5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New info on Gas tank fueling issue

rodneyiii

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I also recently had the annoying fuel fill-up problem with my 2023 Limited 33 gal. tank. It was half empty so there was no reason the pump nozzle should keep clicking off. For years, I have always filled my vehicles at a rate of 0.1 gal/second since faster speeds are unreliable with most pumps. This was the 2nd fill-up I've done since buying the truck. I was using fuel points at a local Harris Teeter station and had filled my wife's Honda CR-V with no shutoff issues. Using the same pump during the transaction, I attempted to fill up my truck. It was brutal and took at least 15 minutes. I ended up turning on the truck's display so I could monitor the tank fuel level. It took 20 gallons but was very frustrating to get it in the tank. I tried all angles and depths with the nozzle and could occasionally get a few gallons in before it tripped off. The truck is at the dealer today for a few minor electronic issues and I mentioned the fill up problem so that could be checked as well. We'll see...

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I experienced this over the weekend as well. I tried using the smaller flow rate but it still clicked off. I ended up finding an angle that worked and held it to the wide for the duration. I put in about 20 gallons as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I also recently had the annoying fuel fill-up problem with my 2023 Limited 33 gal. tank. It was half empty so there was no reason the pump nozzle should keep clicking off. For years, I have always filled my vehicles at a rate of 0.1 gal/second since faster speeds are unreliable with most pumps. This was the 2nd fill-up I've done since buying the truck. I was using fuel points at a local Harris Teeter station and had filled my wife's Honda CR-V with no shutoff issues. Using the same pump during the transaction, I attempted to fill up my truck. It was brutal and took at least 15 minutes. I ended up turning on the truck's display so I could monitor the tank fuel level. It took 20 gallons but was very frustrating to get it in the tank. I tried all angles and depths with the nozzle and could occasionally get a few gallons in before it tripped off. The truck is at the dealer today for a few minor electronic issues and I mentioned the fill up problem so that could be checked as well. We'll see...
I've had it happen one time with my truck. Next fill up, and all successive, have not had any issues. Not sure what the deal was with that one fill up, because I have used that exact same pump since then without issue

rodneyiii

Reaction score
Depends on the pumps even with the same style too.
I have a local BJs I get gas from and out of 4 pumps, only 1 works. I end up waiting in line for a particular nozzle even if the others are free, people think i'm blind or something.
I think that issue is caused by the nozzle sensitivity being too high. I think the stores are too paranoid of a spill or that the pump techs don't adjust the click off level properly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think that issue is caused by the nozzle sensitivity being too high. I think the stores are too paranoid of a spill or that the pump techs don't adjust the click off level properly.
I don't think that's a thing as far as science is concerned.
You can't adjust the sensitivity of a vacuum system.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
I don't think that's a thing as far as science is concerned.
You can't adjust the sensitivity of a vacuum system.
You are correct. I did some reading AFTER my post to see how the nozzles work. However, if the nozzle tip is worn or damaged, excess foaming can contribute to covering the air sensor hole which trips off the flow.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are correct. I did some reading AFTER my post to see how the nozzles work. However, if the nozzle tip is worn or damaged, excess foaming can contribute to covering the air sensor hole which trips off the flow.
Which would mean that everyone using the pump would have that problem right?
Here is a very good video on it from the company that actually makes these nozzles.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
Which would mean that everyone using the pump would have that problem right?
After having the truck serviced by the dealer, the tech indicated "Secondary flapper valve was broken and blocking the fill tube. Replaced fuel filler neck." I didn't see the original neck to verify the flapper was broken so fingers crossed at the next fill-up. I could feel that 2nd flapper opening when I inserted the pump nozzle.

July update - I've filled the truck twice since the filler neck was replaced and all is well.

Last edited:

Roaddog359

Reaction score
I am going back for my 3rd new fuel tank. They soaked me for 1000+ dollars to get the first tanks since I was just past 3yr 36000. Even though I told them this issue has gone on and just got worse we'll within my warranty. They did not care. I can't see how they fixed anything if I am getting a 3rd new 33 gal tank on my 2021 ram limited.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Dealer replaced my tank past the warranty period as a good will, they also replaced the fill tube which they made me pay for. It's been about 6 months and no issues. I don't top off the tank anymore, not sure if that has anything to do with it but not worth trying to squeeze a few extra miles in.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Dealer replaced my tank past the warranty period as a good will, they also replaced the fill tube which they made me pay for Been about 6 months and no issues. I don't top off the tank any more, not sure if that has anything to do with it but not worth trying to squeeze a few extra miles in.

That seems to be the main cause. I've never had the patience to squeeze another 1/4 gallon of fuel into my tank and so far, no fueling issues.

Meen318

Reaction score
I changed my tank and one of the vapor lines this week on my 2020 Big Horn 5.7L with the 26 gallon tank. It was about a 3-4 hour job for me. My truck was out of warranty but only has 27K miles on it. A couple of notes, I used a Youtube video and it was of great help on what hoses to unhook. YouTube Gas Tank Swap I did not upgrade tanks like this guy, but the video gives you what needs to be done.

I did mine on the ground with the back wheels jacked up. I had a sore neck the next day. Be careful with the clips holding the lines/hoses on, the video shows a tough connector near the fuel pump and I agree. I did break one of the two clips (white one) on this line and O'Reilly had an assortment that had the clip I needed in it. It did fix the issue, no more chugging gas in after the pump clicks.

I would say you need at least a medium mechanical aptitude and good flexibility. Take your time and you'll get it. If you do this, have the truck on empty before your start.
If the "tough" connector you speak of is the vent line with the blue clip, the guy in the video did that one wrong. You pull out the blue locking tab and just press in on the white part like a button. I came right off for me, even with one hand reaching in from the wheel well. Just letting others know before they break the white tab side.

BowDown

Reaction score
I only have this problem intermittently and at the same pumps consistently. If I go to a different pump on another island or the second pump on the same island no issues.
I don't know that I believe that it's the truck as much as it is the pump handle and I only started having this problem when Costco changed their handles.

I simply now just avoid those specific pumps when I fill up and don't have the problem often enough for it to be of any concern.

ckimmel

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this a few weeks ago. Very difficult to fill. 2019 Ram BigHorn V6 with about 53K miles on it. I got online with mopar.com to check warranty and such. I pointed them to this bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222984-9999.pdf) and they made it sound like there was an actual recall and that my vehicle wasn't included in the recall. Does anyone have the recall information? They said I'd have to get the dealer to fix it and that I should keep all receipts, in case it does get recalled. Has anyone paid out of pocket for this fix? How much is it? I'm betting from empty, it'd take me 30 minutes to fill the tank. Right now I'm only doing a few gallons at a time because I get so frustrated with it. Are there any proven work arounds? I've tried all sorts of other pumps and angles. PITA!

6of36

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this a few weeks ago. Very difficult to fill. 2019 Ram BigHorn V6 with about 53K miles on it. I got online with mopar.com to check warranty and such. I pointed them to this bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222984-9999.pdf) and they made it sound like there was an actual recall and that my vehicle wasn't included in the recall. Does anyone have the recall information? They said I'd have to get the dealer to fix it and that I should keep all receipts, in case it does get recalled. Has anyone paid out of pocket for this fix? How much is it? I'm betting from empty, it'd take me 30 minutes to fill the tank. Right now I'm only doing a few gallons at a time because I get so frustrated with it. Are there any proven work arounds? I've tried all sorts of other pumps and angles. PITA!
It probably is not a recall, just a fix. Recalls are for safety items mandated by the NHTSA. They could issue an extended warranty, like they did for canadian trucks, for the 3rd brake light, but don't hold your breath. I don't know the cost, but I think somewhere, I saw a post that someone did pay. Just optioning the larger tank is $450, so $900 to $1,000 wouldn't surprise me. Like they said, if you pay, save the receipt, in case they ever do cover it, to get reimbursed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It probably is not a recall, just a fix. Recalls are for safety items mandated by the NHTSA. They could issue an extended warranty, like they did for canadian trucks, for the 3rd brake light, but don't hold your breath. I don't know the cost, but I think somewhere, I saw a post that someone did pay. Just optioning the larger tank is $450, so $900 to $1,000 wouldn't surprise me. Like they said, if you pay, save the receipt, in case they ever do cover it, to get reimbursed.
There was no recall.
There's a handful of TSB, which are just tech notes.
Tons of people get tanks or other things replaced paying cash and the problem still happens.
I think $600 was the going rate for one person to get the tank changed at the dealership

ckimmel

Reaction score
There was no recall.
There's a handful of TSB, which are just tech notes.
Tons of people get tanks or other things replaced paying cash and the problem still happens.
I think $600 was the going rate for one person to get the tank changed at the dealership
So frustrating. The safety part of it would be working the pump nozzle to try to get it to pump and end up spilling gas all over the place. Have done that multiple times onto my feet. :)

I've seen one fix where a guy shoved a small hose into the tank from the gas cap and it moved some flap and fixed it, and another where they blew air into the tank from the gas cap also. Guess I'll try that.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Welp, stopped at 4 different gas stations on the way home and put $10 in the tank at each station without issue. As I said in my previous post, I'm not getting too excited because of all the failed Vapor Canister fixes. It seems like a few people have had the EVAP repair work for a few fill-ups/a few months only to need the tank replaced as an actual fix. Anyone know why the EVAP thing might work temporarily? Is all the jostling of the fuel tank area loosening the rollover valve in the fuel tank that is the actual problem?
Figured I'd post an update:

12k miles and 6ish months later - EVAP repair still working for me (knock on wood).

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I fill up my f150 at work, when it clicks off for full, it’s slap full. If you try to put any more after the click, fuel spills out the vent line. No issues filling tho. If we could find an easy way to vent, it would prob be ok. Luckily I don’t have many issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online