order, but was told I can’t till the 1st... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ more time to contemplate and research I suppose.

Creep0321

Reaction score
10. Axle. I have the 3.21. I don't tow, and enjoy the better MPG, even if it's a slight difference. When I loaded the bed with 1000 lbs of mulch in the back, I thought it would be sluggish, but nope, it behaved as if it was empty. If you tow heavy then I can see justifying it. If not, you will pay for it in efficiency, specially if you drive over 70MPH and the RPMs get up there.

Out of curiosity why do you think your only getting 12.0 MPG even with the 3.21 axel?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Out of curiosity why do you think your only getting 12.0 MPG even with the 3.21 axel?
My daily commute is less than a mile. Kills the MPG on every vehicle I’ve had. Even on Diesels. And the only reason I get 12 is because I take it out on the Fwy on weekends to stretch it’s legs, otherwise it’s around 8.5-9.5 MPG.

The upside is that I fill up every three weeks or so. ;)

Creep0321

Reaction score
I added a poll, for things I’m still unsure of haha, most of my driving will be highway 30 ish miles per day with 3-5 city miles. If I tow in the future it will be a travel trailer no larger than 5200 dry.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish there were less options. Every time I read a different thread I change my mind on what I think I want. And not being able to go to a dealer, look at in person and test drive this is difficult.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
Hey Creep,
First, thanks for your service (USAF ret. here). I'm in the same boat as you as I'm looking to buy a Ram sometime in the next 4-6 months so have been cruising the forums to learn as much as I can. Here's my .02.
My experience has been to get what you'll regret NOT having. Gear ratios: You might make do with 3.21, but if you get it you can't go 3.92 later. Same with the off road group. If you need it later on, you'll regret not getting it from the beginning. All the other stuff, 8.4 vs 12, ramboxes, etorque, etc. None of those will keep you from going off road or towing a big-a$$ trailer; however, the lack of proper gear ratio, tow controller, off-road group, etc. will probably either prevent you from doing something with your truck or make it more dangerous. IMO, sweating a couple MPGs in regards to the 3.21 or etorque clouds the real issue - what do you want to do in your truck and what equipment is required to let you do it.
Best.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Creep,
First, thanks for your service (USAF ret. here). I'm in the same boat as you as I'm looking to buy a Ram sometime in the next 4-6 months so have been cruising the forums to learn as much as I can. Here's my .02.
My experience has been to get what you'll regret NOT having. Gear ratios: You might make do with 3.21, but if you get it you can't go 3.92 later. Same with the off road group. If you need it later on, you'll regret not getting it from the beginning. All the other stuff, 8.4 vs 12, ramboxes, etorque, etc. None of those will keep you from going off road or towing a big-a$$ trailer; however, the lack of proper gear ratio, tow controller, off-road group, etc. will probably either prevent you from doing something with your truck or make it more dangerous. IMO, sweating a couple MPGs in regards to the 3.21 or etorque clouds the real issue - what do you want to do in your truck and what equipment is required to let you do it.
Best.
I agree with most of what you are saying....especially the gear ratios and tow controller. However, you can purchase the MOPAR 2" lift (or any other lift) and some bigger tires later on and basically get the same benefit as Off Road Group; you can even add the skid plates cheap. Off Road group does come with E-Locker (although I prefer limited slip). The Off Road group only gives you a 1" lift; so it is likely that after you own the truck for a couple years you will be lifting it more anyway (especially if you really do go off road). Initially I wanted the Off Road group until I realized I would probably want to do my own lift and tires later on anyway.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Hey Creep,
Best.
From reading many threads though, the 3.92 isn’t required for the size TT I’m looking at right? And since 90-95% of my driving will be unloaded wouldn’t the 3.21 make sense? I think I’m going to go wit the off-road group and 3.21. I owned a 2007 ram big horn and all I ever did was level it. I don’t see myself ever wanting to go more then 1” lift ( plus a level)

Creep0321

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you are saying....especially the gear ratios and tow controller. However, you can purchase the MOPAR 2" lift (or any other lift) and some bigger tires later on and basically get the same benefit as Off Road Group; you can even add the skid plates cheap. Off Road group does come with E-Locker (although I prefer limited slip). The Off Road group only gives you a 1" lift; so it is likely that after you own the truck for a couple years you will be lifting it more anyway (especially if you really do go off road). Initially I wanted the Off Road group until I realized I would probably want to do my own lift and tires later on anyway.
If I could get the limited slip in place of the elocker I probably would. But I don’t ever see myself wanting more then a 1” lift and level. I had a 2007 1500 for 8 years and only leveled it.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
From reading many threads though, the 3.92 isn’t required for the size TT I’m looking at right? And since 90-95% of my driving will be unloaded wouldn’t the 3.21 make sense? I think I’m going to go wit the off-road group and 3.21. I owned a 2007 ram big horn and all I ever did was level it. I don’t see myself ever wanting to go more then 1” lift ( plus a level)

From what I've learned, you have to be cautious about that weight. You mentioned a 5600 dry weight; don't forget that adding propane, food, water, clothes, chairs, pots/pans, etc. Increases the weight of the TT so that 5600 lbs could end up closer to 6600. Since the max trailer weight for a V8 etorque 4x4 w/5.7 bed is 8090 lbs, personally, I'd feel better with the 3.92 which gives me over 3000 lbs more tow capacity. Meaning the truck doesn't have to work as hard to tow a heavy TT up hills/mountains than a 3.21 (at least, that's the consensus among the opinions I've read). Just my opinion. For $95 more, a 3.92 seems to me to be worth the peace-of-mind, especially if you option-up your truck.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Etorque is off my options, wife talked me out of it pretty easy ha.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get the 3.21; your upgrade options are limited or at the very least extremely expensive. An ideal gear ratio would be 3.55; but I think its a very limited option. I don't know why so many people are opposed to the 3.92; the gas mileage is not that bad. I still average 15.5 to 16.8 in everyday driving with a lot of stop and go. Highway, I am between 18.6 and 19.6 depending upon speed (would probably be over 20 MPG under 70 MPH). With 3.92 you will get more payload/towing ability for one. A bonus to the 3.92 is that it really moves when you get on it. The 3.21 RAM 4x4 I recently had as a loaner felt like a dog on acceleration compared to my 3.92 RAM 4x4.

Creep0321

Reaction score
If you get the 3.21; your upgrade options are limited or at the very least extremely expensive. An ideal gear ratio would be 3.55; but I think its a very limited option. I don't know why so many people are opposed to the 3.92; the gas mileage is not that bad. I still average 15.5 to 16.8 in everyday driving with a lot of stop and go. Highway, I am between 18.6 and 19.6 depending upon speed (would probably be over 20 MPG under 70 MPH). With 3.92 you will get more payload/towing ability for one. A bonus to the 3.92 is that it really moves when you get on it. The 3.21 RAM 4x4 I recently had as a loaner felt like a dog on acceleration compared to my 3.92 RAM 4x4.
What do you mean by upgrade options would be limited?

Creep0321

Reaction score
I know folks always say to go with 3.92 if you plan on lifting/ bigger tires..... does the Off road package fall into that? What about leveling the ORP?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know folks always say to go with 3.92 if you plan on lifting/ bigger tires..... does the Off road package fall into that? What about leveling the ORP?

All of the models with the exception of a Rebel come with approximately 32” tires, including the ORP. Rebel has 33”.

If you get an ORP, you’ll probably want to fill the wheel wells a little more with new tires. Leveling can be done with several different aftermarket packages available that have been talked about here many times.

FWIW, get the 3.92s. There are too many benefits to them. The only negative I can think of would be fuels costs and how much are you really spending? Maybe $15-20 difference per month.

Creep0321

Reaction score
All of the models with the exception of a Rebel come with approximately 32” tires, including the ORP. Rebel has 33”.

If you get an ORP, you’ll probably want to fill the wheel wells a little more with new tires. Leveling can be done with several different aftermarket packages available that have been talked about here many times.

FWIW, get the 3.92s. There are too many benefits to them. The only negative I can think of would be fuels costs and how much are you really spending? Maybe $15-20 difference per month.
Mind if I ask what your averaging for MPG?

Also what are the “benifits” of the 3.92? I don’t see a truck as a race car, so being “quicker off the line” doesn’t appeal to me. As far as towing, I’ll be more limited by tongue weight from what I can tell and towing no more than 7-7500 lbs wet (MAX) so the upgraded towing capacity doesn’t seem to be needed?

What am I missing?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mind if I ask what your averaging for MPG?

Also what are the “benifits” of the 3.92? I don’t see a truck as a race car, so being “quicker off the line” doesn’t appeal to me. As far as towing, I’ll be more limited by tongue weight from what I can tell and towing no more than 7-7500 lbs wet (MAX) so the upgraded towing capacity doesn’t seem to be needed?

What am I missing?

Gas mileage and acceleration are all dictated by your foot. On a recent in-town run with traffic, traffic lights, 2 stops into stores etc I was able to get 20mpg by the truck gauge with 3.92s and 34”. I mention the truck gauge because with my tires, I probably got 20.5-21 as I am not speed adjusted. Also, I was purposeful in doing this just to see what my truck can do, all stemmed from my curiousity of peoples complaints on gas mileage on this forum.

Normally I run about 16mpg around town, that is just my driving style.

Go tow with 3.21s and then do it with 3.92s, you’ll take 3.92s all day long. I say this with experience, especially because I traded in an F150 with a V8 to an Ecoboost because the V8 with 3.55s was too anemic to pull that trailer with confidence.

Your estimation of trailer weight in your current thoughts vs real world when you buy said trailer will change. You have a wife. ;)

Creep0321

Reaction score
Gas mileage and acceleration are all dictated by your foot. On a recent in-town run with traffic, traffic lights, 2 stops into stores etc I was able to get 20mpg by the truck gauge with 3.92s and 34”. I mention the truck gauge because with my tires, I probably got 20.5-21 as I am not speed adjusted. Also, I was purposeful in doing this just to see what my truck can do, all stemmed from my curiousity of peoples complaints on gas mileage on this forum.

Normally I run about 16mpg around town, that is just my driving style.

Go tow with 3.21s and then do it with 3.92s, you’ll take 3.92s all day long. I say this with experience, especially because I traded in an F150 with a V8 to an Ecoboost because the V8 with 3.55s was too anemic to pull that trailer with confidence.

Your estimation of trailer weight in your current thoughts vs real world when you buy said trailer will change. You have a wife. ;)

I do have a wife.... haha. If you are cruising at 65/70 on the highway though, what is your MPG, roughly. With my commute (and this will be my daily driver) being mostly highway, I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread