5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new rebel owner looking for oil change intervals and type

Venom700

Reaction score
I just got 3 full synthetic with tire rotations from Criswell for $149 (2 years to use). Posted the same night to my Mopar account. They said they will cover the full out the door cost with the package.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Free coffee is always good!
Ha ha, well as long as the pot isn’t burned on the element. Actually most dealers use the pods now, you get a fresher cup and more choices.

The correct oil change intervals, oil types and filters are an un-answerable question. Everyone has their own ideas/opinions from the 3K change guys (like me but it’s an antiquated practice that has no relative bearing anymore due to the quality put out now) to the 15K synthetic folks.

Just do what the manual says or more often and you’ll keep your warranty coverage. That’s really the rub, go too far on the intervals and risk a denial of warranty for certain engine problems. It’s so easy to just get it changed, free coffee notwithstanding. Now the ecodiesel crowd with their $150-200 ish changes could be a different issue altogether.

JB500

Reaction score
You may want to let the dealer do your first oil change, many owners are reporting that the factory oil filters were installed by gorillas on the hemi trucks.
I just did an oil change at 500 miles on a new 21 5.7 and the filter was a bear to remove. It took every extension I have in my box and a 1/2in ratchet to get the 3 prong style gripper to get this thing to budge. The engine was up to temps and it didn't help break it loose. I don't have the smaller band style wrench...yet...for removal. Interesting point was how discolored the oil was with only 500 miles on the clock. I am a hot rodder at heart and 500 miles is the time to swap out the oil and filter after first fire. It kept my 440 alive and why not it's little brother? I'll go 5K mile intervals.

Just got rid of a 2012 Ram that had 182K miles on it and changed oil around every 5-6K.

PUP 5W-20 and a M1-113A was what I used to refill.

Attachments

• 20210102_131115.jpg
    20210102_131115.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210102_131138.jpg
    20210102_131138.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

jimmyj

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and advice. Lots of you keep referring to follow the OM for interval and type. I explained in the begging post the OM does not give an interval. Period. Not one. It does state the spec of MS-6395 Mopar oil but does not give an interval at all on oil changes. It list all other maintenance items but not OCI. It only states follow the indicator when it lites up to change the oil.
On another subject i see lots of avg fuel millage showing 12.5 or 13 max. These trucks with the 5.7 hemi are supposed to get 15 city and 21 hwy. Mine is showing avg of 13.5. I traded in a 2015 Tundra 5.7 that got better millage than this. I expected to do better than what i am seeing on the Ram.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and advice. Lots of you keep referring to follow the OM for interval and type. I explained in the begging post the OM does not give an interval. Period. Not one. It does state the spec of MS-6395 Mopar oil but does not give an interval at all on oil changes. It list all other maintenance items but not OCI. It only states follow the indicator when it lites up to change the oil.
On another subject i see lots of avg fuel millage showing 12.5 or 13 max. These trucks with the 5.7 hemi are supposed to get 15 city and 21 hwy. Mine is showing avg of 13.5. I traded in a 2015 Tundra 5.7 that got better millage than this. I expected to do better than what i am seeing on the Ram.

Unfortunately the EPA estimate for a Rebel is based off of a 3.92 4x4 crew cab tradesmen. FCA did the dirty deed of being cheap and did not pay to get a Rebel configuration tested and certified. TFL did a video on this and compared it to the trail boss, which was rated for it's configuration.
The off road tires and slight lift of the Rebel account for the discrepancy you're seeing. I have seen my mileage vary just based on my commute route, these trucks do not like stop lights... they're a lot of mass to get moving again.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
The OCI will adjust for your driving conditions. Somewhere in the oil change threads (see post 12) there is a discussion on the topic and a google search will have articles explaining how they work. In my own experience the OCI accounted for the regular oil installed on my 2nd oil change versus synthetic for others. The difference from what I can recall was on path for a 7,000 mile oil change versus a 10,000 mile change.
I don't know how they calculate city driving mpg but I can assure you it is not similar to the NYC metro area but I have no problem with hwy mpg particularly on flat, straight roads and no head wind.
Almost 22,000 miles and still smiling when I get in to drive.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
It only states follow the indicator when it lites up to change the oil.
You have just confirmed that your owners manual does in fact have the OCI in it, the oil life monitor IS the official FCA interval for the Hemi 5.7L. It also has the warning not to exceed 10K, one year or 350 hours on the oil.

