5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
у меня нет контактов и гарантия закончилась. Я предлагаю напрямую связаться с вашим дилером или механиком.

21LTD

Reaction score
So I started having this issue for the first time on my '21 Limited w/ 33 Gallon tank. I've read through the whole thread here, and wanted to post my suspicions as I start to troubleshoot. I'm not interested in taking it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

1) The first time this happened for me was this past weekend, which possibly coincidentally is the first time the truck was outside in below freezing temps this year. Normally garage kept, plus Texas, so it doesn't see a lot of freezing temps.

2) Based on what I've learned here- my guess is the problem is the vent tube, not the filler neck. My suspicion is that any water vapor in the air that's in the tank may condense and freeze in the vent line, causing it to clog up. There seems to be a lot more posts about this with winter post dates. I haven't tried to refuel now that temps are warmer, but will do this prior to moving on to 3) below.

3) My plan is to disconnect the vent line below the canister, spray carb cleaner in the line to try and clear any sludge or debris, then follow with compressed air to clear the vent line. I imagine I'll need to push a hose down the filler neck when doing this to open the valve at the base of the filler neck and allow that compressed air a path to leave the tank.

Any thoughts / feedback from the hive mind on this approach?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The vent tube comes from a charcoal canister, and the same fueling symptoms happen when you overfill and soak the charcoal, so you want to spray liquid in it? It has been diagnosed as a sticky check valve in the vent solenoid, and if you had the time and finesse, I guess you could take the vent canister apart and clean just the valve? Might be a permanently assembled part, i.e. welded plastic. I'm not saying it wouldn't possibly work, but that would be in a list of escalating fixes in the TSB if it did, to save some warranty $.

blunderblorm

Reaction score
So I started having this issue for the first time on my '21 Limited w/ 33 Gallon tank. I've read through the whole thread here, and wanted to post my suspicions as I start to troubleshoot. I'm not interested in taking it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

1) The first time this happened for me was this past weekend, which possibly coincidentally is the first time the truck was outside in below freezing temps this year. Normally garage kept, plus Texas, so it doesn't see a lot of freezing temps.

2) Based on what I've learned here- my guess is the problem is the vent tube, not the filler neck. My suspicion is that any water vapor in the air that's in the tank may condense and freeze in the vent line, causing it to clog up. There seems to be a lot more posts about this with winter post dates. I haven't tried to refuel now that temps are warmer, but will do this prior to moving on to 3) below.

3) My plan is to disconnect the vent line below the canister, spray carb cleaner in the line to try and clear any sludge or debris, then follow with compressed air to clear the vent line. I imagine I'll need to push a hose down the filler neck when doing this to open the valve at the base of the filler neck and allow that compressed air a path to leave the tank.

Any thoughts / feedback from the hive mind on this approach?
You could try replacing the ESIM, there is a weight and plenum that lifts as you fill gas to allow the vapors being pushed out by the new fuel going in through the canister. It's a ~$35 part and that was my issue or so the dealership said. It is also very easy to replace. This site has details on the part: ESIM on late model Chrysler vehicles

Arc72

Reaction score
Поставил штуцер еще и подключил перед абсорбером. Получился воздушный канал паралельно штатной магистрали. Вот что сделали наши парни для заправки без проблем.

Attachments

• photo_5256152076466115194_y.jpg
    photo_5256152076466115194_y.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 64
  • photo_5256152076466115195_y.jpg
    photo_5256152076466115195_y.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 62
  • photo_5256152076466115197_y.jpg
    photo_5256152076466115197_y.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 63

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Поставил штуцер еще и подключил перед абсорбером. Получился воздушный канал паралельно штатной магистрали. Вот что сделали наши парни для заправки без проблем.
интересный

ehsiii

Reaction score
Можете ли вы сказать мне, что именно было сделано, чтобы это исправить?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What am I looking at? There is an additional hose.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like it. I guess to help it vent air out when fueling? Not sure how it was before for comparison
After studying the pictures more, it looks like the hose bypasses the internal pressure relief circuit. It still emits through the canister.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
After studying the pictures more, it looks like the hose bypasses the internal pressure relief circuit. It still emits through the canister.
Will this dirupt the evap system vacuum test I wonder?

Arc72

Reaction score
Интересно, помешает ли это проверке вакуума в системе испарителя?
Это полностью исправит ситуацию с заправкой. Проблемы уйдут. Лишь нужно поставить тройник в основную магистраль и вкрутить дополнительный отвод в сам бак. Обратная сторона отвода должна быть 5 - 7 см.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Это полностью исправит ситуацию с заправкой. Проблемы уйдут. Лишь нужно поставить тройник в основную магистраль и вкрутить дополнительный отвод в сам бак. Обратная сторона отвода должна быть 5 - 7 см.
Спасибо, мой друг

nyskyman10

Reaction score
Is anyone with a 2021 still having this issue?

It was awful with my 2019 but never had a single occurrence in my 2021. I figured it was part of the "1st year of a new body style" issue list.
I filled up for the first time and had never experienced anything like it with any car previously. I got to the pump, selected the gas, (ram has no gas cap - weird), and stuck it in. Right away it stopped. Then stopped again. And again. I finally got to a happy place by pulling about half-way on it and it filled up, but I was pissed. Its a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, pre-owned. My first pickup. The strangest thing is that it filled to about 20 gallons but I have a 26 gallon Tank. So I am assuming there is like 6 gallons of reserve?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I filled up for the first time and had never experienced anything like it with any car previously. I got to the pump, selected the gas, (ram has no gas cap - weird), and stuck it in. Right away it stopped. Then stopped again. And again. I finally got to a happy place by pulling about half-way on it and it filled up, but I was pissed. Its a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie, pre-owned. My first pickup. The strangest thing is that it filled to about 20 gallons but I have a 26 gallon Tank. So I am assuming there is like 6 gallons of reserve?
If you bought it used, you don't know it's history. Over filling the tank can cause this problem. It's mot just Ram, it's many new cars. It's due to emissions systems. If it over fills, gas gets into the vent system, and it can't vent, causing the gas to back up in the filler neck. You can never get the amount of gas into the size tank it is, because that is the dry capacity. There is also a little buffer, so it says empty, before it runs out. Are you sure it's a 26? Many are 23. When it says empty, you generally have about 3 gallons left. They can not suck the last couple gallons out of the tank, so even if you run out of gas, there will still be a couple gallons in there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you bought it used, you don't know it's history. Over filling the tank can cause this problem. It's mot just Ram, it's many new cars. It's due to emissions systems. If it over fills, gas gets into the vent system, and it can't vent, causing the gas to back up in the filler neck. You can never get the amount of gas into the size tank it is, because that is the dry capacity. There is also a little buffer, so it says empty, before it runs out. Are you sure it's a 26? Many are 23. When it says empty, you generally have about 3 gallons left. They can not suck the last couple gallons out of the tank, so even if you run out of gas, there will still be a couple gallons in there.
You can most definitely suck the last few gallons out of the tank. I've put 25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank before.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I occasionally have it with my 22’ problem is it’s not all the time and sometimes is dependent on what station I fill up at.
That is part of the confusion here because there are certainly several ways this condition can occur, and it can be difficult to diagnose the specific problem you may have. In my case which I believe is the most severe, I could not put gas in the tank without the nozzle cutting off no matter how you moved it around or what speed you tried to fill the tank or what gas station I went to.

If only every once in a while, something like this happens to you its most likely one of the less severe fixes. If it happens every time run, don't walk to the dealer because it isn't going to do anything but get worse.

Since my tank was replaced, (with the newly designed version) I have not had this happen a single time.

Users who are viewing this thread