5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recall on power adjusting pedals

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called my dealer Friday and they said they did not have parts and to call back in a week. Does this fix the squeak noise some of us have had with the brake pedal linkage? I applied lithium grease and got rid of most of it but I still hear a slight noise every now and again.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also called my dealership and was told they don’t have the parts and put me on “ THE “ waiting list.........

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to know what a real waiting list get on the one for Takata air bags...... I waited nearly 2 years for a Roush Mustang I owned and traded it before they were replaced.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
live in south jersey. got my recall saturday and called the dealer. they said it could be a month before the parts come in. now i know why they had yellow recall stickers on most of their 19 rams on the lot and can't be sold. i have a great service manager so i'm just going to wait untill they get them and then i'll get it fixed.

j517

Reaction score
You move your pedals around daily? I adjusted mine to a comfortable position the day I bought and then I had to adjust them the day they did the recall. That's it. All they are doing is putting a stop in the truck to limit the forward travel.
If u read the recall you are supposed to leave it in the mid position. Well I'm 6'3 if you move the pedals to the most rear part of the vehicle is it not where the pedal may become loose or disengaged.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If u read the recall you are supposed to leave it in the mid position. Well I'm 6'3 if you move the pedals to the most rear part of the vehicle is it not where the pedal may become loose or disengaged.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I was told by service dept. (just got off the phone w/them) as long as its not in the rear most position “it should be fine.”

Rear most must mean farthest from the driver, closest to the floor board.

Anyway, parts are not yet available for this (V07) recall near me. I have to call back in a week.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Looks like the repair procedure (up thread) wants the pedals in the farthest forward (toward cowl, away from driver's seat) before disconnecting the battery and installing a) the band clamp spacer and b)stop block clamp that will restrict the limits of travel only on the "short" side.

If anyone that has had this done would look under there to confirm which extreme is travel limited and by how much?

Last edited:

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Going this Saturday for my recall, lucky me the dealership has the parts to fix the pedals.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems to be quite the disparity about which end of the pedal travel is "rearmost", how did you come to this conclusion? Just curious.
Looks like the repair procedure (up thread) wants the pedals in the farthest forward (toward cowl, away from driver's seat) before disconnecting the battery and installing a) the band clamp spacer and b)stop block clamp that will restrict the limits of travel. Presumably on each end of travel extremes.

If anyone that has had this done would look under there, but it seems travel is likely now limited in both directions by some 1/2 inch?

The repair procedure, step 14, also calls for running the pedals fully fore and aft after reconnecting the battery to "program the pedal new travel limits".

Now I’m not sure. In fact, I must be wrong??? I took rear most to mean the rear of the pedal. But, After reading the recall notice over again it says “the adjustable pedal assembly may allow the break pedal adjustment to OVER TRAVEL” so that must mean travel away from the floor towards the seat (for shorter legs). Does anyone know??? Regardless, I’m not adjusting it until its fixed.

Vic

Reaction score
Now I’m not sure. In fact, I must be wrong??? I took rear most to mean the rear of the pedal. But, After reading the recall notice over again it says “the adjustable pedal assembly may allow the break pedal adjustment to OVER TRAVEL” so that must mean travel away from the floor towards the seat (for shorter legs). Does anyone know??? Regardless, I’m not adjusting it until its fixed.

Most vehicle lingo uses the truck positions when you are in the driver's seat. Left side, right side, etc. Rearward would refer to toward the rear of the truck. My 2¢.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most vehicle lingo uses the truck positions when you are in the driver's seat. Left side, right side, etc. Rearward would refer to toward the rear of the truck. My 2¢.

This is how I understood it as well. Front of the truck is towards the engine, rear of the truck is towards the tailgate. However, if I were explaining it to someone sitting next to me, and I was talking about the pedals, I would say I have them adjusted "all the way back" (towards the engine). I think this is the problem, common lingo v.s. legal lingo. The issue being that Ram didn't specify in the notice.

Reactions: Vic

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
OK. In a motor vehicle: forward, rearward, left and right are almost universally referenced from the driver's position.
Put yourself in the seat, and it's all relative to you. If you have the hood open and you're looking at the engine from in front of the vehicle, the left side of the engine is on your right (driver's side, in a left-hand drive vehicle). Again, relative to the driver's position. This lets all vehicle techs communicate positions and directions easily and minus confusion.
Enough on that.

Today I spent some time with my head in the footwell area watching the action while I moved the pedal assembly with the switch. I moved it from stop to stop a number of times, watching and listening. As the pedal mechanism came rearward (closer to the driver), I could see more of the wormgear shaft that was hidden from view by the accelerator pedal assembly.

The spacer will only limit rearward pedal travel. If you need the pedals all the way forward (away from you), there will be no change to that position. If you need to bring the pedals closer to you, there will be about 3/8 inch to 1/2inch reduced travel to the rearward direction stop, caused by installation of the spacer. The spacer dimensions are not given, but the wormgear shaft looks to be about 3/8" diameter and the spacer height is about the same as the wormgear shaft diameter. You can see this in the pdf below.

The bolted-in stop block that is part of the recall is to ensure the brake pedal will not become detached from its mounting in the event the spacer doesn't prevent the failure of that "plastic travel nut susceptible to failure," as it was described in the recall pdf.

Anyway, hope this clears up a few things.
Safety recall V07 attached for your viewing pleasure, in case it hasn't been posted yet.

Steve

Attachments

• Safety Recall V07.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called about the parts for the recall(been waiting a month) told me today there not "allowed" to order them yet. Have any of you been given this response as well?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. Thanks for all the above explanations and clarifications.

redbranch

Reaction score
Dang. I just signed the paperwork on my new Laramie Longhorn Monday, and it was brought in from another dealer to my local dealer yesterday. Now they tell me it's under this brake pedal recall....so I can't have it until it's fixed. No idea how long it will take for them to get parts, but I am not a happy camper. Brand new truck, sitting on the lot for who knows how long until it can get the fix. :(

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang. I just signed the paperwork on my new Laramie Longhorn Monday, and it was brought in from another dealer to my local dealer yesterday. Now they tell me it's under this brake pedal recall....so I can't have it until it's fixed. No idea how long it will take for them to get parts, but I am not a happy camper. Brand new truck, sitting on the lot for who knows how long until it can get the fix. :(
That's ridiculous.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I know it sucks, but just imagine if you drove that new $70,000 off the lot and the pedal separated... That'd be a whole new level of unhappy camping! Keep your chin up, a few days is nothing in the long run!

Users who are viewing this thread