Jako

Reaction score
I have not done it since I purchased the vehicle but I have the oil life % remaining on my display.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
How old is your truck and how many miles?
Nov. 24th 2018, 22K. Not sure if I remember my Ram anniversary because of my wedding anniversary, Nov. 26th or I remember the wedding anniversary because of the Ram.

page 167 of the owner's manual
Vehicle Info Push and release the up or down arrow button until the Vehicle Info menu icon is displayed in the instrument cluster display. Push and release the left or right arrow button to scroll through the information submenus and push and release the OK button to select or reset the resettable submenus. • Tire Pressure • Trans Temp (Automatic only) • Oil Temperature • Oil Life • Air Suspension — If Equipped • Coolant Temperature — If Equipped • Oil Pressure — If Equipped • Battery Voltage — If Equipped • Gauge Summary — If Equipped • Engine Hours 3

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nov. 24th 2018, 22K. Not sure if I remember my Ram anniversary because of my wedding anniversary, Nov. 26th or I remember the wedding anniversary because of the Ram.
OK...so assuming you are joking here about having not changed your oil ;)

Jako

Reaction score
OK...so assuming you are joking here about having not changed your oil ;)
LOL, communication errors, I have not entered the "oil life" on the display since new so I was not able to recall or remember where or how to add it to the display. It seemed he was aware of the warning but not the oil life % left. I added the % to the post.

Cortesio

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 30,000 miles in my truck and will be getting my third oil change here in a week or so. I chose to go the full 10k miles on the original oil and have it tested to see if there was a definite benefit to an earlier change. In the report, I was looking for any indication that the oil was deteriorated and no longer serving its function in the engine. Some of the metal counts were a little elevated, as you'd expect, but the oil was not saturated with contaminants and it still had useful life in it. My second oil change at around 20k showed only copper still lingering in the higher than normal range.

The common wisdom of changing oil more often is based on the idea that higher mileage oil has degraded to a point that it doesn't function as well as new oil. Oil doesn't last forever, but the tests show it's still doing its job even out to 10k miles.

oil1.png

oil2.png

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 30,000 miles in my truck and will be getting my third oil change here in a week or so. I chose to go the full 10k miles on the original oil and have it tested to see if there was a definite benefit to an earlier change. In the report, I was looking for any indication that the oil was deteriorated and no longer serving its function in the engine. Some of the metal counts were a little elevated, as you'd expect, but the oil was not saturated with contaminants and it still had useful life in it. My second oil change at around 20k showed only copper still lingering in the higher than normal range.

The common wisdom of changing oil more often is based on the idea that higher mileage oil has degraded to a point that it doesn't function as well as new oil. Oil doesn't last forever, but the tests show it's still doing its job even out to 10k miles.

View attachment 78696

View attachment 78697
Thanks for sharing those UOAs! With TBN at 2.0 and 2.6 after 10K proves the oil can be safely used that long in the 5.7L and early changes really aren’t necessary. Copper is from the oil cooler and isn’t from wear, and copper is a “soft” non abrasive metal that is nothing to worry about. What was the second oil?

Cortesio

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those UOAs! With TBN at 2.0 and 2.6 after 10K proves the oil can be safely used that long in the 5.7L and early changes really aren’t necessary. Copper is from the oil cooler and isn’t from wear, and copper is a “soft” non abrasive metal that is nothing to worry about. What was the second oil?
I got both changes done at the dealership I bought the truck from. I have used full synthetic in both changes.

futuruss

Reaction score
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-20

soSincerious

Reaction score
Modern oil has been proven to be far more robust than the old timers (and therefore those they taught) are used to.

Great info in those UOAs and more so from those who know how to read them

Users who are viewing this thread