5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recall for backup cameras

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
so let me get this right they will do a recall for a camera but none for rear glass leaking on electrical components and none for cracked exhaust manifolds?
A recall is strictly safety-regulatory related. Not having a functional backup camera is a violation of the regulations.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, this addresses ONLY the camera image not appearing?

I'm in the recall, but my issue is the whole infotainment goes black randomly on startup. Stays that way till the truck is shut off and sits a while.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
So, this addresses ONLY the camera image not appearing?

I'm in the recall, but my issue is the whole infotainment goes black randomly on startup. Stays that way till the truck is shut off and sits a while.
Correct.
No help through warranty? If dealership isn't helping, escalate to @RamCares.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct.
No help through warranty? If dealership isn't helping, escalate to @RamCares.
It happens so infrequently that I forget about it. I will bring it up when I take it in for recall. I was just there Tuesday for an oil change, then it went black yesterday morning. I stopped for coffee and it was fine when I came back.

irishwake63

Reaction score
A recall is strictly safety-regulatory related. Not having a functional backup camera is a violation of the regulations.
you mean a driver will have to turn their head and use mirrors? Hardly a safety issue, but it could be a safety issue if you cannot start your truck and stranded in a possible dangerous area with the rear window leak, and Im sure with a cracked manifold there could be a possibility of a fire or carbon monoxide being drawn into the cab so theres that.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Got the notice on my app a few days ago. I'm a little surprised they're forcing people to come in for the update. We had a camera recall on our 2020 JGC a couple of years ago and had the option to come in or do it OTA. I chose OTA and had it complete in 10 minutes...never left my driveway.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you mean a driver will have to turn their head and use mirrors? Hardly a safety issue, but it could be a safety issue if you cannot start your truck and stranded in a possible dangerous area with the rear window leak, and Im sure with a cracked manifold there could be a possibility of a fire or carbon monoxide being drawn into the cab so theres that.
Nobody will ever convince you of why recalls happen and/or don't happen.

Your rear window leak, has an extended warranty so you will be safe in a dangerous area you frequent.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Nobody will ever convince you of why recalls happen and/or don't happen.

Your rear window leak, has an extended warranty so you will be safe in a dangerous area you frequent.
made no sense whatsoever

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I don't make the rules, I just try to understand them. A [functional] backup camera is a lawful requirement as of May 1, 2018 for the purpose of safety. Thus, a safety recall for non-functioning backup cameras.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaned up posts. Keep it classy San Diego

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
the two things I mentioned are just as much of a safety item than a rear camera, an exhaust leak can put Carbon Monoxide into the cabin if conditions are right and an electrical failure of you not being able to start your vehicle could as well be considered a safety issue. I was making a statement of why the 2 are not considered as such and was personally attacked by childish insults that were totally unnecessary whether or not you agree with my statement.
NHTSA does not consider them safety issues. Every manufacture has problems that happen with every vehicle of the same model. GM small blocks, for a few years, had bad intake manifolds. Every one went bad. I worked for a city, that had to replace over 50 of them. the oil leaking could have caused an engine fire. About as remote as the possibility of a manifold leaking enough carbon monoxide to be dangerous. 1 in 50 million. Not enough to be considered for a recall.

Rebel Chas

Reaction score
Recall 97A
23v-654
Adding these key words for those that might use them to search here.

I have not noticed mine having this problem but, I'm now scheduled for Nov 2nd at the dealer.

Recall 23V-654.jpg

Last edited:

DusterJoe

Reaction score
Just got called for the recall on this. Dealer Service Department stated that it's a quick computer flash. Is this going to effect the AlfaOBD changes I've made. IE Tailgate Ajar and Bedlights?

Thanks,

DusterJoe

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got called for the recall on this. Dealer Service Department stated that it's a quick computer flash. Is this going to effect the AlfaOBD changes I've made. IE Tailgate Ajar and Bedlights?

Thanks,

DusterJoe
No it won't effect that at all.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Thanks,

DusterJoe

seeing how several people do not understand what I wrote and non mechanics know more never mind

Last edited:

Loudram

Reaction score
They had my truck for a couple of hours when they did my update last week. I'm sure it didn't take that long so either the tech didn't know what he was doing or they let my truck sit for a while before they got to it. But I did have enough time to walk the lot and tick off a salesman when I asked him about why they still had a 10k market adjustment on some cars. He avoided me after that even after I told him that we might be in the market to trade our Pacifica Hybrid in for a Durango. We'll probably end up waiting until the interest rates go down anyway.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They had my truck for a couple of hours when they did my update last week. I'm sure it didn't take that long so either the tech didn't know what he was doing or they let my truck sit for a while before they got to it. But I did have enough time to walk the lot and tick off a salesman when I asked him about why they still had a 10k market adjustment on some cars. He avoided me after that even after I told him that we might be in the market to trade our Pacifica Hybrid in for a Durango. We'll probably end up waiting until the interest rates go down anyway.
You will be waiting a while. They are actually talking about increasing rates more since inflation is still going up

Loudram

Reaction score
You will be waiting a while. They are actually talking about increasing rates more since inflation is still going up
Yeah I know. Thankfully there's nothing wrong with the van and we can wait unless they can make us an offer we can't refuse because it's the end of the year. We all know the dealerships are hurting. But I won't be buying anything from that dealership. There service department is ok but there sales department are a bunch of crooks. That's why even though they are 5 minutes from my house I bought my last two trucks from other dealerships.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread